Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 07:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
Let me share w/ you what I found.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm

http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot...od-sources.html

Both of O-6 and O-3 are important to our body. The question is on the ratio.

I am glad my favorite Canola Oil is in 2:1 good ratio.
Also my favorite foods(Milk, Cheese, Yogurt) are in good ration.

I am surprised that Olive oil(loved by Low-Carbers) is in bad ratio 13:1.

Very astute observation. This is why we should eat mostly animal fats and supplement our O-3 intake.

Note: Regina Wilshire compiled this information in 2006. Since then, nutritiondata.com has made it very easy to find the absolute amounts of O-6 and O-3 fats in foods.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 08:34

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%

I heard back from my MIL, she read the article and said she thought he was on track. She also knows of him by his reputation here in the valley. He is very respected.

FYI
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 09:34

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
My brother is a Medical Doctor. Once I ask him how many courses(required or elected) he took regarding "Food and Nutrition". The answer is surprising "Zero".
Yet, people still keep asking "Food and Nutrition" advice from their MDs.
Then they blame their MDs for know nothing about "Food and Nutrition".
Next, people is going to blame their MDs for Unemployment Rate and Social problems.

MDs are already meddling in another area they have no professional qualifications for - gun ownership.

In any case, nutritionists go to school for 4 years worth of nutrition classes that basically teach them falsehoods. Are you likely to get decent nutrition advice from a typical nutritionist?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 09:50
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
In any case, nutritionists go to school for 4 years worth of nutrition classes that basically teach them falsehoods. Are you likely to get decent nutrition advice from a typical nutritionist?

Not one that holds to what was taught in school rather than venturing into the science, studies, real life observations and more.

I took some of those nutrition courses that are required by nutritionists/dieticians. I learned that saturated fat kills you, grains are a must, a serum cholesterol level over 200 leads to a heart attack, lots and lots of PUFA is a good thing, meat gives you cancer and kidney disease, the Food Pyramid is the right way to eat, weight management is simply about eating less and moving more (kcals in vs. kcals out.) Everything I do now is pretty much the opposite of what I learned - because it works for me (weight and health.) Following what I learned did not work for me - I could lose weight, but my health did not improve.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 11:58
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
They probably investigated him and dug up what they could because he was unconventional. He said he had a low death rate, which isn't hard to believe at all.
Yep, that charge along with "The China Study" might be enough for naysayers (who believe Dr. Atkins died of an heart attack) to shoot down his message as disinformation.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 14:53

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

what oils are best for frying? I am currently using coconut oil & olive oil. I am confused about all the O3 vs O6 etc.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 16:58
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Coconut instead of olive, for frying, as it has a much higher smoke point.

Nice to see a good article. How frustrating it must be, not just for all of us but for people who work with medical patients every day, who see people ill and dying over this lunacy in the corporatist-dominated food world, and then when they manage to save some people, they get attacked by that world. Much as Atkins did of course.

PJ
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-12, 10:00
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

#39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 12:53

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Very astute observation. This is why we should eat mostly animal fats and supplement our O-3 intake.

Note: Regina Wilshire compiled this information in 2006. Since then, nutritiondata.com has made it very easy to find the absolute amounts of O-6 and O-3 fats in foods.

http://www.arthritistoday.org/nutri...nflammation.php

Quote on
Further studies revealed that a compound in the oil, called oleocanthal, prevents the production of pro-inflammatory COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes – the same way NSAIDs work
Quote off

Apparently, "oleocanthal" plays more important role than "O-6 and O-3 ratio" which they easily forgot to mention.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 12:57

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmoon
what oils are best for frying? I am currently using coconut oil & olive oil. I am confused about all the O3 vs O6 etc.

Saturated fat such as animal fat...

Still, eat raw or boiling water cooking is the safest way and make sure you stir the food and not touching the pan.

"The amount of AGEs present in all food categories was related to cooking temperature, length of cooking time, and presence of moisture. Broiling (225°C) and frying (177°C) resulted in the highest levels of AGEs, followed by roasting (177°C) and boiling (100°C)."

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth....0917-4/abstract

Last edited by locarb4avr : Sun, Mar-18-12 at 13:15.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 16:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:

"Further studies revealed that a compound in the oil, called oleocanthal, prevents the production of pro-inflammatory COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes – the same way NSAIDs work.'

Apparently, "oleocanthal" plays more important role than "O-6 and O-3 ratio" which they easily forgot to mention.

Well, I'll be darned. Thanks for this tidbit. I'm going to work "oleocanthal" into my conversations this week. As soon as they synthesize this/these compound(s), I expect this to become a marketing/advertising feature of olive oil.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 08:35

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:

Quote on
Further studies revealed that a compound in the oil, called oleocanthal, prevents the production of pro-inflammatory COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes – the same way NSAIDs work
Quote off

Well, I'll be darned! And thank you so much. I am seeing orthopedists (they each do a different bone joint, ha ha)...and facing several replacement joints...because of steroid use ...AVN..) and three of them have scratched their heads in amazement after seeing my MRI's and kept saying 'You're allergic to NSAIDS...but we can't figure WHY you don't have MASSIVE inflammation with this!'.

I'm going to print this off and give it to them...they just pull a 'blank' when I try and tell them how long I've lowcarbed as a lifestyle...and I'm the 'how and why' disabled 'kiddo' so this is really finding a 'piece of my puzzle'.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/235/200 Male 75 in
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Heart Surgeon on Heart Disease

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/2...s-Heart-Disease

A friend of mine forwarded this to me. I thought it was interesting.

Heart
Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease
Dr. Dwight Lundell
PreventDisease
Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:58 CST
Print
Dr Lundell
© n/a
We physicians with all our training, knowledge and authority often acquire a rather large ego that tends to make it difficult to admit we are wrong. So, here it is. I freely admit to being wrong. As a heart surgeon with 25 years experience, having performed over 5,000 open-heart surgeries, today is my day to right the wrong with medical and scientific fact.

I trained for many years with other prominent physicians labelled "opinion makers." Bombarded with scientific literature, continually attending education seminars, we opinion makers insisted heart disease resulted from the simple fact of elevated blood cholesterol.

The only accepted therapy was prescribing medications to lower cholesterol and a diet that severely restricted fat intake. The latter of course we insisted would lower cholesterol and heart disease. Deviations from these recommendations were considered heresy and could quite possibly result in malpractice.

It Is Not Working!

These recommendations are no longer scientifically or morally defensible. The discovery a few years ago that inflammation in the artery wall is the real cause of heart disease is slowly leading to a paradigm shift in how heart disease and other chronic ailments will be treated.

The long-established dietary recommendations have created epidemics of obesity and diabetes, the consequences of which dwarf any historical plague in terms of mortality, human suffering and dire economic consequences.

Despite the fact that 25% of the population takes expensive statin medications and despite the fact we have reduced the fat content of our diets, more Americans will die this year of heart disease than ever before.

Statistics from the American Heart Association show that 75 million Americans currently suffer from heart disease, 20 million have diabetes and 57 million have pre-diabetes. These disorders are affecting younger and younger people in greater numbers every year.

Simply stated, without inflammation being present in the body, there is no way that cholesterol would accumulate in the wall of the blood vessel and cause heart disease and strokes. Without inflammation, cholesterol would move freely throughout the body as nature intended. It is inflammation that causes cholesterol to become trapped.

Inflammation is not complicated -- it is quite simply your body's natural defence to a foreign invader such as a bacteria, toxin or virus. The cycle of inflammation is perfect in how it protects your body from these bacterial and viral invaders. However, if we chronically expose the body to injury by toxins or foods the human body was never designed to process,a condition occurs called chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is just as harmful as acute inflammation is beneficial.

What thoughtful person would willfully expose himself repeatedly to foods or other substances that are known to cause injury to the body? Well, smokers perhaps, but at least they made that choice willfully.

The rest of us have simply followed the recommended mainstream diet that is low in fat and high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates, not knowing we were causing repeated injury to our blood vessels. This repeated injury creates chronic inflammation leading to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.

Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine.

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.

Take a moment to visualize rubbing a stiff brush repeatedly over soft skin until it becomes quite red and nearly bleeding. you kept this up several times a day, every day for five years. If you could tolerate this painful brushing, you would have a bleeding, swollen infected area that became worse with each repeated injury. This is a good way to visualize the inflammatory process that could be going on in your body right now.

Regardless of where the inflammatory process occurs, externally or internally, it is the same. I have peered inside thousands upon thousands of arteries. A diseased artery looks as if someone took a brush and scrubbed repeatedly against its wall. Several times a day, every day, the foods we eat create small injuries compounding into more injuries, causing the body to respond continuously and appropriately with inflammation.

While we savor the tantalizing taste of a sweet roll, our bodies respond alarmingly as if a foreign invader arrived declaring war. Foods loaded with sugars and simple carbohydrates, or processed with omega-6 oils for long shelf life have been the mainstay of the American diet for six decades. These foods have been slowly poisoning everyone.

How does eating a simple sweet roll create a cascade of inflammation to make you sick?

Imagine spilling syrup on your keyboard and you have a visual of what occurs inside the cell. When we consume simple carbohydrates such as sugar, blood sugar rises rapidly. In response, your pancreas secretes insulin whose primary purpose is to drive sugar into each cell where it is stored for energy. If the cell is full and does not need glucose, it is rejected to avoid extra sugar gumming up the works.

When your full cells reject the extra glucose, blood sugar rises producing more insulin and the glucose converts to stored fat.

What does all this have to do with inflammation? Blood sugar is controlled in a very narrow range. Extra sugar molecules attach to a variety of proteins that in turn injure the blood vessel wall. This repeated injury to the blood vessel wall sets off inflammation. When you spike your blood sugar level several times a day, every day, it is exactly like taking sandpaper to the inside of your delicate blood vessels.

While you may not be able to see it, rest assured it is there. I saw it in over 5,000 surgical patients spanning 25 years who all shared one common denominator -- inflammation in their arteries.

Let's get back to the sweet roll. That innocent looking goody not only contains sugars, it is baked in one of many omega-6 oils such as soybean. Chips and fries are soaked in soybean oil; processed foods are manufactured with omega-6 oils for longer shelf life. While omega-6's are essential -they are part of every cell membrane controlling what goes in and out of the cell -- they must be in the correct balance with omega-3's.

If the balance shifts by consuming excessive omega-6, the cell membrane produces chemicals called cytokines that directly cause inflammation.

Today's mainstream American diet has produced an extreme imbalance of these two fats. The ratio of imbalance ranges from 15:1 to as high as 30:1 in favor of omega-6. That's a tremendous amount of cytokines causing inflammation. In today's food environment, a 3:1 ratio would be optimal and healthy.

To make matters worse, the excess weight you are carrying from eating these foods creates overloaded fat cells that pour out large quantities of pro-inflammatory chemicals that add to the injury caused by having high blood sugar. The process that began with a sweet roll turns into a vicious cycle over time that creates heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and finally, Alzheimer's disease, as the inflammatory process continues unabated.

There is no escaping the fact that the more we consume prepared and processed foods, the more we trip the inflammation switch little by little each day. The human body cannot process, nor was it designed to consume, foods packed with sugars and soaked in omega-6 oils.

There is but one answer to quieting inflammation, and that is returning to foods closer to their natural state. To build muscle, eat more protein. Choose carbohydrates that are very complex such as colorful fruits and vegetables. Cut down on or eliminate inflammation- causing omega-6 fats like corn and soybean oil and the processed foods that are made from them.

One tablespoon of corn oil contains 7,280 mg of omega-6; soybean contains 6,940 mg. Instead, use olive oil or butter from grass-fed beef.

Animal fats contain less than 20% omega-6 and are much less likely to cause inflammation than the supposedly healthy oils labelled polyunsaturated. Forget the "science" that has been drummed into your head for decades. The science that saturated fat alone causes heart disease is non-existent. The science that saturated fat raises blood cholesterol is also very weak. Since we now know that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, the concern about saturated fat is even more absurd today.

The cholesterol theory led to the no-fat, low-fat recommendations that in turn created the very foods now causing an epidemic of inflammation. Mainstream medicine made a terrible mistake when it advised people to avoid saturated fat in favor of foods high in omega-6 fats. We now have an epidemic of arterial inflammation leading to heart disease and other silent killers.

What you can do is choose whole foods your grandmother served and not those your mom turned to as grocery store aisles filled with manufactured foods. By eliminating inflammatory foods and adding essential nutrients from fresh unprocessed food, you will reverse years of damage in your arteries and throughout your body from consuming the typical American diet.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/181/175 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 85%

Welcome to the fold, Dr. Lundell.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 14:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Lets hope a few more stand up and tell it how it is - thats if the big food and pharma industries let them!!!!!

......... can you imagine the chaos and litigations that would fly around if this happened????

Jo xxx