Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 01:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why fasting is the new way to lose weight (and live longer)

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
25 February, 2012

Why fasting is the new way to lose weight (and live longer)

Dr John Briffa

New research suggests that skipping meals, if done correctly, can be good for your health and an aid to weight loss

“Eat three meals every day” has been part of dietary and weight-loss dogma for decades. But if the reports from a conference in Vancouver last week about a new way of eating are anything to go by, the received wisdom is set to change.

Research by American government scientists at the National Institute on Aging suggest that fasting could be the route to a healthier life. Extreme calorific restriction — tested on animals — has the potential to protect against age-related diseases, including dementia, according to the studies. Aside from this news there has recently been growing interest in what is known as “intermittent fasting”, the practice of food restriction that may involve extended periods, sometimes whole days, without eating. While intermittent fasting appears to contradict an essential credo of healthy eating advice, there is evidence that it can enhance body composition and health, and may even extend life too.

In one study published last year, overweight and obese women undertook daily (1,500 calories a day), or intermittent caloric restriction (650 calories on two days each week) over a six-month period. Each group lost an average of about 6kg and also saw improvements in disease markers such as blood pressure and inflammation. Insulin levels fell and insulin functioning rose in both groups too, but it did so more in the intermittent fasters.

Another potential benefit of intermittent fasting is that, compared with daily food restriction, it appears to help to preserve muscle mass during weight loss. Other work has found that alternate-day fasting (normal eating alternating with a calorie intake of a few hundred calories a day) reduced markers of inflammation and “oxidative stress” — processes that are believed to contribute to chronic disease and ageing, including ageing of the brain.

How to fast safely Alternate-day fasting is but one form of intermittent fasting. Other forms include contracting the window available for eating each day to 4-8 hours. For many, these approaches are impractical and simply too arduous. The good news is that less extreme and more realistic versions of intermittent fasting can reap significant dividends.

One approach could be to extend the period of low insulin typically seen at night. An early dinner or delayed breakfast will do this. As the body becomes more accustomed to lower insulin levels, its ability to mobilise fat will be enhanced. This fat provides fuel for the body and is a potential source of sustenance during extended periods without food. Once the body is more adept at burning fat as its primary fuel, it is less reliant on food for energy and to keep hunger at bay. I’ve seen many individuals who after several weeks of low-carb eating and some experimentation with intermittent fasting are amazed at the length of time they can go without getting unduly hungry or experiencing a loss of energy, or drop in mental functioning.

The next step after extending the time between dinner and breakfast might be to drop some breakfasts or dinners altogether. My advice would be to drop the one you feel is going to be easiest to do without. If you’re generally hungry in the morning and find your appetite tails off at the end of the day, then dinner is perhaps the best to forgo. If you usually have little appetite in the morning, then missing breakfast is likely to work better for you.

There is no reason to be rigid with intermittent fasting either. If you tend to skip breakfast with ease but find yourself uncharacteristically hungry one morning, then you may benefit from eating something that day.

People who work up to alternate-day fasting would do well to focus their diet on nutrient-dense foods that are effective at sating the appetite. Protein and fat tend to pack most punch here. On non-fasting days, I would advise some full-fat natural yoghurt with berries and nuts or eggs for breakfast, followed by meat, fish (preferably oily) or an omelette and vegetables or salad for the main meals. Nuts make a good snack food.

It is usual for individuals on a fasting day to eat a few hundred calories’ worth of food. This may constitute a single meal (usually lunch) of meat, fish, omelette and vegetables, perhaps followed by a yoghurt, berry and nut mix for dessert (if desired). Some people prefer to spread their food throughout the day and this is fine too. Enough water should be drunk each day to ensure that urine colour remains pale yellow throughout the day.

Intermittent fasting does not need to be extreme and it is important to remember that it is not an endurance exercise — the aim is not to see how hungry one can get before caving in.

This tactic usually backfires, because it will often drive people to eat unhealthy foods. I advise gradual change, effectively training the body over time in a way that is practical, flexible and does not induce undue hunger. Intermittent fasting need not be a permanent feature in your diet either. Many will use it effectively for two or more weeks to shed some unwanted fat or break through a weight-loss plateau.

Warning: it’s not for everyone Avoid intermittent fasting if you have a history of eating disorders and diabetes. It is not for you if you are stressed or have chronic fatigue. Stress can weaken the adrenal glands and intermittent fasting can weaken these glands further. If you are trying to optimise your sporting performance, you should approach intermittent fasting with care. Those in any doubt about the appropriateness of intermittent fasting should seek medical advice before making any changes.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/healt...icle3329707.ece
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 07:29

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
I’ve seen many individuals who after several weeks of low-carb eating and some experimentation with intermittent fasting are amazed at the length of time they can go without getting unduly hungry or experiencing a loss of energy, or drop in mental functioning.

Stop the press, Dr Briffa. Low carb on its own affects hunger. We are less hungry when we cut carbs. Whatever benefit we imagine from intermittent fasting could be attributed entirely to low carb. In fact, we could say low carb allows us to endure the hunger that will come from fasting. I think I'm not alone when I say that I've experienced occasional fasting before when I ate lots of carbs, and the hunger was unbearable. So basically, intermittent fasting is only doable when we already eat low carb. And since low carb brings about pretty much all the supposed benefits of intermittent fasting, IF seems rather pointless to me for that purpose. Though IF is easier to do on low carb, so why not.

Interestingly, I often found myself forgetting to eat. We could say low carb naturally leads us to IF without any extra effort on our part.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 07:54
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I usually only eat once a day but even so, there have been times I've come home and gotten caught up in a game or TV show and forgotten to eat. I could never forget about food as a vegan or on SAD.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 08:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

While LC I naturally eat in a 5 hour eating window - I'm not hungry for hours after I get up, and sometimes could just eat one meal.

However, while eating carbs I feel ravenously hungry as soon as I get up and then regularly throughout the day.

Lee
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 08:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
In one study published last year, overweight and obese women undertook daily (1,500 calories a day), or intermittent caloric restriction (650 calories on two days each week) over a six-month period. Each group lost an average of about 6kg and also saw improvements in disease markers such as blood pressure and inflammation. Insulin levels fell and insulin functioning rose in both groups too, but it did so more in the intermittent fasters.

I'm always wary of making claims based on one or two studies, especially without being able to see the study design or methodology. Was there a control group for this study? How many participants were there? Were the results statistically significant, and if so, by what method(s) was this determined? Were the insulin-based differences between the two study groups statistically significant, and if so, by what method(s) was this determined?

To Martin's point, what kind of diet(s) were the study groups eating? If it wasn't low-carb, I'd want to see if you get comparable results in insulin improvement if you repeated the study with a low-carb diet. There are just too many details omitted to justify the reader's faith in IF based on the evidence presented.

I've been practicing a form of IF where I restrict my eating to an 8-hour window. I find that I am hungrier than before by the time of my first meal, and that I'm ready for my next meal sooner than before. As a result, I'm not eating any less, and it's more of an effort to keep my calorie, and particularly my protein intake reasonable (Sorry, Martin, it matters at my stage of weight loss).

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sat, Feb-25-12 at 08:24.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 301/275/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I am ALWAYS hungry first thing in the morning, LC or not.

But I have been finding that I occassionally skip 1-2 meals now that I'm in the swing of things. And I've gone back on the last month of My P.L.A.N. and found that I am eating approximately half the calories that my cousin eats in a normal day (she has decided to do a calorie-focused diet plan, so I helped her track her food data on another website). Yet I'm not plagued with hunger pains or unanswered cravings. Love it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat/Lower Protein
Stats: 142/132/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 83%

This is just about perfect with Lent and all. I find now that I'm VLC I can have coffee with lots of HWC for "breakfast", and not eat again until between 3 and 5 which is my main meal window. I do make sure that I eat enough then to maintain a decent load of fat and protein, maybe berries and more cream for a treat after, and keep calories up. I like that sort of empty feeling by the time I go to bed. Always hated to go to bed after a biggish regular dinner....

As for hunger - I do get "hungry" but not that terrible low sugar hunger and weakness, and "I'm going to kill my DH" kind of gnawing hunger I used go experience when eating SAD. A nice cup of Lemon Zinger and I'm good to go.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 12:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

When I am home on the weekends, I tend to do a 5 hour window quite easily; but at work, the timing is off. But I routinely skip breakfast and love it!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 18:43

Plan: Primal, Protein Power
Stats: 170/140/135 Male 70
BF:25% 10% 7%
Progress: 86%

I am now following a combination of the Lean Gains and the Eat Stop Eat approaches: Six days a week I only eat from noon until 8 pm. On Sundays I don't eat at all. I didn't eat much for breakfast anyway (I normally ate either a low carb cookie or a scoop of ice cream) so skipping breakfast wasn't very hard. By Monday I am so hungry that I eat a single meal with almost all the calories I should consume for the day (about 1300). I might then eat some chocolate, ice cream, or peanut butter on Monday night.

It has worked well so far. I have been able to lose some 5 additional pounds and I lost some body fat on my abdomen. I still cannot see my abs, though, although I am close.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 08:19

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

I did the one meal a day thing for about a year and a half. At first I lost about 10 pounds, and thought that was great. Eventually the weight came back even tho I was still eating just one meal a day. The only advantage was that I could get away with having an actual dessert once in awhile - the next day's fasting would normally wipe out the negative effects of that dessert.

I eventually went back to two meals a day, usually a breakfast/lunch in the middle of the day, and dinner at the normal time. I still skip breakfast, mainly because I'm just not hungry in the mornings.

So, speaking strictly about weight loss, IF has no advantage, for me anyway. If there are other advantages, especially the extended life thing, that's fine by me!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 09:42

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I find it rather amusing that a technique used for THOUSANDS of years, and by the medical establishment for many many years before DRUGS is now the "new" way to do anything... :P
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 12:22

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I did Fast Five, which is the five hour eating window, for a couple of months and lost ten pounds, but finally quit because even though doing strict low carb eating the same time, was so sick and tired of being hungry all the time except right after eating. And as soon as stopping I can feel my body is fighting me very hard trying to compensate and put the weight back on. Yes, the hunger was more manageable compared to skipping meals when you normally eat high carb but still quite unpleasant having to face on a daily basis. And the Eat Stop Eat program looked unappealing for my particular situation because already doing a monthly religious fast of 24 hours I know from experience I get pretty hungry skipping food an entire day. Although again eating low carb the rest of the month makes fasting lots easier. I hadn't heard of IF using the 8 hour window. Skipping breakfast was the hardest thing for me on Fast Five, so maybe with some breakfast and 8 hour window this might be a good option for me to give IF another try.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 14:24

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I did IF on a 20/4 cycle (eating between 6 and 10pm) for about 6 months and am considering going to back to it in the next few weeks. I felt a bit nauseous for about a week, but then it became really quite easy. The best bit was how sharp I was during the day. No 3-5pm slump, it was bliss.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 16:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

I do the Eat Stop Eat 24 hour IF once or twice a week (12 fast days in the last 8 weeks). IF works very well with my low carb diet and has other numerous benefits besides weight control, but the one I'm after is an increase in growth hormone.

I feel both physically and mentally stronger after a fast and plan to continue with my IFs as long as I'm on low carb. For me there was a transition period during my first couple of fasts where I got pretty hungry after 14 to 16 hours but those are a fading memory now and I have no trouble going the entire 24 hours without eating.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 17:23

Plan: Heller CAD
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topacoma
This is just about perfect with Lent and all. I find now that I'm VLC I can have coffee with lots of HWC for "breakfast", and not eat again until between 3 and 5 which is my main meal window. I do make sure that I eat enough then to maintain a decent load of fat and protein, maybe berries and more cream for a treat after, and keep calories up. I like that sort of empty feeling by the time I go to bed. Always hated to go to bed after a biggish regular dinner....

As for hunger - I do get "hungry" but not that terrible low sugar hunger and weakness, and "I'm going to kill my DH" kind of gnawing hunger I used go experience when eating SAD. A nice cup of Lemon Zinger and I'm good to go.

Love this! I am so glad I read these posts!!!! P.S. I don't know what VLC or HWC stands for but I love my coffee in the morning with cream!!

Last edited by HappynThin : Sun, Feb-26-12 at 17:25. Reason: Add some info and question