Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 17:04

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Brinethery, just a tip (when you DO have to eat out.. I also hate it nowadays), you can order Chinese food with the sauce on the side and just not use it. I did this a few years ago and lost pretty successfully when I was with someone who loved take out and delivery. Word of caution: whatever kind of meat Chinese places use, it does NOT look like any kind of meat I have ever seen without the sauce on it.. It's just.. weird.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 17:33

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Word of caution: whatever kind of meat Chinese places use, it does NOT look like any kind of meat I have ever seen without the sauce on it.. It's just.. weird.

True that! It's all the more reason to get back to the basics
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I totally agree! You can have a gourmet meal for half of what you pay if you eat out. My bf and all our friends rarely go out to eat, we all just take turns having each other over for dinner. It's more fun and the food is so much better!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 05:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I love all these newbies tips, Werebear, and I am sure there are people who've been low-carbing for months who'd benefit from reading them. I agree that you have a fantastic, upbeat delivery and facility with words.

With regard to eating out, it's true that it *can be* cheaper to eat at home, but eating out, we're not only paying for ingredients. We're helping to pay for the building, the equipment, the chef, kitchen and serving staff wages, training for the staff, insurance, decor, utilities, accountant and many other costs. We get the food served in a pleasant environment by attentive waiting staff who are on hand when we need anything. You count up how much time it would take if you were having people round, to plan the menu, buy the ingredients, set and decorate the table, get the place looking spic and span, clean the loo, prepare the meal, meet your guests, serve drinks, wash up or stack and empty the dishwasher, tidy everything away etc. and as an hourly rate, $8 might not seem enough, and that isn't even counting the cost of food, and possible wastage. Here in the UK, we'd be paying the equivalent of about $8-12 for a seafood starter in the cheapest places, including corner take-aways in seedy locations, and more than that for a main course, which would only be seafood and noodles or rice, and precious few veggies, if any. If I consider what I'd be getting for that, it's still a bargain.

Eating out in Chinese restaurants, it is possible to get simple and delicious stir-fries which are in keeping with Atkins - a good Chinese restaurant cooks everything fresh anyway - you can just ask them for a simple stir-fry containing whatever you fancy. However, you have to watch for monosodium glutamate. The Chinese use it the way we use salt - as a seasoning - in home and restaurant cooking. The habit is so engrained, that it would be difficult to ensure that it wasn't still added.

Most of the meals which are cooked in my house are of sufficient quantity to provide several meals. Soups, pates, eggs, salads, fish and shellfish at lunch, when I prefer something lighter, and rich stews and curries etc. in the evening. I always enjoyed cooking, and I have never been one to buy in packaged meals full of sugar, gum and additives - I have always preferred the quality and flavour of home-made food and good restaurant/bar meals .. but Atkins encouraged me to buy better quality, and not to be scared of fat, butter, cream, olive oil and lots of luxury choices which have totally transformed my diet from good to sublime.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Mar-26-12 at 06:54.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 05:48
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
We must rebel against take-out!

You said it, sister! My hubby's love of pizza delivery is what prompted me to research pizza crusts!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 12:42

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Great post! Thanks!!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 09:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bumping because I have a way to let folks see all the tips:

See all my Newbie Tips!

Gotten so much great feedback on these. Thanks, everyone!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

thank you for the Newie Tips!!! I just went out and read them - very great information!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 16:23

Plan: Atkins 2002 edition
Stats: 229.6/209/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'm very fortunate in that I actually like planning my menus, putting my foods in fitday and cooking almost everything I eat. You never what hidden sugars and carbs are in the foods while dining out.

I see with men usually they will find one menu and just eat the same thing daily. I;m not being sexist I just noticed from my experience it seems more of a male trait. They figure why fix what it isn't broken.But by eating the same foods daily and being so restricted to convenience foods makes this woe extremely boring and you will eventually go off the diet because it didn't work for you.

Also eating the same foods daily you are missing out on some minerals and vitamins you would attain through eating a variety of food. We get to eat decadently: butter, lobster, steak, cheese, heavy cream, eggs, nuts. It;s a dream come true for a foodie like me. And if you skip that part Atkins is just another crash diet where you feel punished and deprived.

I have seen people grow in leaps and bounds from being completely new to cooking and then showing they can do it. Remember practice doesn't make
perfect. Practice makes progress.