Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 04:11

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Taking vitamin D may assist fat loss and reduce risk of chronic disease

Quote:
From Dr Briffa's blog
17 February, 2012

Taking vitamin D may assist fat loss and reduce risk of chronic disease

There is a ton of research which links higher levels of vitamin D (and/or increased sun exposure) with reduced risk of a range of conditions including diabetes, multiple sclerosis, several forms of cancer and heart disease. These studies are voluminous, and tend to be quite consistent, but they still can’t tell us for sure that vitamin D has genuine disease-protective properties.

We get more insight in this regard from clinical studies in which individuals are, say, treated with vitamin D and their outcomes compared to a group treated with placebo. Recently a study was published on-line which did just this, and it turned up at least some interesting results, I think [1].

The study in question involved treating overweight and obese Iranian women with 1000 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) for a period of 12 weeks. A number of different parameters were measured, including:
HDL-cholesterol levels – higher HDL levels are associated with reduced risk of heart disease
Apolipoprotein A-1 (ApoA-1) levels – ApoA1 is a component of HDL-cholesterol, and is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease
LDL-cholesterol:Apoliprotein B100 (ApoB-100) ratio – this ratio is a marker for the size and density of LDL-cholesterol particles. Lower ratios correspond with larger, less dense LDL-cholesterol, which appear to be harmless in comparison to so-called ‘small, dense’ LDL-cholesterol
Fat mass

Compared to the group taking a placebo, those taking vitamin D saw:
Significant increase in HDL levels
Significant increase in ApoA-1 levels
Significant decrease in LDL-cholesterol: ApoB-100 ratio

All of which point to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease over time. In addition though, the vitamin D-treated group saw a reduction in their fat mass of 2.7 kg on average (compared to the placebo group’s average loss of less than ½ kg).

This study provides at least some evidence which supports the idea that vitamin D has a ‘causal’ link with cardiovascular disease and other chronic conditions.

My personal aim is to keep my vitamin D levels at around 50-60 ng/ml (125-160 nmol/l). I get as much summer sun-exposure as I possibly can (without burning), but also supplement with vitamin D3. One thing I’ve realised is that to optimise my vitamin D levels I’m needing to take much higher doses of vitamin D than the usually recommend daily intake of 400 IU. Typically, I require several thousand IUs per day to do this.

How do you know if you’ve got enough vitamin D on board? The only sure way to know is to test.

References:

1. Vafa M, et al. Vitamin D3 and the risk of CVD in overweight and obese women: a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Nutrition Published online: 09 February 2012
http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/02/17/...hronic-disease/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 10:51

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is one of those studies to keep in our files for the Doc's office.

Thanks
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 13:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's amazing how much we need it; and that 400 units a day was to stave off rickets. I take 10k a day; because there were many years when I'm sure I was short.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 13:30
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Though technically, I think you can take up to around 20K a day, I tried 10K a day and lost my sense of taste (sweet and salty) and started to have little appetite. And it happened kinda abruptly. It was researching "loss of taste" Googling that clued me in on which of my supplements was causing the problem because I had added a couple new ones about the time I lost taste. As soon as I dropped back to the 5K my doc had prescribed (to counter D depletion one of my other therapies can cause) my taste and appetite returned within a week. If you lose your salt/sugar taste sensitivity, Werebear, high doses of D may be suspect.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 13:50
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

I'm glad you can get your vit D by sunshine, I love the feel of the sun on my face.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 17:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
If you lose your salt/sugar taste sensitivity, Werebear, high doses of D may be suspect.

Thanks for the tip: actually, I tested fall before last, and it was 36. So I did 5K for a bit, but I've been a computer programmer... and now I live in the frozen north... and I bumped it up and felt really good after.

Just got my results back today: up to 92! Yow! So that really worked, and I'm gonna back off to 5k a day and test again in the fall, for a nice 2 year look at the situation.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
I'm glad you can get your vit D by sunshine, I love the feel of the sun on my face.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'm (mumble mumble) past forty, and so I don't make it like I used to. Plus: FROZEN NORTH.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 08:07
Patience Personified

Congratulations on just having 10# to go. I have about 20 myself. I'm glad you're monitoring the D3 closely with your doc.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 08:48

BF:

Quote:
Congratulations on just having 10# to go. I have about 20 myself. I'm glad you're monitoring the D3 closely with your doc.

Thanks! These last ten are taking longer than the first fifty!

Your experience illustrates why I started, and continue, the simple blood tests for levels. It was Dr. Davis, of Wheatbelly fame, who really lit a fire under me about D3 supplementation, and he believes in periodic checking; apparently we need to "fill the tank" if we are deficient, but once we do, our true maintenance dose can be much lower.

And, of course, the best path for this kind of powerhouse hormone dosing is to make it (and the important supporter mineral, chelated magnesium) the only change we are doing for a while: so we can monitor our reactions and see what it does. In my case, it was a heady surge of wellbeing and the ability to pick up far less of the flu bug things that go around every winter.

But then, that must be because I was really deficient; and perhaps you were not as profoundly low?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 16:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
I tried 10K a day and lost my sense of taste (sweet and salty) and started to have little appetite.
Maybe that is the secret to part of the fat/weight loss on plenty of VitD.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 16:42

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

I'm all for getting your Vit D - I think it's a good thing, but I'm yet to hear anyone say (on any of the forums I go to) - Wow I started taking Vit D and the weight just fell off me. Maybe it works in combination with other things. LOL.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 17:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It didn't seem to affect my weight loss or lack thereof. :\
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 18:34
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
I'm all for getting your Vit D - I think it's a good thing, but I'm yet to hear anyone say (on any of the forums I go to) - Wow I started taking Vit D and the weight just fell off me. Maybe it works in combination with other things. LOL.

I haven't either but 6 lbs over 3 months wouldn't be very noticeable. It probably just boosts the metabolism enough to perform metabolic processes it hadn't been able to without the D.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 20:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
I get lots of D during the summer months, unfortunately the winter months lack enough sun and are too cold to get it naturally here in Northern Colorado, so I take about 7000IU per day then.

You are lucky to be able to get the D naturally where you live.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 21:44
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I get lots of D during the summer months, unfortunately the winter months lack enough sun and are too cold to get it naturally here in Northern Colorado, so I take about 7000IU per day then.

You are lucky to be able to get the D naturally where you live.

You know, I've been thinking about Buttoni. There's no vitamin D winter where I live and depending on where in Texas Peggy lives, there might not be one either, or a very short one. I reduced my intake from 10,000 iu to 5,000 because of that. I'm not in the sun a lot since my last job but if you're light complected and live closer to the equator, you'll probably get some amount of D just from going to the mailbox, to your car, to the store and fro, or just taking a stroll on your lunch break. It's also been warm this winter so people will be wearing short sleeves and shorts. Just a thought.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 10:20
Patience Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Maybe that is the secret to part of the fat/weight loss on plenty of VitD.

I doubt it. It hasn't helped me lose a single pound. Only 4-5# I've lost in the last year was right after a bout of food poisoning from some bad tuna.

We get a lot of winter sun in Central Texas, but I've heard what you get outdoors just isn't enough for any of us.