Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 14:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Scientists reveal mechanism behind high-fat, diabetes link

Quote:
In a new study, Sanford-Burnham scientists show that dietary fats interfere with an enzyme called GnT-4a glycosyltransferase, which is required for proper retention of glucose transporters in pancreatic beta cell membranes. Without functioning GnT-4a, clinical signs of diabetes emerged in mice fed a high-fat diet. The team is now considering methods to augment the enzyme's activity in humans, as a means to prevent or treat type 2 diabetes.

In the United States, more than 24 million children and adults—nearly eight percent of the population—have diabetes. In adults, type 2 diabetes accounts for about 90 to 95 percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes.

Newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics tend to have one thing in common: obesity. Exactly how diet and obesity trigger diabetes has long been the subject of intense scientific research. A new study led by Jamey D. Marth, Ph.D., director of the Center for Nanomedicine, a collaboration between the University of California, Santa Barbara and Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (Sanford-Burnham), has revealed a pathway that links high-fat diets to a sequence of molecular events responsible for the onset and severity of diabetes. These findings were in Nature Medicine.

High-fat diet and obesity cause beta cells to lose their ability to sense glucose in the blood. Left: Pancreatic beta cells from a mouse on a standard diet. Right: Pancreatic beta cells from a mouse fed a high-fat diet. (green=glucose transporters, red=insulin, blue=DNA)Credit: Marth laboratory, Sanford-Burnham/UCSB

In studies spanning mice and humans, Dr. Marth's team discovered a pathway to disease that is activated in pancreatic beta cells, and then leads to metabolic defects in other organs and tissues, including the liver, muscle and adipose (fat). Together, this adds up to diabetes.

"We were initially surprised to learn how much the pancreatic beta cell contributes to the onset and severity of diabetes," said Dr. Marth."The observation that beta cell malfunction significantly contributes to multiple disease signs, including insulin resistance, was unexpected. We noted, however, that studies from other laboratories published over the past few decades had alluded to this possibility."

In healthy people, pancreatic beta cells monitor the bloodstream for glucose using glucose transporters anchored in their cellular membranes. When blood glucose is high, such as after a meal, beta cells take in this additional glucose and respond by secreting insulin in a timed and measured response. In turn, insulin stimulates other cells in the body to take up glucose, a nutrient they need to produce energy.

In this newly discovered pathway, high levels of fat were found to interfere with two key transcription factors—proteins that switch genes on and off. These transcription factors, FOXA2 and HNF1A, are normally required for the production of an enzyme called GnT-4a glycosyltransferase that modifies proteins with a particular glycan (polysaccharide or sugar) structure. Proper retention of glucose transporters in the cell membrane depends on this modification, but when FOXA2 and HNF1A aren't working properly, GnT-4a's function is greatly diminished. So when the researchers fed otherwise normal mice a high-fat diet, they found that the animals' beta cells could not sense and respond to blood glucose. Preservation of GnT-4a function was able to block the onset of diabetes, even in obese animals. Diminished glucose sensing by beta cells was shown to be an important determinant of disease onset and severity.

"Now that we know more fully how states of over-nutrition can lead to type 2 diabetes, we can see more clearly how to intervene," Dr. Marth said. He and his colleagues are now considering various methods to augment beta cell GnT-4a enzyme activity in humans, as a means to prevent and possibly cure type 2 diabetes.

"The identification of the molecular players in this pathway to diabetes suggests new therapeutic targets and approaches towards developing an effective preventative or perhaps curative treatment," Dr. Marth continued. "This may be accomplished by beta cell gene therapy or by drugs that interfere with this pathway in order to maintain normal beta cell function."

This study was primarily funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Co-authors of this study include Kazuaki Ohtsubo at Sanford-Burnham and Mark Z. Chen and Jerrold M. Olefsky from the University of California, San Diego.

URL: http://www.sciencecodex.com/how_fat..._cause_diabetes
Study abstract: http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/marth.html

Extra character required by bug in forum software.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Feb-05-12 at 20:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:27

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

This article reminds me of the one about "high fat causes Brain damage" on another thread..As I posted there,the "High Fat" diet fed to these mice,makes people assume it was a Ketogenic diet,when in actuality the macros are 40% fat,44% carbs and 16% protien...Here is a good interpretation of the diet..
High Fat diet...
It also comes down to money..We all know that advising people to eat LC or Primal doesn't make you rich(well unless you're Mark Sisson),but DRUGS certainly will!!!
Quote:
"Now that we know more fully how states of over-nutrition can lead to type 2 diabetes, we can see more clearly how to intervene," Dr. Marth said. He and his colleagues are now considering various methods to augment beta cell GnT-4a enzyme activity in humans, as a means to prevent and possibly cure type 2 diabetes.

"The identification of the molecular players in this pathway to diabetes suggests new therapeutic targets and approaches towards developing an effective preventative or perhaps curative treatment," Dr. Marth continued. "This may be accomplished by beta cell gene therapy or by drugs that interfere with this pathway in order to maintain normal beta cell function."

#3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:30
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

44% carbs makes the diet high fat? Lol, well that is probably why I'm not a scientist. It sure looks like high carb to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/164/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

This study concerns me. I am in no way qualified to address the intricacies of the study, but there are three issues I would ask to see if others can address them:

1. Don't mice and rats process fats and carbohydrates differently from humans? It seems to me I have heard that mice and rats process carbohydrates much better and fats much worse than humans do.

2. I think we in the low carb community have to be open-minded when there is science that doesn't agree with our general philosophies. (Which is the case here). The low-fat dogma came about because scientists drew conclusions based on too little evidence, and we should not repeat that error. So, we need to be open about the results from this research.

3. The results of this research do not conform with the experiences we observe in humans. When humans eat a high-fat, low-carb diet, diabetes tends to improve.

Any comments?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:41
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amundson
This study concerns me. I am in no way qualified to address the intricacies of the study, but there are three issues I would ask to see if others can address them:

1. Don't mice and rats process fats and carbohydrates differently from humans? It seems to me I have heard that mice and rats process carbohydrates much better and fats much worse than humans do.

2. I think we in the low carb community have to be open-minded when there is science that doesn't agree with our general philosophies. (Which is the case here). The low-fat dogma came about because scientists drew conclusions based on too little evidence, and we should not repeat that error. So, we need to be open about the results from this research.

3. The results of this research do not conform with the experiences we observe in humans. When humans eat a high-fat, low-carb diet, diabetes tends to improve.

Any comments?

One question....do you think that 44% carbs is a high fat diet? I know if I was eating 44% carbs I might also have the problems that the mouse did.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 17:04

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Of the 40% fat in the diet only 1/3 comes from lard...The remaining 2/3 is a combo of Crisco,Soybean and Corn oil..The carbs are not from veggies and fruit,but rather sugar and corn starch,and even the Protein is not "Grass fed Beef",but rather Casien from dairy...Talk about the ultimate FAIL diet...Similar to living on "Cheese Doodles" as your only food...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 18:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Since reading Why We Get Fat, I always want to know the strain of mice used in studies. If it's a strain pre-disposed to get fat, e.g., Zucker rats, then the results have little to no applicability to humans regarding explanations of what makes humans fat.

I also like the comment that a blogger named "ItsTheWoo" made on another mouse study purporting to show damage by a high-fat diet:
Quote:
The big problem I have with mice/rats for obesity research mice do not ever naturally eat a ketogenic diet.

So, I’m suspicious of extrapolating a mouse's tolerance for ketogenic diet to humans, especially when other clinical evidence shows the opposite results in humans.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Feb-05-12 at 20:23.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 09:34

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amundson

Peter at Hyperlipid has many posts talking about how the mice they use in obesity studies are not like humans, and how the researchers' preconceptions lead to nutty interpretations. The obesity researchers do all kinds of things to breed them and set up for experiments. It is the icky kind of "cargo cult science" to then extrapolate to a diet in humans.

Like in the article above:

"High-fat diet and obesity cause beta cells to lose their ability to sense glucose in the blood. "

That is a preconception. In the low-carb hypothesis, it is the excess carbs that wear out beta cells. The diet being studied has excess carbs. But the researchers don't consider that the high carbs wore out the beta cells - because they think high fat diets and obesity did it. So the whole premise of the study starts out tilted.

Quote:
Except this case here is isn't science about low carb, as others have pointed out. It's high carb. So it tells us nothing about the effect on our hypothesis.

Quote:
The research is about a high-carb, high fat diet. So it doesn't apply to low carb diets.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 15:45
Registered Member

Stats: 285/164/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Seejay,

Thank you very much for the replies. I am perhaps somewhat lazy, but it gets difficult to look up references for every angle of every study that comes out. There seems to be a huge problem in the scientific community in terms of applying existing research (what we already know) to new research, especially if that research is outside of their ordinary domain of knowledge. There is so much research out there that it is pretty much impossible to integrate it. The scientists should have addressed these issues of mice not metabolizing fats like humans in their studies.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 16:46
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Since reading Why We Get Fat, I always want to know the strain of mice used in studies. If it's a strain pre-disposed to get fat, e.g., Zucker rats, then the results have little to no applicability to humans regarding explanations of what makes humans fat.

I also like the comment that a blogger named "ItsTheWoo" made on another mouse study purporting to show damage by a high-fat diet:

So, I’m suspicious of extrapolating a mouse's tolerance for ketogenic diet to humans, especially when other clinical evidence shows the opposite results in humans.

ItstheWoo used to post here on the forum. You can find her posts sprinkled throughout some of the older threads.

To my recollection, the natural diet of a mouse is fairly low-fat diet--they were not designed to eat the same diet as humans. So trying to test dietary hypotheses and then extrapolating the results to humans like this seems difficult at best and irresponsible at worst.

--Melissa
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 17:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Rats have a very similar ominverous kind of diet. They're a pretty good model when studying diet, but not mice.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 18:08

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Rats have a very similar ominverous kind of diet. They're a pretty good model when studying diet, but not mice.
I read in the book "Rats" that when the author just hung around one New York alley for a year, watching the rats, that the food they went to first, was the same as human junk food. Chinese, burgers and fries, fried chicken with sweet sauces. I thought it was kind of pet-like of them.

#13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 21:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The High-Fat Diet and Glycan-Dependent Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes, which is increasing to epidemic proportions worldwide, has been associated with obesity and a high-fat diet. The initial disease process is diagnosed by high blood glucose levels, and pancreatic beta cell failure occurs with deregulation of normal insulin secretion mechanisms, followed by the development of insulin resistance. We have recently discovered a dietary and genetic mechanism of pancreatic beta cell failure that results in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. The mechanism involves insufficient expression of the Mgat4a-encoded GnT-4a glycosyltransferase. Remarkably, reduced Mgat4a expression occurs among mice fed a high-fat diet, as well as type 2 diabetic human islet cells. Reduced levels of GnT-4a activity lead to loss of pancreatic beta cell surface glucose transporter expression, by what appears to be the disruption of a lectin-based cell surface retention mechanism (Figure 5). The resulting hyperglycemia and insulinopenia appear to drive early disease progression, leading to insulin resistance. We are investigating whether this pathogenic mechanism also exists in the human population and whether constitutively high levels of Mgat4a gene expression provide resistance to the diabetogenic effects of the high-fat diet.

Insulinopenia--leading to insulin resistance? Do they mean insulinopenia literally here, as in lower than usual insulin levels, or relative, as in not enough insulin to cover the excess glucose in the blood? I thought beta cell failure came later on.

Quote:
The initial disease process is diagnosed by high blood glucose levels, and pancreatic beta cell failure occurs with deregulation of normal insulin secretion mechanisms, followed by the development of insulin resistance.

In humans, isn't this deregulation of normal insulin usually coming in the form of hyperinsulinism?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 21:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
pancreatic beta cell surface glucose transporter expression

To the naive, a decrease in this might be seen as a low demand by the pancreas for glucose...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 22:42

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
ItstheWoo used to post here on the forum. You can find her posts sprinkled throughout some of the older threads.

Yeah, she did. Interesting posts, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
To my recollection, the natural diet of a mouse is fairly low-fat diet--they were not designed to eat the same diet as humans.
--Melissa

Funny, but my son and I were watching "Ratatouille" tonight.

Remy: "WHAT are you eating?"
Emil: "Ummmm, I don't really know!" (he was eating garbage bags)

Nuff said! According to GCBC, one can literally starve Zucker rats to death and they will still be fat.