Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 09:17

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
Yep! I have been thriving off of a high-fat diet for the past year with barely any vegetables. I also drink at least a cup of coffee each morning with heavy cream. I know, I know I should eat more veggies, but my stomach doesn't agree with them a lot of the time.

My upper limit for carbs is 50 grams, but that's when I'm feeling VERY generous like around the holidays or something. My normal level is around 30 grams. Other than that, I stick with real food and avoid shakes, bars, or any other weird foods out there

You can have my body! Just stick with it for a year and you'll be soo surprised.

What kind of meat are you eating? I enjoy bacon but then worry that it is too much fat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/198/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 28%

Can someone give me a few examples of how to increase the fat? I'm trying to lower my protein and increase my fat, but short of eating a stick of butter , I could use some ideas on how to better incorporate fat. I have this thing of coconut oil, and I don't know what to do with it. I've taken on more almonds and avocados, but there are some added carbs there.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 09:33

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think macadamia nuts are a pretty high fat nut.

I have only just started to boost fat. I think I remember that fact from my low fat diet days.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 10:20

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
What kind of meat are you eating? I enjoy bacon but then worry that it is too much fat

Blasphemy! There is no such thing as too much fat when it comes to meat. Cooked bacon is about 70% fat calories. I eat bacon, but not every day because it tends to disagree with my stomach when I overdo it.

I think any kind of meat is good as long as you're not seeking out the leanest cuts like pork tenderloin or chicken breast. Also, any added fat is a bonus like putting béarnaise sauce over salmon.

Lastly, I don't think you should have to perfectly calculate your fat intake. Just be very opportunistic about it. If it's there, dig in.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 10:35

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

IMO it could simply be a matter of what meat you are eating.

turkey breast meat, no skin, typically from the deli counter: 70% calories from protein, 16% carb, 14% fat.
turkey breast meat, no skin, as you might prepare it yourself in the oven: 95% protein, 5% fat.

chicken thigh, with skin: 58% fat, 42% protein.

salmon, broiled: 58% protein, 41% fat, 1% carb.

ground beef, 95% lean: 65% protein, 35% fat.
ground beef, 85% lean: 63% fat, 37% protein.
ground beef, 70% lean: 82% fat, 18% protein.

Fry up some higher fat beef patties and you have it made.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 11:13

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Great advice! I'll quit worrying about fat - old school thinking that's hard to stop
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 11:23
Registered Member

Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Great advice! I'll quit worrying about fat - old school thinking that's hard to stop

Yup! Don't worry- it will become second nature to you as you realize that you're fuller and your body leaner on a high fat diet.

One of the things that is just the most interesting thing about a high fat low carb diet is how it affects your waistline. As a teenager, I could easily get down in weight, but I specfically remember being about 160 as a kid and being flabbier than I am now. (Even at 135 I had a pudge, even though I was smaller.) Even at higher weights, you'll find you "carry" that weight better if you are eating a high fat diet.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 11:54

Quote:

If you try to do low carb and low fat simultaneously, you will feel like crap. And you'll probably lose more muscle than fat.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 21:18

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Good post! I absolutely agree that fat intake has to be your highest number. I had a hard time getting my mind around this fact too in the beginning but once I started tracking my food I quickly noticed that if my protein was high and my fat intake too low, I gained.

I think this is the hardest concept for LC newbies to wrap their head around because it is completely opposite of what is preached daily by the nutritional and medical experts.

If you're eating LC but still shying away from fats, track your food and try a week of lower fat and higher protein and then try a week with high fat and lower protein and see if there is a change at the scale.

Seeing is believing!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 05:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
I think this is the hardest concept for LC newbies to wrap their head around because it is completely opposite of what is preached daily by the nutritional and medical experts.

Wanted to emphasize this, because I think Patina is absolutely right. When we live in, and diet by, OMG THE DEADLYFATZ! it can be a real struggle to go low carb, properly.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 05:36

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

For the last ten years I would not consider eating anything that was 99% fat free- purely because of the sugar and carb content. In those years I worried less about fat, nowadays I am starting to think about fat more- as in how can I get more fat in each meal.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 07:05

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
For the last ten years I would not consider eating anything that was 99% fat free- purely because of the sugar and carb content.

yarralea, you bring up a really good point! If the food manufacturer's are removing all the fat out of their products so they can sell them as "healthy" foods then that fat has to be replaced with something to make the food more palatable. So no fat, more often than not, means more sugar and sodium to up the flavor so people will buy it. And just think of the processing the food has to go through to remove the fat and people don't realize that the fat removal processes chemically change the original product and usually the end product is actually unhealthy.

Low fat milk is a really good example of this.

I never actually thought of that before that no fat means higher carb and sodium but it makes total sense!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 10:09

Stats: 258.3/236.9/195 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up It works!

Hi all!

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. I joined this forum because I was following a very strict Atkins but started to slow, then gain. I did find a couple of things that I was doing wrong and tweaked then yet continued to inch up.

I saw this thread and realized that over the years I have developed habit around low fat that I wasn't even conscious of. Like I only eat chicken breast, I don't like skin, I only buy lean meats etc. I checked my food diary for the first Atkins week and noticed, because I was hungrier, I naturally ate a lot more meat and bacon!

So I experimented, I LOVE butter so I had it all I wanted. I was more generous with olive oil and when I had my greens I poured it on. I found myself FULL and wishing I didn't have to eat again! lol

But this morning I have my first weight lose since Jan 13!

Now here is my question, as far as burger goes, if you buy the hamburger with greater fat content doesn't it just cook off?

Thanks again! I'm going to keep upping my fat as I find ways and see how that works.

Elle
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2012
Hi all!

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. I joined this forum because I was following a very strict Atkins but started to slow, then gain. I did find a couple of things that I was doing wrong and tweaked then yet continued to inch up.

I saw this thread and realized that over the years I have developed habit around low fat that I wasn't even conscious of. Like I only eat chicken breast, I don't like skin, I only buy lean meats etc. I checked my food diary for the first Atkins week and noticed, because I was hungrier, I naturally ate a lot more meat and bacon!

So I experimented, I LOVE butter so I had it all I wanted. I was more generous with olive oil and when I had my greens I poured it on. I found myself FULL and wishing I didn't have to eat again! lol

But this morning I have my first weight lose since Jan 13!

Now here is my question, as far as burger goes, if you buy the hamburger with greater fat content doesn't it just cook off?

Thanks again! I'm going to keep upping my fat as I find ways and see how that works.

Elle

Depends on the cooking method how much fat will be lost on cooking, and also on the doneness.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 17:34

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Oh. Um. I put a couple pats of butter in the pan before my burger, and then the cheese. That way I don't distress over losing the fat in the burger. Then I chop bacon, fry it, throw in chopped onion (not too much if you are in the induction part) and then put in about 1/2 cup of chicken stock and then frozen green beans (or canned, drained, whatever). That way you are going to eat the fat from the bacon with the beans too.

Ha ha...DS just said, looking over my shoulder 'That's disgusting...how come you don't GAIN weight with that???'.

LOL Not like it's a secret my dear young man..quick, run to the bookshelf and read everything on the top shelf (Atkins '72, Atkins New, Taubes GCBC, Taubes' WWGF....etc.).