Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 12:51

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Welcome, Caitlin! I'm curious: as a maternity nurse, were you at some point taught that low carbing would be bad for baby, or was just sort of an assumption based on the general recommendations for a "healthy" diet? There was a time when I believed we "needed" whole grains and fruits and whatnot, but my body showed me otherwise!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7
Welcome, Caitlin! I'm curious: as a maternity nurse, were you at some point taught that low carbing would be bad for baby, or was just sort of an assumption based on the general recommendations for a "healthy" diet? There was a time when I believed we "needed" whole grains and fruits and whatnot, but my body showed me otherwise!

Absolutely, I consider low carbing to be a healthy diet. I was taught low carbing was bad in pregnancy.

Although, I still believe fruit is important to a pregnant lady's diet. I am CERTAIN that raspberries are much preferable to lemonade and ritz crackers.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 20:59

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

welcome Caitlin, glad you've found something that helps the nausea.

i'm back on track again today, and feeling so much better. cheerful and happy even LOL. it's amazing how some junk carbs can really throw a wrench in the works. halloween weekend was an epic fail for me but it was a good reminder of why i'm so strict with how i'm eating. i really paid the consequences for my actions!

eriksgirl, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. i hope that you have some backup to help you out when your husband's on the road. i'm just homeschooling one, but i know how much work it can be.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 05:23

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Welcome, Caitlin!!! I'm glad you have found what works for you and are starting to feel better!! Congrats on your pregnancy. You are worlds ahead of me on working out. 4-5 hours a week is awesome!! You go, girl
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 06:23

Stats: 266/222/166 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hey guys! I've been good except for tortilla chips at the Mexican restaurant and I walked around the park yesterday. I just feel like I eat so much! I made crockpot greenbeebs yesterday and ate them all throughout the day. Ha ha

Welcome Cait! I'm a Katie from Ohio too! I work at a hospital in cincy but I'm an xray tech.
I wasn't taught nutrition too but I've my fair share of opinions that all that fat is clogging my arteries lol. I'm sure they will crucify me for being lc and prego but at least I wont be sick like my one friend at work. She was sick the while first trimester and is convinced I'm going to have a heart attack so i can't wait to show her haha.

I'm going to my first appt on the 30th. What do you guys do on the first appt?

Weird too...I found out I was pregnant on Halloween and am due Friday the 13th. Spooky!
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 06:26

BF:

Sorry if my typing is off. I'm on my phone. Autocorrect fail!
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 06:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_dancr
I'm going to my first appt on the 30th. What do you guys do on the first appt?

Weird too...I found out I was pregnant on Halloween and am due Friday the 13th. Spooky!

Umm, my husband would LOVE if I had your stats (Halloween and Firday the 13th) - we are BIG Halloween fans, scary movie fans, zombie fans, etc. How fun!

At my first appointment, I was annoyed because it was a huge waste of my time. All I did was talk to a nurse practitioner. No exam, nothin'. They did send me to a lab to give some blood and pee in a cup, but that was it - nothing at the actual doc's office.

That said, I have since switched to a different OB since I had multiple concerns with that first practice, so it depends on who you're going to and how far along you are as to what they will do.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
welcome Caitlin, glad you've found something that helps the nausea. .

Thank you

Quote:
Welcome Cait! I'm a Katie from Ohio too! I work at a hospital in cincy but I'm an xray tech.

Fabulous to "meet" you. What shift do you work? I found when I work nights, I get SO sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
Welcome, Caitlin!!! I'm glad you have found what works for you and are starting to feel better!! Congrats on your pregnancy. You are worlds ahead of me on working out. 4-5 hours a week is awesome!! You go, girl

Thank you so much, I work out with a stroller fitness group at the mall. It is a lot harder than I ever imagined, but I love the social support.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 13:11

BF:

I'm working 12:30 to 9. I get so tired at about 7 but I get to sleep in a lot!

So I found this on the web when I looked up LC and Morning Sickness....O NO THEY DIDN'T!!!
Quote:
http://www.essentialnutrition.org/lcprg1.php

Research on high protein, low carbohydrate diets and pregnancy

Some animal and human research has shown that high protein, low carbohydrate diets may have adverse effects on the fetus, as well as the offspring later in life. In rat studies, maternal dietary carbohydrate is essential for fetal growth and survival of the newborns.8 Even with a diet that is adequate in calories and protein, restriction of dietary glucose lowers tissue glycogen reserves (i.e., the stored form of glucose) and interferes with the normal development of the glucose-regulating system – the system that uses insulin and other hormones to control blood glucose levels and insures that glucose is delivered to all the cells that need it after birth.8

In research presented at a 2004 conference of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, a moderately high protein diet (25% of calories) adversely affected genetic imprinting in mice embryos, embryo implantation in the womb and subsequent fetal development. This may be due to the high ammonium levels in the reproductive tract that result from eating a high protein diet. Whether these findings in animals apply to humans is unknown, however the researchers advised women trying to conceive to limit their protein intake to less than 20% of total calories.9

In a British study on humans, pregnant mothers who ate a high meat/fish diet in late pregnancy were shown to have increased cortisol levels.10 This is a concern since in animals, high fetal exposure to cortisol may lead to elevated blood pressure in the offspring later in life. The researchers suggested that high maternal cortisol levels may expose the fetus to excess cortisol and program lifelong excess secretion of cortisol in the offspring. Additional research, with more sensitive measures of food intake, is needed.

In gestational diabetes—when a pregnant woman gets diabetes, but didn’t have it before pregnancy—the top priorities are to promote optimal growth and development of the fetus, normalize blood glucose levels and prevent excessive maternal weight gain.11 In a study investigating the relationship between maternal diet composition and newborn birth weight, a higher carbohydrate diet was linked to a lower occurrence of large birth weight babies.11 Having a large birth weight baby can make delivery more difficult. There were no large birth weight infants among women who consumed over 210 grams of carbohydrates a day. It was suggested that to improve insulin sensitivity in women with gestational diabetes, a high carbohydrate diet, that is also low in fat to limit daily calories, is recommended.

In addition, spreading out carbohydrates throughout the day and using carbohydrates with a low glycemic index—such as most vegetables, fruits, legumes, dairy products and whole grains—can help limit the rise in blood sugar after eating a meal.11 Here again, the idea is not to restrict carbohydrates in the diet, but to choose them wisely.

Why do people still believe that people on LC diets only eat lots and lots of meat!!!!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 15:24

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

you might have better luck with the 'benefits of ketosis in pregnancy' thread. that article looks like more of the same kind of anti-lc garbage that the internet is full of.

in my experience, lowcarbing has cured my morning sickness~i've only felt nauseous after carbing out.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 19:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
you might have better luck with the 'benefits of ketosis in pregnancy' thread. that article looks like more of the same kind of anti-lc garbage that the internet is full of.

in my experience, lowcarbing has cured my morning sickness~i've only felt nauseous after carbing out.

Me too! I stopped eating carbs to make me feel better, and it worked. The nausea was horrid... and I haven't puked at all since I quit.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 19:26

BF:

Quote:
a higher carbohydrate diet was linked to a lower occurrence of large birth weight babies.

No way, I can't believe that.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-11, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

First, I can't believe that study suggestig that gestational diabetics consume more than 210 grams of carbohydrates. That's ridiculous and I can't imagine for those without access to insulin how they are managing their blood sugars.

In other news, just checking in to say I'm still following the thread, still here and pregnant.

My diet is steadily improving, I think. While I still can't stomach chicken breast and ground meat for the most part, I am eating a lot of eggs and even craving beef steaks and roasts. Today I had a biscotti (bad) but was happy with everything else I ate - beef roast, green beans, crustless quiche lorraine (eggs/cream/onions/cheese/bacon), raw pepper, about 8 baby dill pickles, 2 apples, a glass of milk, a larabar, and a few cashews. Not exactly low carb, but real food and grain free (except for the biscotti), and I'm trying to avoid ketosis. Plus I'm taking vit D, magnesium, and some cod liver oil along with my multi.

So far at 15 1/2 weeks I've neither gained nor lost weight, which I'm fairly happy with, although my belly looks substantially rounder/larger/firmer to me. Have done a ton of doctor appointmennts. So many in fact, that just attending them all feels like a minor triumph. And I got my hba1c retested on Oct 27 and it was 5.8, which I'm quite happy with.

Sending good wishes to all of you...
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 14:34

BF:

Yikes- been doing so well, between 55-80 carbs per day. Was at a funeral yesterday and then the celebration of life after. Ate my purse stash of almonds and an apple for lunch, but was out in the country after the funeral and was starving... had 2.5 slices of pizza. Instant heartburn and nausea, I felt like I had a hangover this AM. Begged my husband to stop at wendys for a salad. And he was too afraid wed get lost without following our friends.... oh well, next time I will just scrape the cheese off if I have no alternative!
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 06:04

BF:

Had my anatomy scan on Friday - we are having a boy! And they found absolutely nothing of interest to discuss with us - everything looks 110% normal and healthy He weighed in at 13 ounces on Friday morning. I have a little cousin who was born prematurely, and she only weighed 12.5 ounces at birth! So, all sounds good - now we just have to decide on a boy's name (we'd only had a girl's name picked out)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorg
...and I'm trying to avoid ketosis.

Just curious - why are you trying to avoid ketosis?