Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 07:45

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Spanish Ketogenic Diet Reverses Metabolic Syndrome

Quote:
The very-low-carb Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet cures metabolic syndrome, according to investigators at the University of Córdoba in Spain.

The metabolic syndrome is a collection of clinical factors that are linked to high risk of developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Individual components of the syndrome include elevated blood sugar, high trigylcerides, low HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, and abdominal fat accumulation.

Spanish researchers put 26 people with metabolic syndrome on the Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet for twelve weeks and monitored what happened. At baseline, average age was 41 and average body mass index was 36.6. Investigators didn’t say how many diabetics or prediabetics were included. No participant was taking medication.

http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.co...bolic-syndrome/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 15:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Spanish researchers put 26 people with metabolic syndrome on the Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet for twelve weeks and monitored what happened. At baseline, average age was 41 and average body mass index was 36.6.
At the end of the investigation, had the average age decreased?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 17:46

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Maybe it reverses aging too!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 21:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Very-low-carb diets are especially good at lowering trigylcerides, lowering blood sugar, and raising HDL cholesterol. Overweight dieters tend to lose more weight, and more quickly, than on other diets. Very-low-carb diets, therefore, should be particularly effective as an approach to metabolic syndrome. It’s quite possible that other very-low-carb diets, such as Atkins Induction Phase, would have performed just as well as the Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet. In fact, most effective reduced-calorie weight-loss diets would tend to improve metabolic syndrome, even curing some cases, regardless of carb content.

That came out of left field. The entire article is focused on an ad libitum low carb ketogenic diet. I just don't see how this comment made it there without first having established some rationale for it. Nor does the author, Steve Parker MD offer any reference to support that claim. See here:
Quote:
What’s the Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet?

Calories are unlimited, but dieters are encouraged to keep carbohydrate consumption under 30 grams day.

Quote:
Will the dieters of this study still be cured of metabolic syndrome a year later? Unlikely. Most will go back to their old ways of eating, regaining the weight, and moving their blood sugars, triglycerides, and HDL cholesterols in the wrong direction.

Of course, if the diet can't be endured for more than the duration of the experiment, the subjects will just go back to their previous diets, and promptly return to their previous weight. And if by cure he means that metabolic syndrome is like the flu where it makes you sick for a while, then the immune system fights and kills the infectious agent thereby returning to good health permanently, he's on the wrong track. Metabolic syndrome is merely a symptom of chronic carbohydrate poisoning. The only cure is to stop eating the poison. Just like the only cure for arsenic poisoning is to stop eating the arsenic.

If it's too hard to stick to this ketogenic Mediterranean diet, then maybe it's the wrong diet to stick to. Atkins works just as well, and is much easier to stick to, even in Spain.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 00:15

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Great points Martin...I don't understand the negativity at the end..If this study showed all these improvements in just 12 weeks why not encourage people to keep with it??I just don't get it sometimes,it's so frustrating...Judas sold out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver and everyday people sell out their health and longevity for Twinkies,Pasta and Bagels...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 05:27
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
Great points Martin...I don't understand the negativity at the end..If this study showed all these improvements in just 12 weeks why not encourage people to keep with it??I just don't get it sometimes,it's so frustrating...Judas sold out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver and everyday people sell out their health and longevity for Twinkies,Pasta and Bagels...

Yeah well, silver's not so good with cream cheese or pesto...

Lee
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 09:21

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

The negativity stems from the perception that low-carbing of any sort involves too many sacrifices. This colors everything non low carbers say, think or do. Just contemplating the idea of giving up carbs is too hard for some people. I think that's the fundamental disconnect between low-carbers and non-low-carbers. Until you actually try it, it seems a very difficult thing to do indeed.

People are addicted to carbs. Plain and simple. But what is so insidious about it is that they don't know they are. How would have people reacted back when smoking was considered normal, had you told them they had to give up their cigarette habit. Probably with horror. Giving up carbs is even worse, as with cigarettes no one imagined that they are necessary for health, and they must have known at some level that they were addictive. No so for carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 13:33

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
The negativity stems from the perception that low-carbing of any sort involves too many sacrifices. This colors everything non low carbers say, think or do. Just contemplating the idea of giving up carbs is too hard for some people. I think that's the fundamental disconnect between low-carbers and non-low-carbers. Until you actually try it, it seems a very difficult thing to do indeed.

People are addicted to carbs. Plain and simple. But what is so insidious about it is that they don't know they are. How would have people reacted back when smoking was considered normal, had you told them they had to give up their cigarette habit. Probably with horror. Giving up carbs is even worse, as with cigarettes no one imagined that they are necessary for health, and they must have known at some level that they were addictive. No so for carbs.

Ughhhh...So true Angeline...Your exactly right,its an addiction and everyone else is saying it's healthy...I'm going to go beat my forehead against a wall for a while now...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 21:27

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Yes, Angeline, that is so true. I know so many people who've commented that they just could never give up the bread.

I was watching a news/magazine type morning program today where they were talking about those "over the top" treats at popular restaurants. "This cheeseburger topped with bacon and a fried egg is like breakfast, lunch, and dinner!" because it has over 2000 calories and a ton of salt. Then they blather on about saturated fat. So what? There is not a single mention of the amount of carb. Nothing. Carbs don't matter, eat more of them.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 21:45

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
Yes, Angeline, that is so true. I know so many people who've commented that they just could never give up the bread.

I was watching a news/magazine type morning program today where they were talking about those "over the top" treats at popular restaurants. "This cheeseburger topped with bacon and a fried egg is like breakfast, lunch, and dinner!" because it has over 2000 calories and a ton of salt. Then they blather on about saturated fat. So what? There is not a single mention of the amount of carb. Nothing. Carbs don't matter, eat more of them.
Thanks for the menu suggestion. For lunch tomorrow, I'll have a burger patty topped with an egg and cheese and bacon with salt for a flavoring. I will add some mustard, maybe.