Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 07:09

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Weston Price & Primitive Wisdom

Nice article by Chris Masterjohn:

Quote:
Understanding Weston Price on Primitive Wisdom — Ancient Doesn’t Cut It

by Christopher Masterjohn

In Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, Price put great emphasis on the degeneration caused by the nutritional transition to modern industrial diets. It can be tempting for us to simplify this into the easily digestible message that tooth decay and other degenerative diseases are simply a result of the transition to modern life and diet, but if we do this, we wind up missing the overwhelming emphasis Price placed on what he called primitive wisdom.

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/c...-doesnt-cut-it/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 07:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Weston Price was a true visionary. His foundation is still doing a lot of good today. Its nice to see him get recognized.

Thanks for posting this link!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 180/149/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I've find some of the findings suspect. Basically Weston A. Price visited primitive societies that didn't have access to medical care and only found healthy people. Therefore eating the local primitive diet, whether low carb or high carb, kept them healthy.

Has anyone considered the fact that he only found healthy vibrant people is those who had conditions such as diabetes, cancer or heart disease would of died without medical care?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 10:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleodude
Has anyone considered the fact that he only found healthy vibrant people is those who had conditions such as diabetes, cancer or heart disease would of died without medical care?

It has been considered. But that's not the case.

In Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, he has a whole chapter discussing this theory, and rejects it because of every report from missionary doctors and colonial health outreaches and the like winds up coming to the same conclusions; these people tend to live to old age without developing diabetes, cancer or heart disease.

This is how these conditions got the brand tag of "Diseases of Civilization." In this case, they deserve it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 12:50

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is Weston Price's book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_li...e/pricetoc.html

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_li...priceintro.html
Quote:
After spending several years approaching this problem by both clinical and laboratory research methods, I interpreted the accumulating evidence as strongly indicating the absence of some essential factors from our modern program, rather than the presence of injurious factors. This immediately indicated the need for obtaining controls. To accomplish this it became necessary to locate immune groups which were found readily as isolated remnants of primitive racial stocks in different parts of the world. A critical examination of these groups revealed a high immunity to many of our serious affections so long as they were sufficiently isolated from our modern civilization and living in accordance with the nutritional programs which were directed by the accumulated wisdom of the group. In every instance where individuals of the same racial stocks who had lost this isolation and who had adopted the foods and food habits of our modern civilization were examined, there was an early loss of the high immunity characteristics of the isolated group. These studies have included a chemical analysis of foods of the isolated groups and also of the displacing foods of our modern civilization.

Translation: He looked for traditional populations that had both a group that still lived according to their primitive wisdom, and a group that had adopted modern wisdom. Then he compared their health and so forth. This way we eliminate genetics as a possible factor.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 180/149/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, I've read it twice but I am not that impressed.

I do know Christian Missionaries currently (2011) living among primitive hunter gatherer tribes. Many of the tribes are on a waiting list for missionaries to come live with them. Why are the tribes so interested in the Christian Missionaries? Because the missionaries bring the medicines they need. Yes, the ones who survive childhood adolescence do tend to live to old age. But the traditional diet does nothing for the high infant and child mortality rates.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 22:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleodude
I have the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, I've read it twice but I am not that impressed.

I do know Christian Missionaries currently (2011) living among primitive hunter gatherer tribes. Many of the tribes are on a waiting list for missionaries to come live with them. Why are the tribes so interested in the Christian Missionaries? Because the missionaries bring the medicines they need. Yes, the ones who survive childhood adolescence do tend to live to old age. But the traditional diet does nothing for the high infant and child mortality rates.

Now you enter in a philosophical discussion. Need why? They didn't need it when it wasn't available. Why should they need it now, because it's available? High mortality rate is normal for all species, why not humans, because we're the chosen, we're a thinking species, because it's sad to see so many children die? There is such a thing as traditional medicine. Is modern medicine any better? Consider all your arguments in favor of modern medicine, then consider that we're all sick with some sort of disease of civilization.

I question your implication that traditional populations have a high infant mortality rate. I read elsewhere that some populations systematically practice pregnancy spacing of at least 4-5 years. Maybe infant mortality rate isn't as high as you'd imagine.

Weston Price saw what he saw. You don't have to agree with his conclusions, but you have no choice but to believe him when he says "I saw this". The traditional populations that ate their traditional diets were more healthy than the same populations who adopted modern foods. All that in spite of modern medicine. If infant mortality rate is higher, so what. Those who make it to adulthood are what matters. Consider that the infants that died would probably be sick anyway. What good would that do? Is our current situation better than theirs?

Philosophy, define good and bad. So a high infant mortality rate is a bad thing. Then a high infant disease rate is a good thing. Because that's the trade off.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 04:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
The traditional populations that ate their traditional diets were more healthy than the same populations who adopted modern foods.

I picked this out because I actually agree with it.

Um, I think infant mortality does matter. I don't care how "normal" infant mortality is in all species, I don't like it when it happens in humans.

Paleodude, are you saying that the modern, cruddy diet protects against infectious disease? Personally I think modern plumbing is a far better candidate.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 08:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Um, I think infant mortality does matter. I don't care how "normal" infant mortality is in all species, I don't like it when it happens in humans.

Paleodude, are you saying that the modern, cruddy diet protects against infectious disease? Personally I think modern plumbing is a far better candidate.

Most of our discussions here revolve around diet and disease, not medicine and infant mortality. Yet the two are intimately linked. We understand the role diet plays on our health but often forget what role infant mortality plays on our health. To put it simply, the higher infant mortality rate, the lower disease rate, and vice verse. If you don't like infant mortality, then you must like diseases because that's the trade off. Rather, you must be willing to accept diseases. If you've been reading this forum for a while, you'll note that most here don't accept diseases and would prefer not be afflicted with them. But I bet most would choose low infant mortality in a jiffy if given the choice because they probably want that less than diseases.

Paleodude brought it up, as if we could get both somehow by choosing our foods better. Based on our current plight, it's obvious we can't. It's either or. I'm not sure what I want most, or how much it will cost of the other.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 22:56

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Modern plumbing, trash collection & elimination, clean water.