Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 12:04
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Individual Angel Food Cakes [Carbquik]

Been working on this a couple days now. This is third trial and I'm finally pleased enough to share this one. It's pictured here if you'd like a preview: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...gel-food-cakes/

Angel Food Cake is not my personal favorite when it comes to cake, but many low-carbers like them and have asked for a good recipe. I’ve hunted all over the net these last two years for a decent low-carb version, but the only two I’ve tried were awful. In fact, the base recipe I used for this was awful: dense, not very white inside and fell to half its height when it cooled. But I totally changed it up with a different flour substitute, added a bit of leavening besides the egg whites themselves (which is all the original recipe used for leavening) and VOILÀ! A cute little, tasty and a respectable version of the real thing. It was white inside, spongy as expected, not too sweet and did NOT fall when it cooled! It also sliced nicely once cooled for the potential of adding a frosting layer, or for serving open-faced for fruit shortcakes. If you really want to cut the carbs in this, just eat one lateral slice (half has only 2.27 net carbs!).

Those accustomed to substituting liquid sweetener to cut carbs, that might be tricky in an angel food cake, which is mostly egg white and very little flour. I think the granular Splenda may be essential to assist in the rising and “grabbing” of the side walls of the cake pan myself. If you try that substitution, the cake could fail to “hang on” to the pan and not rise at all or possibly fall before it even comes out of the oven. Please post back how that goes it you try that. I’d be curious to know your results.

Not quite as smooth as commercial angel food, but MUCH better than my first two trials.

Pic of inside texture & appearance is on my website

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. Carbquick bake mix, sifted
1/3 c. granular Splenda
Pinch salt
4 egg whites
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. almond extract

DIRECTIONS: Grease two individual angel food pans with spray or a dab of butter or coconut oil and set aside. Mine are Wilton brand angel food cake pans with the lift-out insert I found at Hobby Lobby in the cake decorating area. They hold about 1 cup of batter, so if you don’t have the type of pan I used, an extra large muffin cup may work for you. You’ll just have to try that out, as I really don’t know for sure.

Now back to the cake itself. Preheat oven to 350º. Sift the Carbquick into a bowl (assist a bit with your fingers in the sieve as is won’t sift like real flour). Discard all the bits of fat collected in the sieve. Add Splenda and salt to the Carbquick, stir and set this aside for a few moments. In another clean, dry medium bowl beat the egg whites (with a pinch of cream of tartar if you like) until they will make peaks that stand up when you lift the beaters up out of them but are not really stand straight up yet, known as soft peaks. Place the sifter over the egg white bowl and pour a couple tablespoons of the dry ingredients through the sifter, letting it fall onto the egg whites. Fold into the egg whites carefully, so as to not deflate the whites (though they will deflate some). Repeat sifting small amounts of dry ingredients over the whites until all has been slowly folded in. Dribble the extract over the whites and fold that in as well. Do not overwork the batter! Gently pour into the two greased pans, scraping every little bit of batter out of your bowl. Try to divide the batter as equally between the two as you can. Set the mini pans onto a baking pan and bake at 350º for about 20-24 minutes. Ovens vary, but do not open oven until you’re at at least 20 minutes I would think, lest the draft causes them to fall on you. Angel food cakes are very touchy that way. Remove from oven and totally cool before attempting to loosen and remove from pan. Serve as is, or sliced laterally with fruit and whipped cream on top, or with your favorite sauce or frosting.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes two mini cakes. Each cake contains:

73 calories
.1 fat
12.55 carbs, 7 g fiber, 5.55 NET CARBS
10.2 g protein
436 mg sodium
Sponsored Links