Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 22:01

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Serve with a blob of plain mayonnaise, or mayo blended with lemon juice and/or dijon mustard and/or horseradish .. or chopped capers with tarragon ..

Or a blob of guacamole.

Blobs of yummy fat are good on *anything*.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 22:33

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmm ... sardine patties! Whodathunk??

Sounds good --- I'll have to give that a try, although DH hates cheese, especially the smell of parmesan, so I may have to leave that out unless I wait until sometime when he's away without me.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 01:59
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default the Concept of ...

Quote:
Wow. 57 posts so far, and nobody has mentioned sardine patties. Tut tut

Yep, you can smush up a can of sardines just like tuna or salmon, mix with whatever you like and fry in some good hot fat.
You have opened up an whole low-carb culinary Universe Scary Yes! -- Delicious Yes!
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 17:28

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Okay, fine!!!! You all have FINALLY talked me into it! I'm going to give these a try using Doreen's recipe first.

Also want to thank Elizellen for the crackers in the muffin pan idea! I use a different recipe, but the idea of baking them into little round crackers sounds very appealing! Thank you!
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 17:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
You have opened up an whole low-carb culinary Universe Scary Yes! -- Delicious Yes!

Absolutely!

Smush up anything lowcarb. Anything .. meat, fish, fowl ... veggies if you eat 'em. Fry in hot fat. Serve with a blob of fatty goodness of some sort or another. What's not to love about that???

Works for me

Doreen
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 18:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I just had two tins of sardines in water served over brown rice with Thai red sauce and some Swiss cheese, a glass or two of Texas red wine. It's almost 8 PM and I am not hungry yet. Fish is a good light meal in this hot weather. Even that lunch slowed me down for an hour or two after eating. I think digestion saps my strength especially in the Summer.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/148/131 Female 60
BF:33.3%
Progress: -6%

I LOVE sardines!! And canned makeral!

I used to have them on toast now I have them in my salad. I use the oil they are canned in to drizle all over the leaves.

I have them nearly every day!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/268/190 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress:

Sardines with minced onions, hot sauce, and lime juice, plus salt. Very good.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 12:18
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I love them too, but not often, and I keep forgetting about them ... thanks for the reminder! I can't wait for lunch-time to make a run to the store!
Quote:
All sardines are very low in mercury, which is the biggest problem with much seafood. Generally speaking, the bigger the fish — the higher on the oceanic food chain — the more the mercury. Shark, tuna — and yes, salmon too — are all high in mercury. As befitting their name, sardines are small. About the lowest on the food chain, they are also among the fish lowest in mercury.

And they are among the very highest in the best kind of oil, omega-3. SOURCE
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 13:53

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's funny that I found this thread because, today, I bought my first (ever!) tin of herring-- the Brunswick brand that was mentioned earlier. Most of the flavours have soybean oil, so I went with the 'naturally golden smoked' which has only the fillets, water, and sodium phosphate. I know sodium phosphate is a food additive, so I'm kinda unsure about this brand.

I also bought a couple of other brands that have only water and salt, so I can compare flavour. I couldn't find them in olive oil. And, I bought a tin of "natural" mackerel in brine.

Now if only I can work up the nerve to try them out... I've been staring at them on the counter for a few hours!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 16:12

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Wow. 57 posts so far, and nobody has mentioned sardine patties. Tut tut

Yep, you can smush up a can of sardines just like tuna or salmon, mix with whatever you like and fry in some good hot fat. Serve as is or with a fatty sauce .. bearnaise, or garlicky mayo or dijonnaise .. or whatever ...

Here's a basic recipe ... change whatever you like ...

Sardine Patties

1 can spring water packed sardines, drained
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp dry grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp (or more) lard or unsalted butter or desired fat for frying

Mash drained sardines, including skin and bone. Add beaten egg, finely chopped green onion, parmesan and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well. Let stand for a few minutes, to absorb all of the egg. Heat fat in a non-stick skillet. Divide sardine mixture into 4 portions. Scoop each into hot skillet, and flatten into patties with the back of a large spoon. Fry both sides until golden brown.

Serve with a blob of plain mayonnaise, or mayo blended with lemon juice and/or dijon mustard and/or horseradish .. or chopped capers with tarragon ..

Mmmmmmmm

Trust me ... confirmed sardine haters will *love* these

Doreen

I was VERY leery of trying these! I even had ds open the can out of my presence because I might have lost it if they'd had their heads on. No heads. Tried the above recipe using pork rinds in place of the parmesan since I'm diary free. Very good and VERY filling! I could only eat two of the four patties along with my veggies. The boys complained of the smell, but I didn't think it was too bad. Neither of them would even try a bite - more for me. I'm going to try incorporating these at least once per week due to the health benefits. Might get courageous enough to even try them using other methods mentioned here.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe, Doreen!

By the way, I purchased Crown Prince brand Skinless & Boneless (and headless, though not indicated on the box) packed in olive oil from Walmart. They were $1.78. A different brand packed in water was I think 50c cheaper.

Thanks for the thread, OP!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 18:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by havetodoit
Sardines with minced onions, hot sauce, and lime juice, plus salt. Very good.

I will have to try that. Normally I simply eat them straight from the can but once in a blue moon I want a different taste.

I wish I had not forgotten to add some to my last grocery delivery.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 18:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopjunkie
It's funny that I found this thread because, today, I bought my first (ever!) tin of herring-- the Brunswick brand that was mentioned earlier. Most of the flavours have soybean oil

I *hate* that dang soybean oil. Why do they have to put that crap in *everything*!? I buy the sardines in mustard or water because of it.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 17:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/258.4/180 Female 65inches
BF:nope i'm married
Progress: 11%

Haha I finally tried for the first time sardines in olive oil. The damn thing scared me ! I did what i keep seeing, drain, shot of lemon juice and mayo. Reminded me of salmon cakes mix before frying... Must make this a staple now.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 18:26

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Just to reassure anyone who might be worried, I've been eating sardines since I was a little kid 3/4 of a century ago, many different brands, and I've NEVER seen one canned with the head on! Take your courage in hand and give 'em a try -- they're cheap enough ... if you don't like them how much do you lose by tossing them?