Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I always bring a little bag of almonds in with me. But I still see no valid reason nutrition information should not be required.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 05:43

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
I always bring a little bag of almonds in with me. But I still see no valid reason nutrition information should not be required.

I agree, and a list of ingredients would be even more useful!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 06:30
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

You know what would be funny? If they put the nutrition information on the labels and so on...but then later on, tried to add something seemingly "healthy" to make it seem better, somehow.

I'm reminded of the time I spied a box of chocolate covered ooey-gooey granola bars at the grocery store, emblazoned with "OMEGA 3." They'd added a tiny amount of omega 3 to sort of get in on the latest/greatest thing that people were figuring out might be healthy.

I can see it now...there'll be things like Green Tea Popcorn or whatever the 'latest' thing is. Anti-oxidant enriched? It'll be something like that. Or maybe it'll turn out to be "VEGAN" if they don't use real butter.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 07:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
You know what would be funny? If they put the nutrition information on the labels and so on...but then later on, tried to add something seemingly "healthy" to make it seem better, somehow.

I'm reminded of the time I spied a box of chocolate covered ooey-gooey granola bars at the grocery store, emblazoned with "OMEGA 3." They'd added a tiny amount of omega 3 to sort of get in on the latest/greatest thing that people were figuring out might be healthy.

I can see it now...there'll be things like Green Tea Popcorn or whatever the 'latest' thing is. Anti-oxidant enriched? It'll be something like that. Or maybe it'll turn out to be "VEGAN" if they don't use real butter.

They do that now. Whole grain pop tarts and Froot Loops. some of that crap even qualifies for the AHA label.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 08:05
I've decided

Quote:
They do that now. Whole grain pop tarts and Froot Loops. some of that crap even qualifies for the AHA label.

Yep - I once saw some turkey sausages in a store, with a fancy 'American Heart Association' logo on the package. Picked up the package, looked at the ingredients...they had "corn syrup solids" in them.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
Why don't you elaborate on why it's silly instead of making blanket statements?

Information is only useful if it's actionable. If I hand you a bag and only say, "This food has 2 carbs per serving," what's the logical first question?

Here's the issue as I see it: the PTD don't want labeling to give people info. They have an outcome they want. If people see coke has 140 calories per 12 ounces, and order a large coke, they'll lowball it. It's 20 ounces [233 calories], not 32 ounces [373 calories]. The person overshoots by 150 calories a day, and gains 15 pounds in a year! So, the PTB want labels that provide accurate amounts so people will make "smart" choices. Someone who wants a 20 ounce drink will order a medium instead.

But you can't do that with unmeasured concessions. It's not silly to point that out. Since this action has a desired outcome, enforcing it in all situations without taking into account variables is an exercise in failure.

When you write something worthy of elaborating on, I will. Stoned teenagers doesn't fit the bill.

Food is measured, if people want to do the math, they will.

Run along....
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 10:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Yep - I once saw some turkey sausages in a store, with a fancy 'American Heart Association' logo on the package. Picked up the package, looked at the ingredients...they had "corn syrup solids" in them.

This is why I've come to the conclusion that no labeling of food as "light", "low fat", "whole grain", "low carb", or anything else should be allowed. Those labels are entirely about marketing. The standards are too easy to game, and it allows companies to put a false health halo on processed carb-goop. I'm even skeptical of organic labeling for that reason.

Whole grain is the most odious of these. It allows you to falsely portray an unhealthy product as healthy.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipley
When you write something worthy of elaborating on..

Quote:
Run along....

You know, it's really disheartening for a new member of the forum, who is trying to get a feel for the "tone", to run into snark like the above.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 10:44

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh
You know, it's really disheartening for a new member of the forum, who is trying to get a feel for the "tone", to run into snark like the above.

Seems unnecessary to me. I've got no cat in this fight, but everyone is free to express an opinion....so why the rudness.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrn122

Seems unnecessary to me. I've got no cat in this fight, but everyone is free to express an opinion....so why the rudness.

What was written was an insult to teens who have jobs. Some support this concept, I do not. ANYONE who works for a living deserves credit, including teens.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 20:54
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm with North_Guy. Bring in something yummy and if they gripe, look at them wide-eyed and say, "I'm diabetic -- this is all I can eat. I'm afraid I'll be tempted otherwise. If I eat the stuff at the counter . . . {pause for dramatic effect} . . . I COULD DIE!"

Of course, if you are the size of a linebacker all the way down this is a lot easier to pull off. ;-)

PJ
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 21:14
I've decided

Quote:
This is why I've come to the conclusion that no labeling of food as "light", "low fat", "whole grain", "low carb", or anything else should be allowed. Those labels are entirely about marketing. The standards are too easy to game, and it allows companies to put a false health halo on processed carb-goop. I'm even skeptical of organic labeling for that reason.

Whole grain is the most odious of these. It allows you to falsely portray an unhealthy product as healthy.

You might be onto something here - while I was initially annoyed at hearing that food manufacturers couldn't claim "low carb" on packaging in Canada (at least this is what I heard)...you're right. Forget all that, because anything can be made to seem healthier than it really is.

I mean, anything can be marketed to be low in something bad or high in something else that supposedly healthy. That said, I'd still appreciate having the ingredients and basic nutrition information. Even if it does turn out that my bucket of popcorn is more like 19 servings instead of just one.