Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 11:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might want to check your oven temperature. Mine only takes 45ish minutes at 300. Hmmm... I should probably check mine too! A good oven thermometer is pretty cheap.

Okay... just made another 2#'s of bacon and 325 is the temperature I used. 300 just takes too long and I didn't get any splatters at 325.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Mar-06-11 at 12:48.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 13:50

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Since you like Thai,and you also know how to roast pork,I would suggest making "Thai" lettuce wraps..Shred some pork with a fork and take a leaf of butter lettuce or napa cabbage,add the pork,some bean sprouts,carrot slivers,shredded cabbage ,mushrooms and crushed macadamian nuts...(I avoid peanuts due to the high omega-6)
Wrap it up in the leaf and dip in a sauce of sesame oil,Gluten free-Tamari,and red pepper flakes..Yummo!! These will keep nicely in a plastic container and don't need to be heated,so making them great for your lunches!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 08:50

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted ideas here.

Last week I made:
1 a spinach/portobello mushroom lasagna (too much dairy to be considered primal, but I'm not 100% compliant).

2 I also made the roast pork with mushroom bacon stuffing.

3 chicken skewers with a coconut satay marinade

This week I've made:

1 a mexican stew with chicken and sausage. (Not as tasty as the recipe sounded and now I have mass quantities
http://cindalouskitchenblues.blogsp...ausage-and.html

2 Chicken parm -again has dairy, but I used coconut flour for breading.

3 Today I'm roasting a chicken and will likely make a chicken pot pie with the leftovers.http://genaw.com/lowcarb/chicken_potpie_bake.html

4 I also will do something Thai with some ground beef I have. I will either wrap it as suggested above or just make a salad.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:31

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You might want to check your oven temperature. Mine only takes 45ish minutes at 300. Hmmm... I should probably check mine too! A good oven thermometer is pretty cheap.

Okay... just made another 2#'s of bacon and 325 is the temperature I used. 300 just takes too long and I didn't get any splatters at 325.

After I pick up a thermometer I'm going to keep inching up my oven 10 degrees each time I do this, starting at 335. At some point I'll find the maximum temp (and minimum time) I can do it without splattering.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 09:33

BF:

I think my oven problem is that it takes much longer to heat up to the temperature I've set it at than it indicates. I bought an oven thermometer. To get the oven temp, according to the new thermometer, to 338 (or so) I had to set the oven to 360. 22 degrees off! But, when I was finished cooking the bacon I had the oven set at 355 and the new thermometer read 350. This was about 10 minutes after I took the bacon out. At any rate, I went to rotate my pans at 30 minutes and the bacon was done! Which was great. 338 caused a little bit of splatter so next time I'll set it a little lower. Also this time I didn't use foil, don't know if that would make a difference, seems like it shouldn't.

The bacon is VERY tasty this way, even cold, but I found from the last batch that after 2-3 days it started tasting a little stale.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hadn't noticed the staleness. I use the foil to avoid having a lot of cleanup. My baking sheets are old and the coating that prevented stuff from sticking is worn off.

I love how easy it is!

I store my bacon in a closeable box with a pretty good fitting lid.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 13:40

BF:

Yeah, clean-up was easier with the foil but I felt way too much guilt about throwing all that foil in the trash instead of recycling it, and washing foil is more of a pain than washing my pans.

I had more bacon bits sticking to my nonstick baking sheet (which is in pretty good shape) than my battle-scarred, blackened, cheap aluminum baking sheet. Go figure.