Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 03:32

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Your allotment garden is good for your health

Before I translate the following article, I would want to give a tiny bit of explanation concerning the "allotment gardens" which are meant in the article.

The "allotment gardens" were an incentive in the Netherlands and Belgium (and possibly in other countries too) that started at the end of the 19th Century. They are gardens which are not part of the own home. You can rent them for a tiny price from the municipality. For that tiny price you commit yourself to tending such a garden as if it just simply were your own. You can plant vegetables on it, or flowers, or a combination or whatever you like (as long as you don't start a cannabis or opium plantage)

In the article, allotment gardens are concerned, but I suppose any little garden a person has that is part of his house, will do as well.

Your allotment garden is good for your health

Elder people who have an allotment garden, are clearly healthier and fitter than their agemates who have no access to their own little green piece of land. This is the conclusion of Agnes van den Berg of the Dutch research bureau Alterra in a research to the health effects of allotment gardens.

According to Alterra this aspect of the allotment gardens was never looked into. Taking into account that the average age of the population is constantly increasing, government would do well to stimulate the use of such allotment garden complexes.

By means of several experiments, Van den Berg demonstrated the past year that nature is good for a human being. Not only does nature affect our mood, but it also has a positive impact on stress: the amount of stress hormone in saliva is much reduced. So Van den Berg tries to give a scientific explanation.

"It would mean a lot probably if we understand how nature influences our brain. Take ADHD for example. Children are given Ritalin. It is accepted as a medicine because we know how it works. Nature therapy may also work, but if we do not understand how, it will never be accepted as a therapy".

Coming into contact with nature would boost a person's mood immensely. "Even casting a short glance through the window on the green plants outside can have a positive influence. The repairing effect of nature has different phases. They go from superficial to very deep. A short contact with nature repairs acute stress", concludes Van den Berg.

Van den Berg regrets that in urban territory it is so difficult to find nature. "Why can't children play in the neighborhood anymore? The connection with nature is made when we are young. After that it's a lost opportunity".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 04:11

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

We have an allotment here in England and it's hard work!!!!!!!!!! But great exercise
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

We have them in some communities in the United States, I hope someone chimes in with what they are called here!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 12:49

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

They are known are 'community gardens' here.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Most allotments in the UK are used for fruit and veg production though sometimes(rarely) you see flowers and some people are able to keep chickens on them as well.

"Provided the plot is used mainly for growing vegetables and fruit, plot holders are allowed to keep hens and rabbits on their allotment, although this can be restricted by local by-laws."

So it may be the fact that allotment holders have access to fresh organic veggies/fruit and eggs throughout the year as well as regular outdoor exercise that makes a difference. There is usually a social aspect to allotments as many are on communal sites so you tend to meet other people of like mind. Pigeon fanciers also sometimes keep their birds on an allotment though they are not kept for food but racing & betting.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Primal, leptin reset
Stats: 178/163/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Community gardens. A church nearby has a chunk of land with raised beds and irrigation. Families can rent them each year. From what I understand, there is some type of financial deal with the government when private institutions do this. There are also bits of state land as well. Some schools have space set aside. They are out there....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 07:56

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

My city has really embraced community gardens. They're wonderful! So beautiful!

Four city-owned houses near my house were recently torn down...the basements kept flooding, and tenants couldn't get any insurance because of it. I think the city is going to turn the property into community gardens...I think I'll apply for one this year!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 08:36

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Gardeners and dog walkers are healthier for longer.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 08:45

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I wish there were more allotments available near us. The waiting list is long. We have a large (for London) back garden, but it doesn't get a lot of sun, and the soil is very poor. I grew some things last year, but a lot didn't make it due to the conditions and the slugs/snails.

I would love to have our own little allotment and rescue some battery hens. I think that would be a little piece of heaven for me. We don't know if we will be in the area long enough to make it worth going on the waiting list.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 23:27

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

WA state is big on community gardens.
No hens and rabbits, though.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 01:37

BF:

Well, I am not waiting anymore. I have started already last year by planting some garlic. It seems to have survived the winter and I hope it will thrive so that I can harvest in the Summer.
And a few days ago I planted some chilli seeds (Rouge de Bresse). I intend to plant tomatoes and cucumbers and parsnips and some other neat stuff that I can lay my hands on.

I don't really have a garden, but I do have a tiny bit of room outside where I can place some plants in pots. I have been informing myself the past days and it appears that some vegetables and fruit even thrive better in a pot than in full earth. So it should be doable.

I have been wanting to do this for yeeeeeeaaaaars and finally since starting low carb last year, I have become convinced more and more that it's the best way to get decent vegetables and fruit. And it even tastes better
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 03:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Guerilla Gardening

zelf aan de slag

One crop that would do particularly well in a urban environment particularly if there is an eyesore you wanted to screen (horrible fencing/wall) would be Jerusalem artichokes. They are actually a member of the sunflower family so have that kind of growth habit and leaves. They can grow to 6~8ft so make a good green screen for most of the year and can be harvested after the frost. Not practicable in a pot or small garden.

They are pretty much pest/disease free and while the roots are much bigger and less nobbly when grown in well fertilized/manured soil they do all right in rough ground. I just planted tubers sold by the greengrocer (I didn't buy them from a garden center) and they were fine. You could get them started in pots under plastic to give them a head start and plant them out as soon as the frost has ended or you could just sneek the tubers under ground around the eyesore in the middle of the night 18inches/2 ft apart as early in spring as you dare. They would then appear in the summer and screen the eyesore and not require further attention. You could then return in the winter to harvest. Almost certainly you will not manage to dig up all the tubers so the screen should miraculously reappear year after year.

They are a good source of fructooligosaccharides which are bifidogenic. Increasing bifidobacteria in the gut is anti inflammatory increases omega 3 status and while improving mineral absorption (magnesium, zinc, iron, copper) reduces pathogenic gut flora so improving immune function. Disadvantage is that until you have a good gut flora they make you fart a lot. Once you have acquired a good gut flora no problems at all.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Feb-04-11 at 03:32.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 05:50

BF:

Are you reading my mind?
I was indeed considering - among others - to plant artichokes.
I love the soft part in the middle which we in Flemish call "artichoke hearts". Those are yummie.

I am not sure though if I will manage, considering - as I said - the lack of "real soil" in my garden.
I still need to inform myself in how far it's doable to plant artichokes in a pot. (Yes, I read that you say it can't be done - but I am stubborn).

Thanks for the links. I will be reading through them this afternoon.

Last edited by Pilili : Fri, Feb-04-11 at 05:57.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 07:01

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilili
I love the soft part in the middle which we in Flemish call "artichoke hearts". Those are yummie.

That's what they are called in English as well.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 07:34

BF:

Okay, I admit I was too lazy to look it up
Saving my energy for the gardening work