Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 17:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Interview with Gary Taubes

Tom Nuaghton at the Fathead blog interviews Gary Taubes about his new book:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....th-gary-taubes/

Interesting Q&A session, though I admit this exchange depressed me a little bit!

Quote:
Fat Head: You wrote something in Why We Get Fat that I think every frustrated dieter needs to hear: the proper diet will help us become as lean as we can be, but not necessarily as lean as we’d like to be. Once we become fat, is there a limit to how much fat we can lose without starving away our lean tissue? If so, what’s the barrier to mobilizing and burning those last 10 or 20 pounds of excess fat?

Gary Taubes: Simple answer, I don’t know. But it’s obvious that not every woman can have the body of an Angelina Jolie, regardless of how few carbs they eat. And not every man can have the body or the body-fat percentage of, I don’t know, a Matthew McConaughey, one of these actors who’s always taking his shirt off in movies.

That’s for starters. Some of us are wired to have more body fat than others from the get-go. Then I think when we grow up in a carb-rich environment, some degree of chronic damage is done to the way we partition fuel. Maybe our muscle tissue never quite loses its insulin resistance, or our fat tissue remains more insulin sensitive than it would be had we never seen carbs. Maybe our pancreas secretes a little too much insulin.

It’s hard to tell, but the way I describe it is this: if I grew up in a hunter-gatherer environment — and my mother did as well, because there are effects that are passed from mother to child through the uterus — I’d probably weigh around 175 pounds, even as an adult. Had I stopped eating carbs in my late teens, I might naturally weigh about 190 or 200, which was my football weight in high school. The fact that I not only kept eating carbohydrates into my forties but gorged on them during the low-fat, you-can’t-get-fat-if-a-food-doesn’t-have-fat-in-it years of the late 1980s and early 1990s means the best I can do now, even eating virtually no carbs at all, is about 220. And there’s nothing I can do to go lower, short of starving myself. Semi-starving myself doesn’t work. I tried that long ago.

Fat Head: So what’s the message for those people? Lose what you can and focus on being healthy, as opposed to obsessing with squeezing into a size-8 dress?

Gary Taubes: Precisely.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 18:34

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

Yup. That depresses me. So I'm going to choose to adhere to the old adage of 'You can't always be right' and assume that as right as Gary often is, he's wrong on this one
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 19:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think he's right, having tried to diet off these last 20-30 pounds for forever now. It takes some pretty extreme measures to move them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

They say that you put on extra fat cells 3 times during your lifetime--as an infant, puberty and pregnancy. If you put on too many at those times, you will never lose the fat cells but only shrink them to a smaller size. That is what is disturbing about all the overweight children.

So, you can lose weight, to a point, but those fat cells will never go away. That is, without liposuction or surgery.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 22:03

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

If it makes anyone a little happier, 20 lbs overweight looks a lot better as you age. The face naturally thins with age and the extra 20 might be where it doesn't look TOO bad -- like hips or butt.

I hate having a fat face.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 23:22

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
It’s hard to tell, but the way I describe it is this: if I grew up in a hunter-gatherer environment — and my mother did as well, because there are effects that are passed from mother to child through the uterus — I’d probably weigh around 175 pounds, even as an adult. Had I stopped eating carbs in my late teens, I might naturally weigh about 190 or 200, which was my football weight in high school. The fact that I not only kept eating carbohydrates into my forties but gorged on them during the low-fat, you-can’t-get-fat-if-a-food-doesn’t-have-fat-in-it years of the late 1980s and early 1990s means the best I can do now, even eating virtually no carbs at all, is about 220. And there’s nothing I can do to go lower, short of starving myself. Semi-starving myself doesn’t work. I tried that long ago.

I have to disagree with Taubes on one point. We can do something about it. But not with diet alone. In bodybuilding circles, they use clenbuterol and growth hormone, to name a few, to grow leaner independently of diet. Never mind that the same people who do that still believe it's all about calories. But I digress. If Taubes really wanted to grow as lean as he wanted, he could. But then, maybe Taubes doesn't want to look like he's advising people to do something illegal or immoral. Yet I can't help but note that he is telling us that the moral thing to do (semi-starve himself) doesn't actually work.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 02:25

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
They say that you put on extra fat cells 3 times during your lifetime--as an infant, puberty and pregnancy. If you put on too many at those times, you will never lose the fat cells but only shrink them to a smaller size. That is what is disturbing about all the overweight children.

So, you can lose weight, to a point, but those fat cells will never go away. That is, without liposuction or surgery.

Well I was a chubby at puberty, so I think there's a liposuction in my future. Not to be defeatist or anything, but even when I was in the best shape of my life, dancing several hours a day, 6 days a week, and by NO means fat, in fact pretty hot, I still thought I had too much body fat around tummy and thighs. It could be just body image issues. Once I get close to goal, I'm going to have some of those extra fat cells sucked out. So they can't reinflate.

I think cellulite is a separate problem? Need to do more research.

#8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 06:06
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I'm more disturbed by the idea of everyone trying to attain a 'perfect' body. What's wrong with us all being different sizes as long as we're healthy. The overweight category of the bmi range is the healthiest with the lowest mortality rates, that's what I'm aiming for. So I agree with Gary that we can't all be a size 8 - and we don't need to be.

I think that this idea that everyone has to strive for skinny is ultimately destructive. I know several young girls (16 & 17) of normal size - the upper end of the healthy bmi range, but their lives are completely overtaken by diets and obsessing about losing weight and controlling food. They are convinced that they are fat and hate not conforming to the images of super skinny-ness that they see every day. They tell themselves that once they get to this 'ideal' size their lives will start and they will be happy. Sometimes you see it on the forum, someone will post saying they're grossly fat, and when you check their stats, they have a BMI of 23 or something similar.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 07:34

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

That is depressing, especially when your fat cells will forever tell your brain you need to eat. That means the drive to over eat will never go away? Yeah, that's depressing. Not to mention the saggy skin some of us get from losing a great deal of weight. Still, hungry fat cells and droopy skin are better then remaining fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 07:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I'm more disturbed by the idea of everyone trying to attain a 'perfect' body. What's wrong with us all being different sizes as long as we're healthy.

Lee

I think that's a wonderful point to make; who is to say what is extra, and how many of us could ever attain the degree of skinniness our current society demands?

Obviously some people, like Gary Taubes, feels thwarted; but he continues to make the very good point that even if we cut our carbs and don't lose "enough" weight, it might be better to accept it than to endanger our health with unreasonable demands, or feel badly about our inability to keep up a grinding regimen that can't be sustained.

Remember, those models on the magazine covers are airbrushed, often down two sizes! Their bumps are smoother over, their arms thinned, their hips reduced beyond normal pevic bones.

When professionals aren't good enough; we've reached a ridiculous point.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 09:11
Experimenter

BF:

Fat cells die like other cells. 10% of them die every year and can be replaced by new ones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/h...arch/05fat.html
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I think the best thing we can do is observe people. Some thin people look horrendous in what they wear, but I've seen obese people look beautiful. If we watch people and get a feel for why some people look beautiful, we may apply those things to ourselves. For me, I just loved the clothes that Louise Jefferson wore on The Jeffersons and also the clothes Bea Arthur wore on Golden Girls. I loved the soft flow of the fabrics and the colors. But then look at how Roseanne Barr dressed in her sitcom and I certainly didn't want to emulate that!

Nancy, is it that the fat cells CAN be replaced or ARE? I always heard that the number never goes away.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Nancy, is it that the fat cells CAN be replaced or ARE? I always heard that the number never goes away.

According to that article, they're replaced with shiny new ones! Bleh. Or you can get lipo or nowadays they're freezing them to death too.

And... if you gain a lot of weight, you will make new ones.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 12:56

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Fat cells die like other cells. 10% of them die every year and can be replaced by new ones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/h...arch/05fat.html

Oh crap! I hope that they aren't replaced after lipo...that's my fallback position! And there's this CoolSculpt procedure available now...if I still have chicken wings for arms, I wonder if sufficient strength training would resolve that, the procedure is not cheap...

Thanks for the informative article, Nancy.

Last edited by ImOnMyWay : Sun, Jan-16-11 at 13:47.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 15:00

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I think that this idea that everyone has to strive for skinny is ultimately destructive.

I unwittingly stumbled upon an pro-ana channel on YouTube today, while looking for a show about a model doing a crash diet to become a "size 0" as a media experiment. I flipped through some of the other documentary videos on the channel and was appalled. Girls starving themselves from a size 8 to a size 2...or 0...or 00 - what difference does it make? How different can you really look with a 2 fewer inches on your waist? For many of them, it was the difference between looking smoking hot and seeing ribs.

Now, I'm by no means satisfied with how my body looks right now, but I've come to accept that this is about all I'm going to get from diet. I may drop another 10/15 pounds, if I'm lucky. I've moved on to toning exercises to firm up what the children stretched. And, yes, I'll be more than a little upset if I'm stuck at a size 10 for the rest of my life, but it sure beats the 22/24 I was in when I started. The idea of pushing for a 2 or a 4? It seems almost impossible, and definitely unhealthy.

Back to the interview, I think a lot of what he said depends on where you are. Most of the women here have gone through 2 of the 3 fat creating stages, many of us all 3. A 15 year old embarking on a weight-loss mission, though, they have much better odds...