Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 04:16

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

The blog is great. A lot of information in there.
Yesterday afternoon (Europe time) I asked a question, and already got the answer a few hours later.

I read somewhere (I think it was Barry Groves's site) that both carbs and protein cause insulin production, however fat does not.
On top of that, so did I read, if you add fat to carbs and / or protein, the glycemic load is reduced, so that less insulin is produced.

I understand that Paul will rather eat potatoes and rice than anything based on wheat.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 04:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

On the constipation issue, I found that once I cut my carbs back and increased my meat and fat intake the problem disappeared within a week (I had suffered for years). I put it down to the increase in fat in my diet, but can't be sure about that. I don't each a lot of vegetables so I'm not getting that much fibre.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 13:58

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I had more constipation issues when I was eating veggies. Now that I'm meat, eggs, and cheese, no problems, unless I way overdo it on the cheese. Plenty of fat seems to help most people.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 14:21

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's strange how different our bodies react to certain changes. I am one who did not do well on VLC and do not do well (nor does my weight) on too much meat and fat. I do eat fat, but not a lot. My digestion issues have been ongoing for quite some times and through many many trial and errors, I have it darn near perfect right now and it's with lots of added fiber and psyllium husks. For the past month, I have felt better than I have my entire adult life.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 01:28

Plan: paleodiet
Stats: 70/70/70 Male 190
BF:
Progress:

I'd like to read this book. Can anyone contact me by a message ti tell me where can I find it?

thanks!!!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 02:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Find this .pdf summary on their website by that name
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/Perfec...r_Companion.pdf

The book is also on Amazon, pb or kindle.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-20-12 at 04:11.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 07:27
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
I just found this source on autophagy, in case anyone's interested:

Protein Cycling Diet

Ubizmo

Knol is now defunct and it redirects to a worthless page. The Protein Cycling Diet book has been moved here: The Protein Cycling Diet

You have to access each chapter from the main pages. The other links still refer to knol.

I've tried my own ketogenic version. Instead of starch, I ate veggies cooked in butter and salad on the low protein days. It filled me up but I still felt like something was missing. I think it's actually easier to just fast.

A ketogenic diet will induce chaperon mediated autophagy but protein restriction is needed for macroautophagy and microautophagy. It reduces risk of neurodegenerative diseases. The book is an interesting read.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 08:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I think a lot of us agree that our metabolisms are "broken" and lowering carbs is a way of healing.

But what if we do heal our metabolisms? Would we then be more amenable to the kinds of suggestions the PHD makes?

For instance, as I have gotten more Paleo, I've cut out all grains and cut way down on the seed oils and the Splenda, a process still ongoing. I continue on this way because it helps me lose still more weight and feel even better; even though my carbs have gone up.

Perhaps it's the loss of inflammatory ingredients in what I eat now. Perhaps I was too good at digesting those artificial sweeteners, and my carbs haven't actually gone up. Now, they are simply coming from more natural sources.

I'm simply saying how this diet could work so well for people who don't have metabolic challenges. Switching from the SAD to the PHD when you don't have issues with weight? Might look like a miracle.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 10:00

Plan: paleodiet
Stats: 70/70/70 Male 190
BF:
Progress:

Anyone can send a pdf of book?

Please I need to read it...
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 10:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Jaminets are exceedingly generous with their information and recommendations right on the website. The Diet foods are here:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

The recommended supplements, including brands and dosages are under that topic in the right bar. You can search the site by a specific disease or condition, like the hypothyroidism under discussion, and by specific foods and their uses. The .pdf I linked previously has a good one page summary, which can be expanded upon with a few clicks at their website.

The book is for sale now, though they have just announced a deal for a new revised edition with Scribner's, so you might wait for that.