Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:24

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I scanned this thread, then I went and read Gary Taubes' blog. This sentence, about reading comments, jumped out at me.
Quote:
I will be reading all of them (up to the point, at least, that they degenerate into arguments between two or three particularly vociferous and contentious individuals)...
It seems to apply to this thread.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:26

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Oh now, where is the appeal to ignorance? The Bellevue experiment is not absence of evidence, it's evidence. You (HappyLC), on the other hand, argue hypothetically and expect me to acknowledge those hypothetical musings as though they were fact. What kind of logical fallacy is that then?
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I scanned this thread, then I went and read Gary Taubes' blog. This sentence, about reading comments, jumped out at me.
It seems to apply to this thread.

I must concur.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:51

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
You disagreed, it's your job now to support your disagreement. As far as I can see, you didn't do that. We can go like this all day, if you want.

The problem, as I see it, is this: You made a claim, namely that the Bellevue experiment shows that people can live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet, and that this shows that plants are not food.

I and others disagree with this claim. Specifically, we disagree that the Bellevue experiment shows this. But you seem to think that this means that we are arguing that people cannot live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet. I won't speak for anyone else, but that's not what I have asserted. I have no idea whether people can live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet. I'm making a logical point. The Bellevue experiment didn't show what you say it shows. Maybe something else shows it, but the Bellevue experiment doesn't. I think it's important to recognize what that experiment shows, and what it doesn't show. I agree with you that it's important.

I refuse to be drawn into making the same arguments over and over, or being asked to support points that I never asserted. I've said what I have to say, and will move on.

Ubizmo
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 18:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
The problem, as I see it, is this: You made a claim, namely that the Bellevue experiment shows that people can live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet, and that this shows that plants are not food.

I and others disagree with this claim. Specifically, we disagree that the Bellevue experiment shows this. But you seem to think that this means that we are arguing that people cannot live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet. I won't speak for anyone else, but that's not what I have asserted. I have no idea whether people can live in perfect health indefinitely on an all-meat diet. I'm making a logical point. The Bellevue experiment didn't show what you say it shows. Maybe something else shows it, but the Bellevue experiment doesn't. I think it's important to recognize what that experiment shows, and what it doesn't show. I agree with you that it's important.

I refuse to be drawn into making the same arguments over and over, or being asked to support points that I never asserted. I've said what I have to say, and will move on.

Ubizmo

And I'll tell you what I tell many people who go on and on: It's not that I don't understand what you said, it's that I disagree. The Bellevue experiment is evidence. How you interpret it is up to you. But your interpretation does not make my interpretation any less valid. I must admit that the bit about plants not being food because of the Bellevue experiment was shaky at best. Yet when taken with other experiments, it becomes much more solid.

To reassure you, you don't have to make the same arguments over and over on my account. I understood the first time.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 18:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Martin, what you keep missing is that all the Bellevue experiment proved is that one man can stay perfectly healthy (and another man stay fairly healthy) for 12 months eating zero carb. To extrapolate anything further is just guesswork.

But I know we've told you that before.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 19:07

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Exactly. I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand about that. Making sweeping generalizations and extrapolation about a single experiment is what bad scientists do, and is what Gary Taubes complains about. It's bad science. Period. Maybe you can go your whole life without eating any carbs with no ill effect. And maybe you can't without suffering from some deficiency. It has simply not be proven either way. All the Bellevue experiment showed, was that it was okay for at least one year.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 19:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I will not get drawn into this. I will not get drawn into this.

Aw, heck.

You can't live on nothing but fat. Does this make fat "not food"? If a plant diet needs to be supplemented with meat (or at the very least vitamin b12, etc.) does this mean that plants are not food? Is there enough animal flesh to keep all the people on this planet alive? I'm not making a vegan argument here, just one of practicality. If people would starve to death if they didn't eat it, even if it isn't the ideal nutrition, it's food, plain and simple.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 19:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I will not get drawn into this. I will not get drawn into this.

Aw, heck.

You can't live on nothing but fat. Does this make fat "not food"? If a plant diet needs to be supplemented with meat (or at the very least vitamin b12, etc.) does this mean that plants are not food? Is there enough animal flesh to keep all the people on this planet alive? I'm not making a vegan argument here, just one of practicality. If people would starve to death if they didn't eat it, even if it isn't the ideal nutrition, it's food, plain and simple.

It's easy to forget that the blog author tried to make the point that the Inuit sought plants for food, not just anything for food. The debate is between an all-meat diet, or a mixed diet. She argues the Inuit ate a mixed diet. There's no doubt about that. She further argues the Inuit sought plants for nourishment. There she fails. The best should could do was show that the Inuit ate some plants for pleasure or medicine.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 19:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Martin, what you keep missing is that all the Bellevue experiment proved is that one man can stay perfectly healthy (and another man stay fairly healthy) for 12 months eating zero carb. To extrapolate anything further is just guesswork.

But I know we've told you that before.

And what everybody else keeps missing is that the Bellevue experiment is just one piece of evidence. When all evidence is taken together, like the Ancel Keys semi-starvation experiment and the Biosphere 2 project for example, my point is well made. But I know I've said that before, haven't I.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 19:57

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

How does the Ancel keys semi-starvation experiment and Biosphere 2 project apply here
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 20:00
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
How does the Ancel keys semi-starvation experiment and Biosphere 2 project apply here

It doesn't.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 20:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Exactly. I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand about that. Making sweeping generalizations and extrapolation about a single experiment is what bad scientists do, and is what Gary Taubes complains about. It's bad science. Period. Maybe you can go your whole life without eating any carbs with no ill effect. And maybe you can't without suffering from some deficiency. It has simply not be proven either way. All the Bellevue experiment showed, was that it was okay for at least one year.

As I understand it, the Bellevue experiment was intended to answer questions about the outrageous claims of an all-meat diet at the time. Dire consequences were predicted. None came true. Now all you are arguing is subtleties. As if subtly was how deficiencies developed. They don't. A deficiency develops quickly and obviously. If it takes a long time today for a deficiency to develop, it's because of all the supplementation we do before we even buy the foods we eat, not because that's how it normally develops. Remove all that fortifying and you'll see just how serious the problem of deficiencies really was back then. At the time, there was much less fortifying of key foods than there is now. Consequently, the deficiencies that did develop did so very quickly and obviously. Accordingly, since there was no deficiency to declare in the Bellevue experiment, it is wholly reasonable to conclude that such a diet will not cause any deficiency whatsoever.

What you should have said was, all the Bellevue experiment showed was that all the obvious deficiencies of the time do not develop on such a diet.

I challenge anyone to name one deficiency that an all-meat diet can cause. Vitamin C? No. Vitamin B12? No. Protein? Pfah. Fat? Re-pfah. Calcium? Maybe, but there's other evidence that refutes that.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 20:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
It doesn't.

How does it not? The blog author tried to show that plants was food for the Inuit. The two experiments, along with the Bellevue experiment, show that plants aren't actually food for humans. Otherwise, we wouldn't have emaciation and neurosis in neither experiment, nor would we have a lack of emaciation and neurosis in the Bellevue experiment.

Before you argue that the Ancel Keys semi-starvation experiment was caloric restricted but the Bellevue experiment was not, I'll point out that the Biosphere 2 project was ad libitum with supplementation yet resulted in the same emaciation and neurosis albeit to a lesser degree than the Keys experiment. I think that kind of comparison was one thing Taubes wanted us to keep in mind?
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 20:20
Forum Moderator

BF:

The blog author did show that plants were food for the Inuit. Didn't even try to show that plants were the only food, but were most definitely eaten by them.

But wait.... why am I arguing with Martin? I'm leaving now, so don't bother with further drawn out nonsense replies, mate.