Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 13:44

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 307/297/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I originally saw this guy being interviewed. I think he is doing much harm to some folks spousing this, and basically calories in, calories out, and you can eat this high-carb, high fructose corn syrup crap.

He does not address those with insulin resistance and those of us with diabetes. His diet would potentially make these folks sicker.

He looked, to me at least, not obese, reasonably young, and probably not with a lot of preexisting medical conditions, so he could handle those concentrated carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 13:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm surprised it's surprising. How many of us know young men who eat totally like crap yet seem thin and healthy? And they probably are. 20 years from now is another story.

PJ
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 14:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Gma

GMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmountai
I originally saw this guy being interviewed. I think he is doing much harm to some folks spousing this, and basically calories in, calories out, and you can eat this high-carb, high fructose corn syrup crap.

He does not address those with insulin resistance and those of us with diabetes. His diet would potentially make these folks sicker.

He looked, to me at least, not obese, reasonably young, and probably not with a lot of preexisting medical conditions, so he could handle those concentrated carbs.
I saw this report again on the ABC News morning show -- The anchors were all chuckling: "Just goes to show it's all about calories!" We told you so

Well, I don't doubt I could lose weight, probably muscle, eating with an 800 calorie/day deficit for several months -- what does that prove? The local news here reported he als ate lots of veggies and "protein shakes" too. I just can't believe his triglycerides dropped. Don't carbs make those go up?

Anyway I agree it sends out a timely, but very bad message for most people in America struggling with a weight problem. Ironicly, if he had done it on Atkins it wouldn't even be news
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 15:10

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I want to know what he ate before (since he was overweight) that calorie restriction with Twinkies was an improvement.

Also, I left a comment on the CNN article and I guess I crossed the line by calling them out on the classism in the article (the whole food desert thing was so offensive to me). Or was it when I asked if Haub was a special snowflake or what? lol

F
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 15:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

To be fair, he did start out at 33 percent body fat, it doesn't really sound like his metabolism was all that young and resilient.

Carbs only raise your triglycerides in the absence of weightloss. So if you can eat carbs without gaining weight, they might not go up. (Plus his carbohydrate intake probably actually dropped during the diet.)
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 15:33
Every moment is NOW.

I used to eat so many carbs, in the era not long before I went LC when I was working 100++ hrs/wk, that my health and weight would have been greatly improved by living on twinkies instead for awhile. My limit on little debbie bars, while not too conservative, is a lot lower than my limit on taco bell and pizza.

PJ
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-10, 20:25

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
To be fair, he did start out at 33 percent body fat, it doesn't really sound like his metabolism was all that young and resilient.

Carbs only raise your triglycerides in the absence of weightloss. So if you can eat carbs without gaining weight, they might not go up. (Plus his carbohydrate intake probably actually dropped during the diet.)

This only means that once he's reached homeostasis where his intake equals his output and his weight was stable, he'd go back to high trigs.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 12:17

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Just for kicks I checked out the nutritional content of some of the foods on his Twinkie diet. I checked out Twinkies, Little Debbie cupcakes, and Doritos. For an average you get about 60% carbs. His previous "healthy" diet of whole grains, fiber, bananas, berries, and the occasional pizza was probably right around there, if not higher. It's only a guess, but I'd assume his fat and protein intake was very similar on both diets also. I think it's hilarious that his junk food diet and his "healthy" diet would have just about the same macro nutrient breakdown.

Sure, I suppose a person could be reasonably healthy on such a diet, if a person was willing to semi-starve themselves. I don't know many people that would willingly do that, though. I'll just keep eating my fatty meat and eat as much as I damn well please, thank you.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 12:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
This only means that once he's reached homeostasis where his intake equals his output and his weight was stable, he'd go back to high trigs.

Yup. I bought a book by Robert, son of Nathan, Pritikin last summer. He actually admits this, and advises that underweight people seeking to gain weight should increase the fat in their diet rather than the carbs, in order to avoid the rise in triglycerides (and fall in hdl). He also stressed the importance of exercise, to the same purpose, to keep triglycerides in check on a high carb diet. I have more respect for that guy than Dean "hdl is just garbage trucks" Ornish.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 15:08
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
I checked out Twinkies, Little Debbie cupcakes, and Doritos. For an average you get about 60% carbs. His previous "healthy" diet of whole grains, fiber, bananas, berries, and the occasional pizza was probably right around there, if not higher. It's only a guess, but I'd assume his fat and protein intake was very similar on both diets also. I think it's hilarious that his junk food diet and his "healthy" diet would have just about the same macro nutrient breakdown.

That does kinda go toward the point that the standard recommended 'healthy' diet is lousy, I suppose.

PJ
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 17:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

We must bear in mind that when we cut calories on a high carb diet, we ultimately cut carbs as well. So, his experiment does not prove his point. Rather, it does not prove only his point. In other words, we can't conclude anything definitive from it.

Doing further math gives us really wild figures for carb intake. If his diet was 60% carbs, 1800 kcals gives us 1080 kcals of carbs, or 270g. His previous diet must have been truly full of carbs (or induce severe insulin resistance, or both) in order for him to lose weight on such a high carb diet. It would explain how creating a 800 kcals deficit at the onset ultimately produces an increase in Eout of about double the deficit.

Or put another way, an increase of Ein of 800 kcals from 1800 kcals to 2600 kcals gives us a reduction in Eout from 3375 kcals down to 2600 kcals and a subsequent increase in weight of 27 lbs in 10 weeks.

==
So what does the calorie hypothesis say? That the change in weight will be exactly proportional to the difference between Ein and Eout. As pointed out by Patrick with his equation of adding Ein + weight lost to come up with actual Eout.

So what does the carbohydrate hypothesis say? That the change in weight is independent of calories, and that it's entirely possible that an amount X of calories induces a weight gain, or loss, disproportionate to its caloric content. As pointed out be me by establishing onset caloric deficit and compare that to actual weight loss, showing a significant discrepancy between the two that cannot be explained by caloric equations alone.

So what does this experiment agree with, the calorie hypothesis or the carbohydrate hypothesis?

I rest my case.

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, Nov-11-10 at 17:57.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 20:01

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
...In other words, we can't conclude anything definitive from it...I rest my case.
I agree with this.

My guess is that he did not count calories before his experiment. So he took his estimated calorie expanse of 2600 and the fact his weight was stable to conclude that he was eating 2600 kcals before. But instead he was probably nearer to 3100 kcals of intake before his experiment.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 20:12

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

To curb calories, he avoided MEAT, whole grains and fruits.

Once he started adding MEAT into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.

duh
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 20:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

http://20potatoesaday.com/index.html

Quote:
Chris Voigt, the Washington State Potato Commission director who’s embarking on an all-potato diet, is nearing the end of his 60-day goal of eating nothing but 20 potatoes a day. On his blog, he notes that his total cholesterol and blood glucose levels have declined, and he expects his blood pressure won’t change by his Nov. 29 end date.

Perhaps his most stunning claim, however, is that he’s gotten used to his monotonous diet. “You know...I really think this is getting easier,” he writes after a morning of eating nothing but six boiled, plain potatoes. “I’m not having the intense cravings for other foods that I use to have.”

Like I said before. Eating only beef or eating only potatoes works just fine. It's the monotony that makes it work.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 22:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I could polish off several potatoes for breke -- provided they were browned in pure Duck Fat

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_g...dtextbin=Rougie