Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 09:10

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default William Li: Can we eat to starve cancer?

Quote:
William Li presents a new way to think about treating cancer and other diseases: anti-angiogenesis, preventing the growth of blood vessels that feed a tumor. The crucial first (and best) step: Eating cancer-fighting foods that cut off the supply lines and beat cancer at its own game.

http://www.ted.com/talks/william_li.html

The whole presentation is interesting, but be sure to watch till the end, when he starts applying his theory to obesity. (16:44)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 10:14

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:

Interesting. I'd heard of the anti-angiogenesis theory applied to cancer, but I didn't realize fat tissue generated the same sorts of blood vessels.

He talks about the need to eat the anti-angiogenetic (?) foods before the cancer develops. Possibly the same applies with obesity? Assuming it works at all, maybe you have to start before you get fat.

Interesting how the obese rat was slimmed down by the anti-angiogenetic cancer treatment - but never below a normal weight.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 12:22

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Interesting. I'd heard of the anti-angiogenesis theory applied to cancer, but I didn't realize fat tissue generated the same sorts of blood vessels.

He talks about the need to eat the anti-angiogenetic (?) foods before the cancer develops. Possibly the same applies with obesity? Assuming it works at all, maybe you have to start before you get fat.

Interesting how the obese rat was slimmed down by the anti-angiogenetic cancer treatment - but never below a normal weight.

Since the graphic showed the obese rat being slimmed down several times and allowed to become obese again, I'm guessing the treatment works after the subject gets fat.

Also, I don't think he said that anti-angiogenic treatment would not work after a cancer is established - he showed several cures for animals with advanced cancers - but he pointed out that it didn't always work and that preferentially the treatment should be applied before a cancer can even grow beyond the microscopic, harmless phase.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 13:56

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
http://www.ted.com/talks/william_li.html

The whole presentation is interesting, but be sure to watch till the end, when he starts applying his theory to obesity. (16:44)

I have heard of this before but this is the most non-science type presentation I've heard or read.

Did anybody get a screen grab of the antiangiogenesis food list BTW?

How does it correlate to LC foods?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Natural health products that inhibit angiogenesis Part 1

Natural health products that inhibit angiogenesis: a potential source for investigational new agents to treat cancer—Part 2

couple of free full text papers that may be of interest.

Interesting to see Curcumin (turmeric) is inhibits angiogenesis and this isn't surprising as we know it activates the vitamin D receptor and Vitamin D also is anti-angiogenic so it's not surprising that Vitamin E (that also can activate VDR) is also Anti-angiogenic

I really don't know why Green Tea isn't the drink of choice for most people.
So long as you don't boil the water (of allow it to cool before brewing if you do) so it's OFF THE BOIL Details here and keep the brew time short. 30 seconds to at most 2 mins. then take the leaves (or bags if you must) out of the water (use a strainer) Remember you can get several mugs of tea from each bag/teaspoon of leaves. I generally use the same leaves all day, just by rebrewing with fresh water.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Since the graphic showed the obese rat being slimmed down several times and allowed to become obese again, I'm guessing the treatment works after the subject gets fat.

My understanding was that the rats were treated with a drug, not with food. I was wondering about the use of food as treatment or preventive.

Quote:
Also, I don't think he said that anti-angiogenic treatment would not work after a cancer is established - he showed several cures for animals with advanced cancers - but he pointed out that it didn't always work and that preferentially the treatment should be applied before a cancer can even grow beyond the microscopic, harmless phase.

Again I was talking about food. My recollection was that all of the dramatic animal stories involved treatment with anti-cancer drugs. Then he transitioned to the idea of preventing cancer with an anti-angiogenic diet, so that those tiny cancers that many of us are walking around with all unawares don't grow into a disease state.

He certainly isn't suggesting that we treat full-blown cancer with food alone or that we give anti-cancer drugs to people without diagnosed cancer. He's proposing that we might prevent, not treat, with food.

By analogy, I'm obese already. I have the equivalent of full-blown the cancer, not the tiny potential cancer. Even if the drug could reduce my weight, that doesn't mean that eating the anti-angiogenic foods would be sufficient to do so.

It seems that if we apply the analogy of cancer prevention, the food may or may not be useful in preventing obesity, but I'm sceptical that I'll grow thinner if I start eating lots of tomato sauce and strawberries. I've already reached the "disease" state; too late for prevention.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:19

Quote:
Interesting to see Curcumin (turmeric) is inhibits angiogenesis and this isn't surprising as we know it activates the vitamin D receptor and Vitamin D also is anti-angiogenic so it's not surprising that Vitamin E (that also can activate VDR) is also Anti-angiogenic

very interesting, I've been meaning to get some curcumin supplements to help with inflammation... do you think that VitD and curcumin would be synergistic if taken together at the same time of day?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I really don't know why Green Tea isn't the drink of choice for most people.

I don't like tea?

Periodically I get onto a kick where I try to take up tea drinking. I drink it for a while, go back to my coffee, then find the old tea at the back of the cupboard a couple years later and throw it out.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

#10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
very interesting, I've been meaning to get some curcumin supplements to help with inflammation... do you think that VitD and curcumin would be synergistic if taken together at the same time of day?
I think they are synergistic but as vitamin D is fat soluble and curcumin isn't I doubt it makes much difference if they are taken together or separately. I take mine together with my breakfast which as it's usually fried in coconut oil has a high fat content but that's mainly to ensure the vitamin D is absorbed.

I've been using these

Although at first I thought that having a high 25(OH)D is was possibly a waste of money for me to also be taking curcumin at the same time.
I've since discovered that in Alzheimer's different gene groups respond differently to either curcumin and/or vitamin D. This could be the same for other inflammatory conditions. Therefore by taking both you cover your options if you one of those whose genes respond more to curcumin than vitamin D.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:52
Registered Member

BF:

Here's another screengrab. Sorry about image quality.

Interesting to see Glucosamine listed in between Turmeric (Curcumin) and Green Tea. Those people taking it to help their arthritis may also be reducing their cancer risks.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:52

great, thanks for explaining that. I'll go ahead and get it then.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Here's another screengrab.

interesting that the soy extract seems to be the lowest dietary factor to have this antiangiogenesis effect. That is, if I'm reading the graph correctly. It seems that women gag down enough soy products as some kind of talisman against breast cancer to choke an elephant...according to this it's the least effective.

But then half way up under grapes does it say that soy is measured again? Soy what? beans? or tofu or whatever?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-10, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Leptin Diet
Stats: 160/118/108 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'd like to consume more turmeric but can't figure out how to do that aside from eating lots of curry. Any ideas? Or lost cause?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-10, 07:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight!
I'd like to consume more turmeric but can't figure out how to do that aside from eating lots of curry. Any ideas? Or lost cause?

Here you go:

Turmeric supplements