Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 05:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default 11 year old daughters new test results with new integrative dr.

I havent been areound in a while and have finally taken my daughter to a doctor in our area who practices integrative medicine. He tested her EVERYTHING and here are her thyroid results. I wont list everything he tested because it was very extensive but will just say that her cortisol, insulin and leptin are all out of whack and we are taking care of that.
Her tsh 6.27 which i was surprised was that high as she is on synthroid
free t4 1 (.93-1.6)
triiodothyronine free 3.2 (2.3-5)
tpo ab <6 (0-20)
antithyroglobulin ab <20 (0-40)

I am confused about the free t3 and what is good for that number. He increased her synthroid to 100 mcg but didnt feel like she needed to change to armour. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 08:05

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Free T3 should be in the upper 2/3 of range and free T4 about midway. Is she on Armour and Synthroid? Ususally it's the Synthroid/Cytomel (t3) protocol or Armour or for those with RT3 problems Cytomel alone.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 08:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Since she doesn't seem to have Hashi's antibodies (if I'm reading that correctly) could she be lacking iodine?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-10, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Has your daughter been tested for celiac? That's my first thought because she's so young to have a thyroid problem alone.

Her body is screaming that its still not happy even with synthroid, it seems like her T4 is good but her T3 is not getting there on synthroid alone.

I believe the best antibody test is most informative when done before you start on thyroid medication, since the medication should be suppressing the protein you make antibodies to.

Does your daughter have any symptoms? Did they improve on synthroid?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 09:48

BF:

She has had celiac testing because that was a concern too but she was negative. I think it was 0 or 1 but the Dr. did say you may not suffer a full blown reaction but any reaction is reason to cut out the culprits so she is to eat no grains and nothing but grass fed beef and hormone/antibiotic free chicken. As for the antibodies, when she was tested originally years ago and was on no meds she did have antibodies so she was diagnosed with Hashi's. The antibodies have come down quite a bit. I think they were in the 60's then. She is currently only on 100 mcg of synthroid and several other vitamins but that is the only one for thyroid. We are going back in 2 months to have everything tested again to see where we are. He has given her a very restrictive low/good carb diet to follow but it is hard to find veggies that she will eat. She is 11 after all and wants to eat a bigger variety of food but she has done well so far. I am going to ask him about trying cytomel to see what happens with that. Thanks for the responses!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 05:53

BF:

Another thing I would like to mention and one that has me coming back to this board. The Dr. has put her on a very restrictive diet and I am having trouble knowing what to feed her! He wants us to follow the Rosedale diet but she just isnt willing to eat fish all the time. She has been doing a low carb atkins style diet with me but she has been having fruit and nuts too. There arent many veggies that she likes and she has been having lots of salads and we have completely cut out all white stuff but I am wondering if there is one particular diet that would be good for her and still meet all the other guidelines he has given us. No milk unless it is almond milk, I didnt ask about cheeses but she has been eating that, no grains, lots of good fats, no sat fat, no legumes, lots of vitamins, I am so confused some days!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 08:04
Experimenter

BF:

Your doctor sounds like a winner, IMHO. I'm betting he wouldn't want her eating cheese. She is on a paleo diet from the sound of it. You might want to google on Paleo diet and see what people are eating.

Just keep re-exposing your daughter to veggies. It takes a long time before kids accept them, if they haven't been exposed all along.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 10:13

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster66
Another thing I would like to mention and one that has me coming back to this board. The Dr. has put her on a very restrictive diet and I am having trouble knowing what to feed her! He wants us to follow the Rosedale diet but she just isnt willing to eat fish all the time. She has been doing a low carb atkins style diet with me but she has been having fruit and nuts too. There arent many veggies that she likes and she has been having lots of salads and we have completely cut out all white stuff but I am wondering if there is one particular diet that would be good for her and still meet all the other guidelines he has given us. No milk unless it is almond milk, I didnt ask about cheeses but she has been eating that, no grains, lots of good fats, no sat fat, no legumes, lots of vitamins, I am so confused some days!!!

what about the specific carbohydrate diet? this is from the it's adaptable for restrictions like legumes, allows dairy in the form of a long fermented yogurt and hard cheeses but there is no fluid milk permitted. Nuts and fruit are allowed as is almond milk etc.
the diet was originally created for children with chron's so is gluten free, grain free etc. I know of on the celiac boards many who haven't done as well on just gluten free do well on SCD
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 10:16
Experimenter

BF:

IMHO the paleo diet is almost exactly the same as SCD, but with SCD they have you fussing with everything a lot more. Like cooking and peeling fruit before using it and making everything from scratch, including condiments I'd normally buy in a jar or can. SCD also allows dairy, unless there's a specific reason not to include it.

For me eating the SCD diet made me realize I should just go paleo, it was easier.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 19:34

BF:

Well I am glad to know that what she is eating is called something so I can research and know what to offer her! I do agree 100% that the Dr. is a winner. He made a real impression on her too because he explained things that I have tried to explain to her before but you know how kids think their parents know nothing. When he brought up HFCS I almost shouted hallelujah! I have been berating that stuff forever! I will check out the paleo forum and look for some ideas. We are having family over tomorrow so I am making all the food and it will all be things she can eat too so she wont feel left out. Thanks everyone!!