Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-10, 01:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.4/175.8/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Skillet Enchiladas

Sauce(s)
*3-4 dried Ancho chiles
*2 dried Guajillo chiles (optional)
*2-3 dried chile de arbol (optional for heat)
*1-2 garlic teeth (optional)
*Salt -or- Goya Adobo seasoning
*Water or Chicken broth
(pictures of all chiles at the bottom, you can find most of them these days in a Walmart "Mexican Isle" or for sure in your local Mexican shop.)

The Rest
*Shredded Chicken
*Queso Fresco (or a cheese of your choice)
*Diced Jalepeno ( optional or you can take out the seeds and white skin inside if you don't like it hot)
*Diced onion
*Minced Cilantro (optional but so good!)

The most simple sauce for this is 3-4 dried Ancho chiles - stem and seeds removed and boiled in water (it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get them rehydrated) then pureed using hot water or chicken broth, plus salt. That's the base and can be used alone OR if you like the flavors and have the carbs to spare really jazz it up.

To jazz it up - boil along with the Anchos 2 dried Guajillo chiles (stem and seeds removed) -AND/OR- 2-3 Chile de arbol for tasty heat. Also boil the garlic along with your chiles. After 15-20 minutes of boiling take them out and puree with either hot water or chicken broth along with your seasoning. I don't have exact measurments becuse it all depends on the amount of chiles you use. Start off using just enough liquid to get your blender moving and add more until it's not runny but not thick. If it turns out too runny no worries, just simmer it down in your pan till it's thicker.

Pour the sauce in a skillet and on med. heat add your shredded chicken (I buy a deli rotisserie chicken or use leftovers to save time) and your diced onion and jalepeno. Let simmer till the onions are done to your satisfaction and add in the cilantro and queso fresco during the last minute. If you prefer you can top the plated meal with the cilantro and cheese instead of adding it to the pan. I've never used a stretchy type cheese - cheddar, jack or what have you and imagine it might go better on top.

Guajillo Chiles In The Bag

Guajillo Chiles

Chile De Arbol

Ancho Chile

I was missing Enchiladas and wanted to make a way to have them for me AND my husband so the skillet option works perfect (and takes a lot less time!) I eat mine strait off the plate with a side of avocado and for him, I heat up tortillas so he can spoon it up. Everybody's happy!

(P.s. the sauces all freeze REALLY well if you want to make a big batch for a speedy meal later on!)

Last edited by lindystar : Fri, Jul-09-10 at 01:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-10, 12:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

This really sounds good, Lindy. Just printed it out to try soon. I'm in Texas and really appreciate good Mexican food. And the ingredients you list are usually readily available.

You've been posting some really good stuff lately. Thanks a bunch.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 07:08

BF:

Buttoni - Oh I hope you do try it - and like it! And thank you for the feedback on the chiles - I wasn't sure if people were "getting" them or not.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 19:42
Patience Personified

Just wanted to tell you I went out and bought some Guajillo peppers so I could try this dish. But managed to forget the ancho peppers! So I've got to wait a bit longer to try this. But I'm definitely gonna try it!

Have you ever done it with beef rather than chicken? If so, did you use ground, cubed or shredded stewed beef?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 01:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Just wanted to tell you I went out and bought some Guajillo peppers so I could try this dish. But managed to forget the ancho peppers! So I've got to wait a bit longer to try this. But I'm definitely gonna try it!

Have you ever done it with beef rather than chicken? If so, did you use ground, cubed or shredded stewed beef?

Buttoni - You can use ANY kind of meat you like and it'll be great. Pork, chicken, beef, lamb ect... and any cut - although, the more shredded the cut (as opposed to cubed) the more flavor coverage you'll get in each bite. Lol I think that makes sense?

Btw it's sooo cool that you bought the peppers!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 08:31
Patience Personified

Made this last night and it was REALLY good. Thanks again for adding this recipe that will make the "regulars" I do often.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 03:25

BF:

Quote:
Made this last night and it was REALLY good. Thanks again for adding this recipe that will make the "regulars" I do often.

You really for really did it!! YYAAYY!!! That's so exciting! And lol such a relief that my instructions made sense and you liked the flavor! Real enchilada sauce isn't like canned!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 15:07
Patience Personified

This is the first time I've used Guajillo chiles in anything. I use ancho and arbol all the time, but never the Guajillos. I like that flavor, and they're not hot at all if you seed them. They'll make a great addition to my traditional chile recipe. So I got an education here on chiles as well. Thanks Lindy!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 02:05

BF:

Quote:
This is the first time I've used Guajillo chiles in anything. I use ancho and arbol all the time, but never the Guajillos. I like that flavor, and they're not hot at all if you seed them. They'll make a great addition to my traditional chile recipe. So I got an education here on chiles as well. Thanks Lindy!

That is SO awesome! And you know, I haven't had Chili in YEARS - but it would be really low carb friendly! Hmmmmm .... must buy beef!