Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default What if Vitamin D Deficiency is a Cause of Autism?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192774.php

Quote:
Very recently, Dr. Darryl Eyles, of the University of Queensland, added his name to growing list of scientists who agree that vitamin D deficiency plays an important role in autism. (3) Writing in Acta Paediatrica, arguably the most read pediatric journal in the world, Dr. Eyles praised the vitamin D theory of autism as being "parsimonious," with the animal studies he has conducted over the last decade.

For the last 15 years, geneticists have tried and failed to find a common structural genetic abnormality in autism. What they have found is evidence of genetic damage; the genetic code is not properly regulated in autism, with multiple genes not being expressed, probably due to an environmental injury. As Dr. Kinney reports, vitamin D's mechanism of action is protection of the genome with direct regulation more than 1,000 human genes.

If the gestational and early childhood vitamin D deficiency theory of autism is true, the tragedy is more poignant in that physicians could prevent the disease with adequate daily doses of vitamin D during pregnancy and early childhood. Just as important, vitamin D's mechanism of action implies a treatment effect in autistic children.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Another article on similar story
Is Scientific American Right About Autism?

Quote:
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif., June 23 — /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A Scientific American article asks, "What if Vitamin D Deficiency is a Cause of Autism?" (1) How could vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy cause autism, a genetic disease? Indeed, five researchers at Harvard, led by Dr. Dennis Kinney, recently endorsed and then modified the vitamin D theory of autism.(2)
Very recently, Dr. Darryl Eyles, of the University of Queensland, added his name to growing list of scientists who agree that vitamin D deficiency plays an important role in autism. (3) Writing in Acta Paediatrica, arguably the most read pediatric journal in the world, Dr. Eyles praised the vitamin D theory of autism as being "parsimonious," with the animal studies he has conducted over the last decade.
For the last 15 years, geneticists have tried and failed to find a common structural genetic abnormality in autism. What they have found is evidence of genetic damage; the genetic code is not properly regulated in autism, with multiple genes not being expressed, probably due to an environmental injury. As Dr. Kinney reports, vitamin D's mechanism of action is protection of the genome with direct regulation more than 1,000 human genes.
If the gestational and early childhood vitamin D deficiency theory of autism is true, the tragedy is more poignant in that physicians could prevent the disease with adequate daily doses of vitamin D during pregnancy and early childhood. Just as important, vitamin D's mechanism of action implies a treatment effect in autistic children.
This month, Acta Paediatrica, published yet another article on vitamin D and autism. This paper is open access; the pdf is free to download.(4) In the paper, Dr. Cannell reviews the evidence of vitamin D's involvement in autism, including evidence published after his original 2007 paper.(5)

If you are interested in the detail here is a detailed reply by Dr Cannell of the Vitamin D Council. Worth a read if you've time.
On the aetiology of autism
John J Cannell (jcannell~ash.dmh.ca.gov; jjcannell~vitamindcouncil.org)

Finally, if true, a darker side of the theory emerges. To some real but unknown extent, autism is an iatrogenic disease, caused by governments, organizations, committees, newspapers and physicians who promulgated the current warnings about sun-exposure for pregnant women and young children without any understanding of the tragedy they engendered.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sat, Jun-26-10 at 12:59.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:

Reduced serum levels of 25-hydroxy and 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D in Egyptian children with autism.
Quote:
OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to investigate the potential role of vitamin D in autism through serum level assessment.
DESIGN: This was a case-controlled cross-sectional study.
SETTING:
The study was conducted at the Out-patient Clinic for "Children with Special Needs" at the Medical Services Unit of the National Research Centre in Cairo, Egypt.
SUBJECTS:
Seventy (70) children with autism diagnosed according to the DSM-IV criteria of the American Psychiatric Association were recruited for this study.
The mean age +/- standard deviation (SD) of the patients was 5.3 +/- 2.8 years.
Controls included 42 age-matched randomly selected healthy children of the same socioeconomic status (mean age +/- SD, 6.1 +/- 1.8 years).
METHODS: Circulating levels of both forms of vitamin D (25(OH)D and 1,25(OH)(2)D) and serum calcium were measured for all subjects. Associations between vitamin D status, birth season, and clinical characteristics of autism were examined.
RESULTS:
Children with autism had significantly lower 25(OH)D (p < 0.00001) and 1,25(OH)(2)D (p < 0.005) as well as lower calcium (p < 0.0001) serum values than the controls.
A significant positive correlation was obtained between 25(OH)D and calcium (correlation coefficient r = 0.309, p < 0.01) within the children with autism.
No significant difference was found on comparison of birth month and season of birth between children with autism and healthy controls. (bear in mind this is Egypt and seasonal differences would not be as great as further from the Equator)
Furthermore, associations linking parental consanguinity or convulsions with vitamin D could not be established.
CONCLUSIONS:
Serum values of 25(OH)D in the children with autism of this study could classify them as being "vitamin D inadequate," which lends support to the hypothesis that autism is a vitamin D deficiency disorder.

At vitamin D levels above 32ng/ml 80nmol/l human bodies absorb more calcium from food and water .
Having raised 25(OH)D levels above 32 (ideally to around 60ng/ml) with 1000iu/daily/D3 for each 25lbs weight, (100iu/Daily/D3 per 2.5lbs weight) it should not be necessary to use a calcium supplement. Calcium supplements can do more harm than good.
Vitamin D works in conjunction with magnesium and vitamin K2 as well as other cofactors. see The Vitamin D Council cofactors
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 20:01

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My understanding of autism is of it being a life-long condition, a way that you are, for which there isn't presently a "cure" in the sense like curing an infection or cancer or something you can get rid of from the body. Vitamin D deficiency may be a contributor to developing the condition. Genetics and other things may also contribute. What I am wondering is, after a person already has autism, what effect might correcting their vitamin D deficiency have on unwanted autistic symptoms? Again I don't expect a total "cure" and recognize that some high-fuctioning Asperger's type people don't view their condition as a disability and don't care to be seen as needing to be "fixed," but I just wonder if the damage is already done and it's too late or if improvements can be gained through improved vitamin D status. Any deficiency that's present should of course be corrected regardless for general health whether it helps autism or not.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 20:10
Experimenter

BF:

There have been quite a few parents of autistic kids who have experienced gains when they raise their children's D3 levels. It'll never cure the disease, but it might help. Probably the brain changes happen in utero with a low vit D3 mom, if the theory is correct. But no, I suspect there will never be a cure. You'd have to rebuild someone's brain.

So far it sounds like Autism isn't genetic at all.

Even if it was it doesn't mean it is inevitable. Genetics loads the gun, environment (low D3 in Mom) pulls the trigger.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 10:42
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The Autism issue aside, how can I make sure my 5-year-old is getting enough vitamin D? Is it safe to give her supplements, and if so, how many IU, and do they come in a form that's kid-friendly? My D3 capsules must be swallowed, for example, which isn't going to work for a kiddo.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 10:46
Experimenter

BF:

They make D3 drops too, I believe. Maybe Hutchinson can address the amount.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 11:18
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

http://www.pureformulas.com/biodmul...s-research.html

each drop is 2,000 IU D3

or you can purchase the capsules from https://secure.bio-tech-pharm.com/catalog.aspx?cat_id=2 and mix it into any liquid the child consumes.

A 5 year old 1-2,000 IU/day; definitely 2,000 IU/day during winter months.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 12:57
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
If you are interested in the detail here is a detailed reply by Dr Cannell of the Vitamin D Council. Worth a read if you've time.
On the aetiology of autism
John J Cannell (jcannell~ash.dmh.ca.gov; jjcannell~vitamindcouncil.org)

Finally, if true, a darker side of the theory emerges. To some real but unknown extent, autism is an iatrogenic disease, caused by governments, organizations, committees, newspapers and physicians who promulgated the current warnings about sun-exposure for pregnant women and young children without any understanding of the tragedy they engendered.

Hutchinson, this link is broken. If you go to the Pubmed page for the article here, then click on the Wiley Interscience link in the top right-hand corner, then click PDF, you'll get to it. The Pubmed ID is 20491697.

--Melissa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Hutchinson, this link is broken
Well it still works for me but thanks anyway for the alternative route.

As for dose for children the point about a ratio such as 1000iu/for each 25lbs you weigh suits any age. It's done by actual current weight.
For anyone under 25lbs then use the same ratio.
100iu/daily for each 2.5lbs current weight. then adjust the dose as the child gets heavier.

The half life of D3 in the body once absorbed is about 3 weeks so although daily supplementing is ideal it's virtually impossible, except for pregnant and nursing mothers, where it's important to get a steady even amount every day, to detect any difference in resulting status from daily weekly supplementing so this means if you only have 5000iu capsules in the house and your child is just 50lbs weight so needs according to the 1000iu/per 25lbs formula just 2000iu/daily it would be fine to take 2 x 5000iu over 5 days. If it makes it easier to remember Saturday is vitamin D day you could easily just use 3 x 5000iu = 15000iu once a week and that would only average 2 143iu just a fraction above the formula amount.
The form I think is best are Country Life, Vitamin D3, 5000 IU, 200 Softgels - iHerb.com In these the D3 is carried in MCToil which is very easily absorbed. So either the child could chew the capsule, and spit out the shell (MCT is tasteless but as it's derived from coconut oil it may have a slight coconut hint) or you could just snip the end off capsule and squash the contents onto some food or drink, or mix into icecream or cake/biscuit/cookie recipe, You can heat it or freeze it and it's still ok just don't let the capsules sit in the sunlight as UVA degrades vitamin D.

As D3 is made from UVB acting on cholesterol near the surface of the skin it's absorbed well through the skin so an alternative is to massage the contents of those Country life MCT based capsules into the skin, preferably somewhere covered from further UVA exposure. So if you've got a naughty child who spits out not just the capsule shell but the contents as well just massage the spit into the skin. Providing it's on the skin or in the body it will be absorbed.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 15:16

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Two years ago I got my Vit D tested -- It was 45 units. I was slugging Carlsons Cod liver oil (I think it's 400 units per tspoon) at the time. Sooo, I upgraded to Carlsons 4000units gel tabs and take them when I remember (often 2) I just got tested and my level is a whopping 37. Grrrrrr.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 15:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
I upgraded to Carlsons 4000units gel tabs and take them when I remember (often 2) I just got tested and my level is a whopping 37. Grrrrrr.
Perhaps when you remember isn't often enough. The standard medical dose is 50,000iu so perhaps next time you "remember" to take your vitamin D you took sufficient to cover the days you forgot. It would be fine to take 12 x 4000iu to make up for the fact you forgot every day last week. Then try to remember daily but if you find that a problem try having one special day each week you call your vitamin D-DAY.and take your weeks supply 7 x 4000iu EVERY D-DAY.
Ideally taking Vitamin D with the largest meal of the day that includes some fat will achieve the highest absorption but just add some butter, coconut oil if you are not sure. You'll absorb a fair bit anyway even if you don't take it with a meal so don't let the fact your Intermittent fasting be an excuse for missing your Vitamin D.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 16:26

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

you might want to see if your daughter can swallow pills. my son started at 4 and never had a problem. i know some moms practice with mini m&m's or something similar to work with their kids. but, of course, the drops might be easier.

i've heard people say that someone may have autistic tendencies from gluten or low vitamin d but if they are 'cured', they didn't really have autism. not sure if that's true but it does throw another angle into the mix.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 19:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I give my 1.5 DD a d3 chew-able 400 iu and we don't avoid the sun (when it is not too hot). Is that okay?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 04:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop
I give my 1.5 DD a d3 chew-able 400 iu and we don't avoid the sun (when it is not too hot). Is that okay?
An 18 month old girl weighs 20~30lbs so 1000iu/daily would be better.
A short midday near full body sun would be better than early morning or late afternoon as that is when there is most UVB available. But you would need to watch for the first sign of skin reddening and go indoors or cover up before sunburn occurs.
The calculator here will give a good indication of time required

I'm not terribly happy with chewable vit/mins. They tend to contain sweeteners and I'm not happy about the idea of mixing sweets/vitamins and the potential for kids to decide to help themselves.
I'd be happier with Vitamin D drops 1000iu
If you are organized enough to remember a once every 5 days regime then you could pierce one of these 5000iu and squeeze the contents onto some food/drink every 5th day.
$5 discount code ~~~~~~.