Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 01:44

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default LC diet raises cortisol, lowers testorone, study says

This just came in on a Google alert. For those who have been reading the latest Matt Stone theories, this might be of interest. I wonder though if this is relevant to "normal" low carbers who don't engage in intense exercise...

Click here to the original article, or read it below:

http://www.bloginity.com/fitness-he...exercise/28848/

amanda

Quote:
Low Carb Diet Increases Cortisol, Can Lower Testosterone If You Exercise (italics are mine, amanda)

June 16, 2010 // 11:49 AM // Article by Brian Willett

Every day, it seems as though a new argument in the carbohydrate debate is presented. Well, consider today no diferent. Despite the fact that carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel source, there are many people who believe that humans function better off without them. But this goes far beyond the carbophobic “carbs make you fat” argument. Depriving your body of carbohydrates can put your body into a ketogenic state, in which it does burn fat for energy. Many people see this as a great way to lose fat and the ultimate dieting strategy. Others argue that ketogenic diets can even be used for muscle gain, with little to no unwanted fat gain.

And recently, a study found that limiting carbohydrates can help delay cellular aging by limiting stress on the body and keeping insulin levels under control (1). So it would seem that there are no limits to the advantages of low carb diets. And many low-carb enthusiasts are eager to point out that fat intake can help produce high testosterone levels, great for muscle gain and fat loss. But a new study suggests that weight training while on a low-carb diet can actually be devastating to hormone levels.

While the body can burn fat for fuel, this isn’t its natural state – it’s an adaptation. Unfortunately, there are some side effects and by-products involved in this process. The biggest concern for those looking to improve their physiques was revealed in a study by researchers at the University of North Carolina. The study involved athletes who trained at least five times per week for about an hour each session. This level of intensity is comparable to the kind of training a lot of weight lifting enthusiasts perform.

The researchers split participants into two groups – one that consumed a diet in which 60 percent of the calories came from carbohydrates, and one that consumed a diet in which 30 percent of the calories came from carbohydrates. An analysis of the hormonal levels of both groups revealed an important and, for those looking to improve body composition and performance, disturbing trend. Those in the low carbohydrate group experienced a rapid reduction in testosterone levels, and their testosterone to cortisol ratio decreased as well. The reason for this is that in order to burn fat for energy, the body produces more cortisol to help manufacture cellular energy. Cortisol can increase concentrations of abdominal fat and also suppresses testosterone (2).

So while you may think that weight lifting doesn’t demand a lot of carbohydrates because it’s not as endurance-driven as, say, marathon running, you may want to reconsider. Adequate carbohydrate levels can keep cortisol at bay and testosterone high.

In order to refuel properly after exercise, you may want to pick up a product such as AllMax QuickMass here.

SOURCES:

1. Rosedale, R., Westman, E., and Konhilas, J. Clinical Experience of a Diet Designed to Reduce Aging. Journal of Applied Research, 2009; 9(4): 159-165

2. Lane, AR, Duke, JW, Hackney, AC. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2010; 108(6):1125-1131
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 02:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

However this study did NOT first correct 25(OH)D status. Men with higher 25(OH)D levels have higher testosterone levels and therefore would be better able to deal with cortisol.

The association between vitamin D and inflammation with the 6-minute walk and frailty in patients with heart failure. shows that people with higher 25(OH)D are better able to perform physically and have lower cortisol levels.

This study only tells us what happens in Vitamin D deficient individuals.

Because we all life under the same polluted skies and most consume foods that induce vitamin D insufficiency we must assume that everyone is vitamin D insufficient unless they are taking EFFECTIVE amounts of vitamin D3 supplements.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 06:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training.
Lane AR, Duke JW, Hackney AC.

Endocrine Section, Applied Physiology Laboratory, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA.

Abstract
This study examined the effect of dietary carbohydrate (CHO) consumption on the free testosterone to cortisol (fTC) ratio during a short-term intense micro-cycle of exercise training. The fTC ratio is a proposed biomarker for overreaching-overtraining (i.e., training stress or imbalance) in athletes. The ratio was studied in two groups, control-CHO (approximately 60% of daily intake, n = 12) and low-CHO (approximately 30% of daily intake, n = 8), of male subjects who performed three consecutive days of intensive training (approximately 70-75% maximal oxygen consumption, 60 min per day) with a dietary intervention (on the day before and during training). Resting, pre-exercise blood samples were collected under standardized-controlled conditions before each day of training (Pre 1, 2, 3) and on a fourth day after the micro-cycle (Rest). Bloods were analyzed for free testosterone and cortisol via radioimmunoassay procedures. Subjects performed no additional physical activity other than prescribed training. Statistical analysis (ANCOVA) revealed the fTC ratio decreased significantly (p < 0.01) from pre-study resting measurement (Pre 1) to the final post-study resting measurement (Rest) in the low-CHO group (-43%), but no change occurred (p > 0.05) in the control-CHO group (-3%). Findings suggest if the fTC ratio is utilized as a marker of training stress or imbalance it is necessary for a moderately high diet of CHO to be consumed to maintain validity of any observed changes in the ratio value.

That's the low carb lowers testosterone study. Thirty percent carbs is the low carb.

Quote:
While the body can burn fat for fuel, this isn’t its natural state – it’s an adaptation. Unfortunately, there are some side effects and by-products involved in this process. The biggest concern for those looking to improve their physiques was revealed in a study by researchers at the University of North Carolina. The study involved athletes who trained at least five times per week for about an hour each session. This level of intensity is comparable to the kind of training a lot of weight lifting enthusiasts perform.

Well, yeah, you can compare

Quote:
three consecutive days of intensive training (approximately 70-75% maximal oxygen consumption, 60 min per day)

to weight training if you want. But it isn't weight training. When it's expressed in terms of maximal oxygen consumption, that's endurance. So I'd add "in a certain way" to if you exercise.

There was an article posted a few years ago about sex-hormone binding globulin; free palmitic acid decreased binding of free testosterone in the liver, increasing levels of free testosterone. One way to increase palmitic acid in the liver is to eat carbs, and hope that your liver makes some fat. I'd rather just eat some palmitic acid and cross my fingers. Can't tell from the abstract whether these guys ate any palmitic acid or not.

Thirty-percent carbs might be enough to keep blood free fatty acids low, but not enough to spur much palmitic acid production in the liver, especially if a lot of those carbs are going towards repleting muscle glycogen.

I've seen no evidence on this forum that low-carb is a cure for testosterone-poisoning, at least in men, lol.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 06:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
The researchers split participants into two groups – one that consumed a diet in which 60 percent of the calories came from carbohydrates, and one that consumed a diet in which 30 percent of the calories came from carbohydrates.

30% of 2500 kcals is 750 kcals and this translates to 187g of carbs. I don't know of a single low carb plan with such a high carb count at any stage of the plan. Consequently, they did not test a low carb diet.

Quote:
Despite the fact that carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel source

If that were true, we would be able to store much more than just a couple thousand kcals of carbs at any one time. And storing carbs would be much more efficient than it is now (about 1kcal per gram stored compared to 9 kcals per gram for fat: Remember water-weight?).
Quote:
While the body can burn fat for fuel, this isn’t its natural state – it’s an adaptation.

Certainly, an adaptation to several million years of natural selection. I don't see how "an adaptation to several million years of natural selection" is not considered "a natural state".
Quote:
So while you may think that weight lifting doesn’t demand a lot of carbohydrates because it’s not as endurance-driven as, say, marathon running, you may want to reconsider. Adequate carbohydrate levels can keep cortisol at bay and testosterone high.

That makes no sense. Heavy lifting requires more anaerobic than aerobic capacity, at least that's what the lifting world believes. And anaerobic ATP production can only be done with glucose. And long distance running requires more aerobic capacity which is much more efficient with fat and ketones than with glucose.
Quote:
In order to refuel properly after exercise, you may want to pick up a product such as AllMax QuickMass here.

Now I understand the bullshit.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 06:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

What of the fact that heavy lifting i.e. intense exercise stimulates growth hormone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone

Quote:
Regulation

Peptides released by neurosecretory nuclei of the hypothalamus (Growth hormone-releasing hormone/somatocrinin and Growth hormone-inhibiting hormone/somatostatin) into the hypophyseal portal venous blood surrounding the pituitary are the major controllers of GH secretion by the somatotropes. However, although the balance of these stimulating and inhibiting peptides determines GH release, this balance is affected by many physiological stimulators (e.g., exercise, nutrition, sleep) and inhibitors of GH secretion (e.g., Free fatty acids)[3] [4]

Stimulators of GH secretion include:

* peptide hormones
o Growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) through binding to the growth hormone releasing hormone receptor (GHRHR)[5]
o ghrelin through binding to growth hormone secretagogue receptors (GHSR)[6]
* sex hormones[7]
o increased androgen secretion during puberty (in males from testis and in females from adrenal cortex)
o estrogen
* clonidine and L-DOPA by stimulating GHRH release[8]
* hypoglycaemia, arginine[9] and propranolol by inhibiting somatostatin release[8]

* deep sleep[10]
* fasting[11]
* vigorous exercise [12]

Inhibitors of GH secretion include:

* somatostatin from the periventricular nucleus [13]
* circulating concentrations of GH and IGF-1 (negative feedback on the pituitary and hypothalamus)[2]
* hyperglycemia[8]
* glucocorticoids[14]
* dihydrotestosterone
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 06:50
Registered Member

BF:

Influence of Commercial Dietary Oils on Lipid Composition and Testosterone Production in Interstitial Cells Isolated from Rat Testis
Interesting to see that Testosterone concentration was higher in Olive Oil and Coconut groups compared with Soy or Grapeseed

Note that in the same way testosterone concentration directly correlated with cholesterol levels, so vitamin D3 production in the skin depends on cholesterol levels.
Low cholesterol in skin = low vitamin d production.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
While the body can burn fat for fuel, this isn’t its natural state – it’s an adaptation.

One could argue the reverse quite successfully too. Especially if one has any notion of what humans ate before they discovered agriculture.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:

Interesting program on NEANDERTHALS BBC RADIO 4 this morning.
You can listen again if you've 45mins to spare.
Interesting to hear how much meat Neanderthals ate and the importance of bone marrow and that the organ meats were probably eaten raw straight after the kill and probably only the stuff carried back to the cave was cooked.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: Meat, Fish, Eggs
Stats: 220/200/200 Male 72 inches
BF:We all have it
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Quote:

Now I understand the bullshit.

Yep, I think you hit the nail right on the head here Martin.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/250/220 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

does anyone have some anecdotal evidence like...I eat low carb and have tons of muscle and am in great shape? Lots I imagine. Is there ever room for "hey look at me". That just proves the point? Its hard to see a "study" like this and not know what opinions the testers had from the onset.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 17:18

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by the quoted article
carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel source
This is fitness trainer conventional wisdom. They actually said this in class in my college fitness trainer program.

Preferred for what? well, exercise, the thing we are promoting. The whole rest of the day, fat is the preferred fuel. When I asked this question in class - how can you say it's preferred when more time is fueled by fat - the teacher looked at me like I had two heads. When exercise is the main thing, and you need sugar for exercise, and the harder the exercise the more sugar, then voila sugar is the preferred fuel.

No one else in class seemed to think this was nuts.

Last edited by Seejay : Wed, Jun-23-10 at 09:03.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 22:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

The study lost all credibility when they made 30% out to be ketogenic. I do weight training, and almost no carbs. My results have been kind of confusing. I have gotten steadily stronger, increasing the weights as I go, and my muscles have become much more defined. However, they have enlarged very little. This has been over the course of about four months, maybe a little less. Now, in all other regards, there is no question in my mind which fuel source works best. I have more endurance and a stronger immune system on extremely low carbs, and feel like shit when I eat more than a gram or two at a meal.

Last edited by karatepig : Tue, Jun-22-10 at 22:30.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 03:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
This is fitness trainer conventional wisdom. They actually said this in class in my college fitness trainer program.

Preferred for what? well, exercise, the thing we are promoting. The whole rest of the day, fat is the preferred fuel. When I asked this question in class - how can you say it's preferred when more time is fueled by fat - the teacher looked at me like I had two heads. When exercise is the main thing, and you need sugar for exercise, and the harder the exercise the more sugar, then voila sugar is the preferred fuel.

No one else in class seemed to think this was nuts.

Hey Seejay!!!

Just a minor quibble: the way you've quoted what was in the article looks as if I actually wrote it, not that it was in the article I found!!!

I just wish to make it clear that I did not pen the words above!!!

amanda
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 09:03

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Gotcha amanda, I was able to edit and fix it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 09:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Gotcha amanda, I was able to edit and fix it.

Thanks so much!!!

amanda