Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 07:37

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 162/140/125 Female 64 inch
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopjunkie
Hi bidisha!

Nice to meet another GTAer!

thx shopjunkie..same here
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 10:25

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidisha
You know what..its not that difficult..i focus on the tandooris, kabobs and curries and skip the naan, rice, roti..occasionaly i do have daal but maybe 1-2 spoons

I love love LOVE Indian food - it's so hard to resist!! Dal Makhani, Chana Masala, and Samosas are my favourite

I've been reading up on LC choices while at Indian restaurants and how to prepare LC Indian food on my own. Hmmm... maybe a gluten-free naan one day while on maintenance?? lol
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 07:58

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I hear you...I'm gluten free now, and it's really hard now to eat out. It's in EVERYTHING from sauces to salad dressings...some places the meat is either coated or injected with wheat.

I love(d) samosas and channa masala too, and some places put them together: the samosas in the bottom of the bowl and the Channa gets poured on top...OMG, the best dish ever..and cheap too! But alas, I can't get along with wheat anymore so this one is out..plus the carbs in the chick peas.

I do prepare butter chicken at home, but somehow it never tastes 'authentic' enough for me. It is just not the same either without the rice or roti, LOL.

We can dream, shopjunkie, we can dream!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 09:04
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Have you tried cauli-flied rice? I'm sure there is a recipe for it in the recipe forum. Basically you shred cauliflower and fry it up in butter. It is a fairly good low-carb sub for rice, especially for things like butter chicken where you poury a saucy thing over the "rice". I've been able to safely indulge my butter chicken and rice needs that way.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 05:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/141/135 Female 5'3
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 85%

I've even just steamed my cauliflower and served curried chicken over it just like that! I do usually mash the cauliflower though.. it makes a great bed for any type of curry dish.

Haven't passed through here in a bit.. how are all you ladies doing?! Hope the losses have been steady for you
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 07:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
We can dream, shopjunkie, we can dream!!!!

LOL, you're right - we can still have our Indian food, glutenous dreams!

Speaking of gluten being in EVERYTHING, DH and I went to The Mandarin a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would be safe eating only grilled meats and veggies. (And since we've been LC, we NEVER go out to eat because I like to prepare my own food. But, we thought we'd have a a little treat). So on the drive back from the Mandarin, I started to feel really pukey. The next morning, every joint in my body was screaming at me! I could barely close my left hand! So, I called The Mandarin and asked if there's MSG or wheat in their food. They assured me that no MSG is ever used (I'm not so sure about that), but that their meats are injected with some sort of solution, possibly containing wheat (even the grilled meats). Isn't that crazy?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Have you tried cauli-flied rice?

Your know what? I've shredded cauliflower and used it to make faux mashed potatoes and pizza crust, but I've never actually used it as a rice sub. Thanks for the idea, Valerie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvhandles
how are all you ladies doing?! Hope the losses have been steady for you

Hi Luvhandles! Well, I've been in a stall for quite awhile. I think I have to get back into exercising; I was losing much better when I was doing hot yoga 3x/week. How have you been?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy the weekend, ladies! It's kinda gloomy today, so I think I may head over to Vaughan Mills Mall (and try NOT to spend money, lol) and then I'll go grocery shopping. Do any of you have favourite grocery stores? Mine are: Nature's Emporium (Newmarket), Fortinos (Vaughan), and Highland Farms (Vaughan).
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 07:31

BF:

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask... Did any of you see this on the CBC the other night?

My Big Fat Diet

I think it's airing again tomorrow night. It's very good, very informative!

...there's a lot of talk about the many uses for cauliflower on a LC diet, lol
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 10:22

Hello Ladies!!

Looks like we all fell off?? I did anyhow and not just in the conversation LOL SO I'm BACK 12 pounds up and a little more than dissapointed with myself..could use use the words of encouragement from the local girl!

Hope you have all kept well!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 08:49

BF:

Oh god, yes, I so fell off the wagon!

A couple of days ago, I even had Pizza Hut. And you know what, it wasn't even that good! I'm writing out an LC plan for myself today, including my favourite treats to keep me on track (cheesecake, cauli potatoes, cauli pizza, etc.), and I'm definitely going to start yoga again. I felt amazing when I was working out - it's such a key to my success

We can do this, Luvhandles!! We're tough Canadian girls!!! lol What's your plan to get back on track?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 09:00

Hey Shopjunkie!!

Over the last few days I've been planning my meals and sticking to..I haven't been to the gym since August when my membership came to an end I've been off plan eating for more than a couple of months.. terrible.

Considering gettin back to the P90X routine but I just got back to work in the last while and so time is VERY limited for me now.

SO like I said I'm up on the scale..BUT I'm back! DH is ready to get back on too..he did really well low carbing and has slimmed down like crazy! He looks terrific Rawrrr heeheehee He doesn't need to lose but he likes how he feels without the carby sugary stuff so he'll help me stick to it as well.

So you get back on yours and I'll get back on mine and we'll kick some butt together Canadian style!!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 08:44

BF:

Hey Luvhandles,

How did your weekend go? Saturday was not-so-great for me, but I actually ate well on Sunday (DH is back on track with me too)

Plus, I finally found grass-fed beef in Markham!!! (I've been looking everywhere in the GTA!).

Well, I'm off to hot yoga (pray for me that I survive, lol. I haven't been to a class in awhile).

Have a great day!

Liz

P.S. Congrats to your hubby on his weight loss! LC men are sexxy, lol
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 08:37

Heya!

Weekend was alright..although I had a couple drinks and popped upward on the scale LOL..Back at er again this week and I'm slowly comin back down. I pass this place for hot yoga when on route to and from work..I've been thinking about it but I'll have to wait until after Christmas as I'm crazy busy these upcoming weeks. I'm sure you will feel fantastic once you get back to it

Yes I like my man LC hahahaha!!

Let me know that you lived
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 09:21

Plan: Paleo/Primal VLC
Stats: 348/316/190 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hello from Northern Ontario.

Does anyone know where you can buy the DaVinci syrups except online?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 09:26

BF:

Hi minerva!

I've seen DaVinci syrups at my local Walmart.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-11, 12:22

Plan: Paleo/Primal VLC
Stats: 348/316/190 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks Elizabeth

I checked them out and nada, though I did find some Xylitol . I guess I'll have to make an online order.