Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 12:24
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Jim, I've been increasing my tuna and salmon and other fishes to 3-4 meals a week to try to boost my OMEGA 3 EPA. Already taking a liquid calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement with 600mg magnesium plus the 50mg in my multi. So I should be A-OK on magnesium.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%

'For anyone who hasn't yet watched it this video from Christopher Gardener is worth the time.'

There was (and probably still is) a podcast from him on iTunes.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 13:51
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

In my goal to get more O3 in my diet, I bought a 'can' of salmon -- chicken of the sea, right next to the Tuna.

I have no clue what to do with it. I don't eat fish. I have two questions I figured someone here would know:

1. Is it raw? Do I have to cook it first? Or is it like tuna, and I can just mix it into a casserole or something uncooked, and eat it?

2. Does cooking it reduce the O3 or make it nasty?

PJ
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 14:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
1. Is it raw? Do I have to cook it first? Or is it like tuna, and I can just mix it into a casserole or something uncooked, and eat it?

You don't have to cook it. You can eat it straight from the can if you like.

Quote:

Cooking won't make it nasty.

I don't know about the O3 thing. I would guess cooking doesn't reduce O3.

I like salmon cooked in patties.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
In my goal to get more O3 in my diet, I bought a 'can' of salmon -- chicken of the sea, right next to the Tuna.

I have no clue what to do with it. I don't eat fish. I have two questions I figured someone here would know:

PJ
I eat it as it is straight from the can as it is fully cooked, so just add to some salad.

But if you want to here are some recipes if you want something more elaborate

World's Healthiest foods omega-3 fatty acids goes into the issue in a bit more detail but basically you don't want to heat/cook omega 3 so it more of a matter of just warming it through rather than cooking it to death.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:01

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

if you expect it to taste similar to tuna, you'll be very surprised...I think it's nasty stuff even though I like canned tuna
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:08

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
if you expect it to taste similar to tuna, you'll be very surprised...I think it's nasty stuff even though I like canned tuna

Salmon isn't my favorite food either. I wouldn't exactly call it "nasty," but it's a stronger flavor.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:20
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I wish that I liked canned fish since it's cheap and fast, but I can't stand it. It all tastes completely dry to me, like it was left in an oven way too long. Even mayo for the tuna doesn't help. I much prefer buying actual fish, which doesn't take that long to cook really. Dinner last night was pan-fried salmon and steamed green beans with homemade hollandaise sauce

--Melissa
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:38
Registered Member

'but as we know there is a global deficiency state in some basic anti inflammatory nutrients EVERYONE who hasn't corrected these deficiency states will have higher levels of inflammation than necessary.
People need to recognise that some foods are more pro inflammatory than others.'

Yeah, my risk factors will still get attention in my doctor's office, during a visit. Global, schmobal.

#55   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 16:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
Yeah, my risk factors will still get attention in my doctor's office, during a visit.
Fat chance of that.
Show me the evidence that doctors have, as a body, actually corrected their own 25(OH)D status?
Do you know your current 25(OH)D level? If not why not?

Similarly I see no evidence when I visit hospitals in the UK that NHS staff are any less obese than the general public. If the advice they were offering were effective surely the effects on their own staff would be demonstrable.
Evaluation of obesity in healthcare workers. shows it isn't just in the UK this happens.

Quote:
Global, schmobal..
Perhaps you can find evidence of one country where 25(OH)D levels have remained stable and have not declined as ozone levels have risen. This shows how ozone is affecting crop yields

This shows the effect in Iran and here is the same story in Belgium
and here is the same trend in USA In 1950, only 30% of the world’s population was urban. More than 50% will be living in urban areas by 2008, and it is expected that 60% will live in cities by 2030. As more people live in towns it's inevitable that vitamin D status declines year on year.

As far as magnesium is concerned it's the introduction of new varieties that has caused the recent decline in status.
The concentrations of zinc, iron, copper and magnesium remained stable between 1845 and the mid 1960s, but since then have decreased significantly, which coincided with the introduction of semi-dwarf, high-yielding cultivars.

Remember the other adverse effect of modern wheats is the higher gluten content. is driving increased Celiac/Gluten sensitivity incidence that also leads to nutrient malabsorption.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 17:07
Registered Member

Smile

'Fat chance of that.'

You know my doctor personally, then, I guess.

'Do you know your current 25(OH)D level? If not why not?'

I already have posted that my doctor checks my Vitamin D level as part of all the other routine chemistry assays he routinely orders. Grrrrr. I wish I could remember WHICH of these discussions about 'how doctors don't know shit from shinola about Vitamin D' I posted that in....

And he's a 'best practices,' middle-of-the-road doc I've been seeing for almost 30 years. I've also said that.

Better yet, he's kept my mouth in working order so I can speak up and ask him if I have a question about anything. If you see a doctor, you have that option.

I posted about my low level of last year, which, after 12 months of supplementation, has risen to be barely .70 ng/ml from sufficient, and my surprise that all my supplementation ONLY got me there. I recall mentioning that I rarely go out in the sun except in daily travel, and my mother, who died of cancer, was a sun-worshipper who sunbathed every day that the sun shone.

I never had to ask for the vitamin D test to be done; it was routine. It was discussed because it was low; so, I took a supplement. This all was discussed in my doctor's office.

'If the advice they were offering were effective surely the effects on their own staff would be demonstrable.'
I've been spending a lot of time in the hospital, visiting, lately. I see a staff that is on the slimmer end of the population's weight spectrum. The patients are on the fatter end of the spectrum. I wondered why - then I remembered seeing this recently in Mary Dan Eades' blog (she prefaces her argument with, 'I know what we said about exercise and we're not changing that, BUT....')

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd_bl...ounds/#more-608

In particular,

'For quite some time now, this very idea–standing more–has been something that Mike and I have discussed at length in our ongoing search for what changed in our lives (and the lives of our peers) during the quiet slide from 40 to 60. What happened that could account for the difficulty so many of us clearly experience in holding the line against weight gain (let alone losing weight) as we age, even in the face of a eating about the same amount of food and doing about the same amount of exercise as we did in our younger years.

One of the things that has changed, for us at least, is what we do for a living and the lifestyle differences that shift engendered.

Thirty years ago we first went into clinical practice and for the next nearly twenty years after that, our days were spent working 10 to 12 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week, seeing patients in the clinic. A day in our lives as clinic doctors looked something like this: walk to exam room door, pick up chart, go into exam room, sit on a backless stool for about 5 or 10 minutes coning down on the patient’s chief reason for being there, stand to wash hands and examine the patient, sit again (or often continue to stand) beside the patient to discuss findings and recommend testing to be done, walk out of room, track down nurse to carry out the orders, walk to the x-ray suite to check developed films or to the lab to check results, all done standing, walk to the next exam room, repeat the process 50 or more times a day. We were in and out of rooms, up and down and up and down all day long, with a whole lot of it spent ‘up’ and not much spent sitting. Most of those years, we spent almost zero time ‘working out’ or doing any formal kind of ‘exercise’.'

At the hospital, I see the staff doing just all that activity - and it shows. If someone sits at the nurses' station all day, answering the phone, that shows too.

Also, I take the stairs, always, and in the hospital, those stairs are crowded with staff (doctors, nurses, techs) going from floor to floor.

So my opinion of hospital staff differs from yours.

Global, schmobal. Save the whales.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 23:39

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
same story in Belgium

I am going to have to emigrate
Is there a country where you still get ample sunshine and where the food produced is of decent quality?
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 01:27
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Shangri-la?
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 02:48
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
You know my doctor personally, then, I guess.
As your example shows your doctor is following consensus medical opinion and believes Statins are suitable for your condition. As he as demonstrably failed to deal with your inflammatory status effectively it should be obvious your health is at risk because of your continued reliance on those who have conspicuously failed to prevent your current situation.

Quote:
I already have posted that my doctor checks my Vitamin D level as part of all the other routine chemistry assays he routinely orders. Grrrrr. I wish I could remember WHICH of these discussions about 'how doctors don't know shit from shinola about Vitamin D' I posted that in.
Is it or is it not the case that most doctors only prescribe the form of vitamin D that actually speeds up the catabolism of vitamin D. While it is the case that the majority of health professionals are putting the best interests of big pharma before the best interests of patients remains the case that the majority of readers here should take control of their own 25(OH)D status.

Quote:
And he's a 'best practices,' middle-of-the-road doc I've been seeing for almost 30 years. I've also said that.
But the effects of the changes that have occurred in soybean consumption, Corn syrup consumption, wheat varieties and omega 6 levels have occurred over the last 30yrs, Therefore an awareness of what the state of research is NOW and what actually works in practice NOW (under the changed circumstances) is required if prevention is going to be effective. By the time the medical profession have understood the importance of Vitamin D magnesium and omega 3 it's more than likely you will be dead.

Quote:
Better yet, he's kept my mouth in working order so I can speak up and ask him if I have a question about anything.
Pity he didn't keep your brain functioning so you have the capacity and confidence to think for yourself.

Quote:
If you see a doctor, you have that option.
I prefer not to have to see my doctor regularly.

Quote:
I posted about my low level of last year, which, after 12 months of supplementation, has risen to be barely .70 ng/ml from sufficient, and my surprise that all my supplementation ONLY got me there.
Yep people need to adjust Vitamin D intake in relation to their weight. I'm sure your doctor was able to advise you what a suitable intake may be for someone your weight. 1000iu/daily per 25lbs is usually about right but retesting after 3~6 months is required because everyone responds individually depending partly on their current inflammatory status. However what is regarded by the medical consensus as "Sufficient" does not provide any stored reserves of D3 as we only BEGIN to store D3 ABOVE 40ng/ml and it's generally around 60ng/ml that sufficient Vitamin D3 reserves are available (to pass to babies in breast milk) and keep the setpoint for immune function stable.

Quote:
I recall mentioning that I rarely go out in the sun except in daily travel, and my mother, who died of cancer, was a sun-worshipper who sunbathed every day that the sun shone.
As we know Vitamin D status is NOT a magic bullet, but one of several items that enable the body to deal effectively with inflammation and the conditions that arise from that. People with high omega 6 status will NOT be able to resolve inflammation arising from UVB exposure, only when your omega 3 omega 6 ratio is reduced so there are roughly equal amount n3<> n6 or at worst 1n3<> 5n6 is the omega 3 able to compete with the omega 6 above that, (Most US adults are around 30n6<>1n3) will you benefit from the ability of omega 3 to resolve inflammation. Stephan on Melanoma and Omega 6

Quote:
So my opinion of hospital staff differs from yours.
Indeed.
The situation is such in the UK that they have had to issue some guidance on the topic

NYT: Teaching Doctors about Nutrition and Diet

Quote:
Global, schmobal. Save the whales.
I take that to indicate you haven't one shred of evidence to dispute the fact that globally Vitamin D levels reduce as more people become urbanized causing local ozone levels rise thus preventing UVB reaching ground level. I don't see how Whales come into the argument as they are not known as a source of vitamin D3, Seals on the other hand do bask in the sun and therefore do contain Vitamin D3 (it was the traditional practice of fermenting game & fish in seal oil in pits in the ground that enabled Inuit to survive the long winter, on average they were getting over 6000iu/daily from food sources)

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sat, Sep-18-10 at 03:21.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 07:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
I'll ditto you on that. I've bought canned salmon in the past but never again as it totally makes me GAG. Though I have bought smoked salmon and I totally adore that.