Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Wax Beans! Help =)

Hello all. I just finished my first week of induction. Running along great with help from this forum. I am trying to add variety to my veggies and purchased quite a bit of wax beans. I've never had them, but I'd love to spice them up a bit because I've heard they aren't too tasty. I would love to cook them, not have them in a salad, more as a side dish with dinner. Does anybody have any ideas? I was unlucky searching the internet for wax bean recipes. =) Thanks in advance guys!

Kirsten
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Any green bean recipe can be used for wax or yellow beans. They don't taste like green beans but they aren't bland. They do have a distinctive bean-y taste of their own.

Adapted from the Seattle Times:

Summer Bean Ragout with Fresh Savory
4 servings

- 1 1/4 pounds green or yellow beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Trim the green beans and cut into 2-inch lengths. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the beans and time 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. When cooled, pat with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture.

3. In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, garlic and shallot; saute about 4 minutes to soften. Add the cream and boil gently until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the green beans along with the savory, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir about 4 to 5 minutes, until the beans are warmed through and have absorbed some of the other flavors.

Adapted from Jeanine's Kitchen:

Beans with Tomato Bacon Topping
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 lb. fresh green or yellow beans
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 T. fresh
Salt & pepper, to taste

Set aside 1/4 cup chicken broth. Pour remaining broth into saucepan. Wash bean and trim ends. Bring broth to a boil and add beans. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain beans; set aside and keep warm. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until tender. Add reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth and tomatoes to garlic mixture, cook until broth is almost evaporated, stirring frequently. Add bacon, basil, salt and pepper, stir until combined. To serve, spoon beans evenly onto individual plates and top with tomato mixture.

Bean and Mushroom Saute
Serves 4-6

8 slices bacon
1 1/2 lbs green or yellow beans, trimmed
1 lb mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sweet basil
1 pinch thyme
salt & pepper

Parboil beans in salted water 7-10 minutes, then drain and cool.
Cut bacon into 1" slices and begin to fry slowly until crisp. Remove the bacon, leaving the fat behind. Add mushrooms and garlic and fry until mushrooms are cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
Add beans and stir until heated through. Add the crisp bacon and salt & pepper to taste.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%

We also like to steam the beans, then quickly saute in a pan with some garlic butter and finish with a few coarsely chopped almonds. Very yummy.

Theresa