Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 19:32

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

My son was flipping channels a couple of days ago, and he paused on Dr. Oz's show for a few minutes. I'd never seen it before. It was so irritating I just had to post here.

They were talking about lowering your blood cholesterol by lowering your dietary cholesterol. (Because we know that whatever we eat goes directly into our blood stream. I ate a salad half an hour ago. I imagine bits of celery and lettuce are floating in my blood even as I sit here.)

Anyway he's demonstrating simple substitutions you can make while cooking to lower cholesterol. He first shows how much cholesterol is in butter. Then he explains you can substitute a mashed banana for butter in cooking. 0 grams cholesterol. And the audience of women all gasp in amazement and awe. And the look on his face says, "Yea, ain't I wonderful?"

Now I don't know how they got all those women to gasp audibly. A sign flashing, "Gasp in wonder"? Pre-recorded gasps inserted at the right place? An audience of particularly stupid women? But, honestly, it looked like the guy was actually eating it up. There's always a risk that you'll be taken in by your own PR.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 20:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

So, it's OK to fry my eggs in bananas?
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 20:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Mike! You nearly made me choke! (Yes of course on my mashed banana... )
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 20:50

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 23:19

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

Not to be the spoil sport, but it's well known that apple sauce and mashed bananas are substitutes for butter or oil in baking when trying to reduce fat. So no, they're not suggesting you fry your eggs in bananas, but perhaps use a banana in that fat free cake you're trying to make
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 08:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
My son was flipping channels a couple of days ago, and he paused on Dr. Oz's show for a few minutes. I'd never seen it before. It was so irritating I just had to post here.

They were talking about lowering your blood cholesterol by lowering your dietary cholesterol. (Because we know that whatever we eat goes directly into our blood stream. I ate a salad half an hour ago. I imagine bits of celery and lettuce are floating in my blood even as I sit here.)

Anyway he's demonstrating simple substitutions you can make while cooking to lower cholesterol. He first shows how much cholesterol is in butter. Then he explains you can substitute a mashed banana for butter in cooking. 0 grams cholesterol. And the audience of women all gasp in amazement and awe. And the look on his face says, "Yea, ain't I wonderful?"

Now I don't know how they got all those women to gasp audibly. A sign flashing, "Gasp in wonder"? Pre-recorded gasps inserted at the right place? An audience of particularly stupid women? But, honestly, it looked like the guy was actually eating it up. There's always a risk that you'll be taken in by your own PR.

Oh why did I read this??? Now my blood pressure is racing and I feel nauseous! That guy is just so full of himself I can't even stand looking at him! Ant the women that fawn over him make me ill too!!
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 12:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin
No it's well known that apple sauce and mashed bananas are substitutes for butter or oil in baking when trying to reduce fat.

Yep. It's well-known. Even I know it, and I don't follow these things closely. So why the amazed and admiring gasps from the audience? It was truly nauseating.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 12:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
Oh why did I read this??? Now my blood pressure is racing and I feel nauseous! That guy is just so full of himself I can't even stand looking at him! Ant the women that fawn over him make me ill too!!

I know, right? (<= Favorite phrase of my teenaged son.)

And his face is so awful looking. I don't know - too bony or angle-y or something.

Anyway, I'd like to think that if I had an "APPLAUD" sign directly over my head, I'd be aware that everyone's applauding because of the sign, not because I'm God's gift to humanity. I would try not to look quite so pleased with myself.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 13:19

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Yep. It's well-known. Even I know it, and I don't follow these things closely. So why the amazed and admiring gasps from the audience? It was truly nauseating.

I learned that 20 years ago from Susan Powter when I was into low fat. Maybe the women in the audience were low fat rookies and hadn't heard of it yet.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 13:23

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I learned that 20 years ago from Susan Powter when I was into low fat. Maybe the women in the audience were low fat rookies and hadn't heard of it yet.

In the words of P. T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-10, 09:49

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I used to use apple sauce to cut the fat down in my baking. I also used to weight 285 lbs. Just sayin' ...
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/240/200 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Why is this song running though my head?
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 19:06

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Funny, I was thinking of this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjkth6BRRY
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: AtKiNs
Stats: 210/196/150 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 23%

Lol I rather watch the Steve Wilko show... Someone at least going to throw a chair. Dr. Oz is a tad boring.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 20:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 51
Why is this song running though my head?

After watching this video, I sat through two full minutes of William Shatner doing "Taxi" on the Dinah Shore show. That's when I realized I didn't have to, and left.