Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/176/135 Female 5ft.7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've had it officially for 10 years now, probably longer before I was diagnosed.

Hope you feel better soon! It can take 2 weeks to really feel the meds.

Not sure about causes? I wonder if mine wasn't triggered by something environmental, because my childhood friend also has it, and we went to the same schools and lived 1 block apart. Then again, I was also doused in pesticide when NY decided to fight mosquitoes (to prevent encephalitis) and had helicopters spray the neighborhood at 3pm without warning. Nice. :P Now I'm rambling. But I imagine it's hard to figure out what really causes it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 08:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If there's an environmental cause, and it is likely because these autoimmune diseases seem to be linked together, I'm betting it is gluten intolerance or celiac disease. People with gluten intolerance have a very high likelyhood of getting a thyroid disorder.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 12:29

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 162/145/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I have been Hashimoto's for at least 8 years. Funny think is my father used to tell me when I was little that he thought I had a goiter. I did not know I had Hashimoto's until about 2 years ago. Before I was just diagnosed with Low Thyroid. The synthroid that I took did get my TSH under control some what but my T-3 and T-4 numbers were not right. Now I take Armour Thyroid a combo of T-3 and T-4 and I am doing much better. I have always struggled with weight. I am very carb sensitive especially Bread pasta potatoes and sugar. I bloat.
I just started back on Induction because my wight loss has stalled due to the holiday and my lack of commitment. Now I would like very much to see 7 pounds gone by New Years!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 17:15

Stats: 203/162/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:too high
Progress: 77%

Hello,

I also have Hashimotos and have been living with it for the last 13 years.

I also have 3 small nogels on my thyroid.

I take no meds, I see my doctor once a year .At that time
I have a thyroid functional test done and thyroid altersound.

My Thyroid is functioning normal as long as it is my doc says no meds necessary. I been on a lc before and have lost over 30 pounds. put some back on but L/C again and doing ok.

my progress is slow but sure.

Debbie
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 20:52

Plan: Atkins....???
Stats: 174/174/132 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I too have Hashimoto's - DX in 2002, switched to Armour this past August. Haven't fully committed to Low Carb keep falling off of it and I'm not sure why or what I need to do to stay on better -I think trying to handle stress better. Also trying to increase energy so I can exercise along with the LC.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 01:56

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

I have Hashimoto's as well. One endocrinologist told me that she thinks I also have Graves', but she never tested me for it. Numerous members of my family have Hashimoto's, and two of my sisters and three of my cousins have Graves'. I was diagnosed 10 years ago, but I suspect that I had had it for at least two decades before that. (I was told nine years before I was finally diagnosed that my thyroid was "borderline.")

I'm currently taking 60 mg of Armour Thyroid and 25 mcg of Synthroid per day. When I first started meds and got on the right dose, I felt a lot better. However, I now feel worse than ever. I have many allergies and sensitivities (which are only getting worse), and I suspect I'm reacting to my thyroid meds (possibly to the fillers). There are days when I wish I had never started taking meds and had figured out a natural way to control my condition.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-09, 08:45

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 187/163/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Ultrasound results

My ultrasound showed multiple nodules and also that my lymph nodes were enlarged. My doctor seemed somewhat concerned and immediately got in contact with an endocrinologist who said that I need more blood work and to get a new ultrasound in 6 months. How worried should I be?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 02:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 212/208.4/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Dont know
Progress: 5%
Default 24 years old with Hashimotos

Hey ladies! My name is Heather! I came across this forum because I did a lookup for "no longer have hashimotos". I was trying to see if there was anyone else out there who had been diagnosed with HMT (hashimotos thyroiditis) and quit their meds with no returning affects.

My story: In May of 08 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos after going to the doc. for a lump in my throat that felt like it was pushing on my airway. I also had other symptoms such as feeling overly tired, had NO energy, had a heavy period, was moody and easily irritated, and oh yeah.. that annoying fact I was gaining a TON of weight (roughly 70+ pounds to date!). So anyhow, I had an ultrasound of my neck done which showed I had an enlarging goiter. I also had some blood work done which proved me to be positive for Hashimotos. My doc. at the time prescribed me 100mcg of levothyroxin. I took it on a daily basis for a few months and wasnt seeing the progression I should have been.. so she bumped my meds up to 112mcg (still levothyroxin). I noticed my energy was coming back, I was more alert and happy, over many many months my period was lighter and was coming on the SAME day every month... I was feeling great! My levels were always good and although I wasnt REALLY losing weight, I was maintaining, so that was better than gaining still! In Feb. of 09 (for one reason or another) I quit taking my levothyroxin. I havent been tired or feeling drained. Im still lively and energetic. My period is still as light as it has been, I havent gained any extra weight... but I can tell that my mood swings are coming back. Im snappy with my kids and with my husband. Im easily irritated at everything they do and say, and I hate it! Im not sure whether or not this is the first sign of my levels dropping because I havent been on my meds or what. I dont know if it is possible to "no longer have hashimotos" but I am really hoping I dont. I just cant see myself having to take a pill EVERY SINGLE DAY! Im not a meds kind of person! Im also getting really frustrated with my weight and the inability to lose with normal metabolism levels and everything "looking great". I have gained the weight of a middle-schooler in ONE year and I struggle to even lose ONE POUND! I convinced my doc. to put me on Bontril since I had been on it years before and saw great results, but this time.. it did nothing! I think I lost about 6 pounds while I was working out everyday for 1 hour a day but the second I stopped working my butt off at the gym, it all came back! Is that how its going to be? Kill myself in the gym or suffer being fat for the rest of my life? What are some tips, tricks and techniques you can pass on? Im willing to try anything at this point! Im not good with dieting, but I am good at exercising! I think if I didnt feel like I was being deprived or starved for good food I would do just fine with a diet, but I have yet to find a diet that doesnt make me feel like I need to hold up a donut shop! lol JK (or am I?!)
ANYWAY... thats my story, thats my rant! I hope to get to know some of you well! I need a buddy who I can vent to who actually KNOWS what Im going through. Too many people out there dont know how to understand what Im going through and it makes it frustrating!

Nite ladies!
Heather
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 17:58

Plan: Anything Low Carb
Stats: 145/123/110 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Im hypothyroid also. I got diagnosed back in 2007 with Hyperthyroid and then I got the radiation iodine pill to kill my thyroid off, so back in fall 2007 I became hypothyroid. Ive been taking Levothyroxine 100 MCG for about 2 years now. I think I had hyperthyroid since I was 15 because I had all of the symptoms, but I never got that checked out until I was 16 and then they told me.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 08:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherK24
Hey ladies! My name is Heather! I came across this forum because I did a lookup for "no longer have hashimotos". I was trying to see if there was anyone else out there who had been diagnosed with HMT (hashimotos thyroiditis) and quit their meds with no returning affects.

My story: In May of 08 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos after going to the doc. for a lump in my throat that felt like it was pushing on my airway. I also had other symptoms such as feeling overly tired, had NO energy, had a heavy period, was moody and easily irritated, and oh yeah.. that annoying fact I was gaining a TON of weight (roughly 70+ pounds to date!). So anyhow, I had an ultrasound of my neck done which showed I had an enlarging goiter. I also had some blood work done which proved me to be positive for Hashimotos. My doc. at the time prescribed me 100mcg of levothyroxin. I took it on a daily basis for a few months and wasnt seeing the progression I should have been.. so she bumped my meds up to 112mcg (still levothyroxin). I noticed my energy was coming back, I was more alert and happy, over many many months my period was lighter and was coming on the SAME day every month... I was feeling great! My levels were always good and although I wasnt REALLY losing weight, I was maintaining, so that was better than gaining still! In Feb. of 09 (for one reason or another) I quit taking my levothyroxin. I havent been tired or feeling drained. Im still lively and energetic. My period is still as light as it has been, I havent gained any extra weight... but I can tell that my mood swings are coming back. Im snappy with my kids and with my husband. Im easily irritated at everything they do and say, and I hate it! Im not sure whether or not this is the first sign of my levels dropping because I havent been on my meds or what. I dont know if it is possible to "no longer have hashimotos" but I am really hoping I dont. I just cant see myself having to take a pill EVERY SINGLE DAY! Im not a meds kind of person! Im also getting really frustrated with my weight and the inability to lose with normal metabolism levels and everything "looking great". I have gained the weight of a middle-schooler in ONE year and I struggle to even lose ONE POUND! I convinced my doc. to put me on Bontril since I had been on it years before and saw great results, but this time.. it did nothing! I think I lost about 6 pounds while I was working out everyday for 1 hour a day but the second I stopped working my butt off at the gym, it all came back! Is that how its going to be? Kill myself in the gym or suffer being fat for the rest of my life? What are some tips, tricks and techniques you can pass on? Im willing to try anything at this point! Im not good with dieting, but I am good at exercising! I think if I didnt feel like I was being deprived or starved for good food I would do just fine with a diet, but I have yet to find a diet that doesnt make me feel like I need to hold up a donut shop! lol JK (or am I?!)
ANYWAY... thats my story, thats my rant! I hope to get to know some of you well! I need a buddy who I can vent to who actually KNOWS what Im going through. Too many people out there dont know how to understand what Im going through and it makes it frustrating!

Nite ladies!
Heather

Heather, my daughter's endocrinologist told her about a woman (Hashies patient) who just got sick of taking her thyroid meds so she stopped taking them. I don't know how much time elapsed but she did end up going into a comma and almost lost her life. Please go back in to see your doc. okay?
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 10:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 212/208.4/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Dont know
Progress: 5%
Default I give in! lol

Over the weekend I got to talking with my aunt about me quitting my meds.. and lets just say, if I were a kid again, she woulda thrown me over her knee and beat me! lol She is also on Thyroid meds and apparently years ago, tried the same thing I did. She quit her meds for 3 months, and when she started noticing all her persky symptoms come back, she started taking them again. But for whatever reason, even still today, she cant seem to find ANY dose of thyroid meds to raise her levels! She keeps gaining weight, is tired all the time, the whole bit! She urged me to start taking them again before I really screw things up...

I also told my husband I havent been taking them, and he was less then pleased! So..... Im going to start re-taking them today. I dont like the fact of having to be on them.. but if they're going to keep me healthy, then I guess I'd better!

So step one is re-starting on my meds. Step 2, and I'll give my body a month or so to get back on track with my meds, will be losing weight and trying out a low carb diet first!... Jillian Michaels from the show The Biggest Loser says the way to diet is to ask yourself "Does it come from the ground or a tree? And does it have a mother?" If your answering NO to any of those questions... then you shouldnt be eating it! And always be counting calories!

Have a good day ALL!
Heather
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 13:17

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherK24
Over the weekend I got to talking with my aunt about me quitting my meds.. and lets just say, if I were a kid again, she woulda thrown me over her knee and beat me! lol She is also on Thyroid meds and apparently years ago, tried the same thing I did. She quit her meds for 3 months, and when she started noticing all her persky symptoms come back, she started taking them again. But for whatever reason, even still today, she cant seem to find ANY dose of thyroid meds to raise her levels! She keeps gaining weight, is tired all the time, the whole bit! She urged me to start taking them again before I really screw things up...

I also told my husband I havent been taking them, and he was less then pleased! So..... Im going to start re-taking them today. I dont like the fact of having to be on them.. but if they're going to keep me healthy, then I guess I'd better!

So step one is re-starting on my meds. Step 2, and I'll give my body a month or so to get back on track with my meds, will be losing weight and trying out a low carb diet first!... Jillian Michaels from the show The Biggest Loser says the way to diet is to ask yourself "Does it come from the ground or a tree? And does it have a mother?" If your answering NO to any of those questions... then you shouldnt be eating it! And always be counting calories!

Have a good day ALL!
Heather

Shwew! VERY happy to hear that!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 10:30

Stats: 203/162/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:too high
Progress: 77%

Hi .

I have Hashimoto and have been living with it for 13 years.

I have gone off and on low carbing since 2001 and have had.
Good results. But each time I have gone off and went back on . losing weight has come off at a slower pace. and of corse I'm much older now.

Debbie 2007

Last edited by DEBBIE2007 : Wed, May-06-09 at 14:54.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 12:00

Plan: ADA (husb) IDDM
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 60
BF:
Progress:
Default Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Howdy Gang, first let me give you some information about Hasimoto's Thyroiditis Disease. This is an Autoimmune disorder. It tends to run in families and your immune system is attacking your thyroid. Hashimoto's can cause the thyroid to form nodules, (benign-non cancerous) tumors, goiters. However, your Doctor MUST monitor your thyroid via Ultra-Sound or via which other method they choose to ensure the nodules to not change. (become-cancerous-not common though). This condition can causes your thryoid hormone levels to be low in your blood. Leading to weight gain, fatigue, mood swings, mensus irregularities, heavy peroids, etc. Once you begin Thyroid replacement, NEVER and I mean NEVER should you suddenly stop taking this medication. It can easily put your body into SHOCK, and many other severe side effects!! If it seems the medication is not working, you must follow up with your Doctor. Many times, the medication may need to be adjusted. OR, some additional testing needs to be done. Since if you have problems with your thyroid, more than likely you can develop other Endocrine problems. (, i.e. Diabetes, low hormone levels: estrogen, progesterone, and in males-testosterone). Hashimoto's Thyroidits does not go away! As previously noted, this is an Autoimmune disease. If you have family members with other endocrine problems, be sure to share this info with your Doctor. My Hubby has Hashimoto's, he's insulin dependent diabetic and has other endocrine problems. Fortunately, for him, last year I literally saved his life after he returned from an extended business trip! Being an Open Heart/SICU RN, I noticed his symptoms of Diabetes. My hubby decided to stop taking one of his steroid inhalers while away & he wound up in ICU for (5) days fighting for his life! Steroids are hormones too. His stopping the streroids, & threw his body into Ketoacidosis. I had noticed his having to run to the bathroom every few minutes to pass his urine, plus his body gave off the odor of ketones. He had lost 30 pounds in one month. This is NOT the way to loose weight. On admission to the hospital, his blood sugar was nearly 700 and his Hgb A1c 13. There are many reasons for the problem of weight difficulties while taking thyroid medication. It's a matter of helping your Doctor by being your own detective sometimes, You know your body the best. Unfortunatley, as we age, our levels of female hormones also decrease and this can lead to weight gain as well, if not taking hormone replacement. But, your GYN Dr. has to prescribe this medication and decide with you if the side effects and benefits outweigh the risks of taking this hormone replacement. Lastly, I always tell patients, "Whenever in doubt, check it out!" Which means, if you're not sure, ask your Doctor. Before you go, make a list of questions, especially if you are the nervous type. Or, see if someone else can go with you to your appointment. Lastly, do not forget to use www.WebMD.com site. Very good for anyone to look up information.
Best of Luck Debbie,Didy, Heather and to everyone else too.
Regards,
H.Strasko,R.N., CCRN-R
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleo to fit JKR
Stats: 127/132/105 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: -23%

I don't have Hashimoto's, but my mom and most of her sisters have had it. Right now I'm only a bit hypothyroid (my ranges are normal but I get the hair falling out and cold feet), but I'm trying to take preventative measures. I agree with Nancy about the celiac/gluten intolerance. My mom loves to bake and is practically addicted to bread--she wouldn't give it up for the world... Same with her relatives.