Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 13:31

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Estrogen, Soy, The Obesogen Effect and Obesity

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3531565...and_nutrition//

This article is a bit long, but I thought it was VERY interesting. I am glad that the MSM is finally publishing articles that debunk the myth that excess calories are the only thing making people fat.

We're overloaded with soy, pesticides, and HFCS.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 16:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

A friend just posted that on Facebook. Great article, despite a few common preconceptions.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 17:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

This barely counts as news. In 1996, Theo Colburn published the ground-breaking book Our Stolen Future,on the topic of xenoestrogens, and the research goes back farther in time. Colburn got so exercised about the reckless use of xenoestrogens that she pushed for a statement of the precautionary principle at the Wingspread conference of 1998 and started the website Our Stolen Future.

Obesegens are a sub-class of xenoestrogens. While it's nice to see them receiving MSM attention, they're not exactly news.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 18:09

There's an interesting comment in the comments section:
Quote:
There is legislation in Congress now to make among other small farms, growing your own vegetable garden without using chemicals illegal and you are then a criminal. The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act, S 510, which does "for" family farms and ranches, natural and community food production what the McCain bill does to dietary supplements: create restrictions that the "Bigs" can live with but which will drive ethical, local production out of the market. Time to call your Congresspeople and Representatives and tell them to vote no on this so called food safety bill - . Also, tell them NO on McCain's legisation to take away our right to buy vitamins and nutritional supplements over the counter. Want to fight your doctor for a prescription for 1000 mg of vitamin C? That bill is called, "Supplement Safety Act 2010 (DSSA – S.3002). It also contains new low, low levels for daily requirements of vitamins. Lower than what is currently recommended. Why and what is the reason for this legislation that tells us we are children too stupid to understand what type of food we need?

Now *that's* news.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 17:07

Plan: Primal
Stats: 173/135/132 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 93%

AJ, regarding the Food Safety Modernization Act... That legislation is from about a year ago.

I found an interesting page that claims to address some "myths" and "facts" about the Act. This was posted on March 20, 2009 by Marion Nestle, whom I trust on such things.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/health...rming-440320604
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 17:33

Oh jeez,

I should learn to at least check Snopes.com before I post alarmist crap. Sorry about that.