Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 22:31

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Did I cure my lactose intolerance?

For about a year now, I have had horrible gas, and never knew what it was from. I mean stabbing horrible pains in my stomach until I could finally "let loose". This has actually been going on for probably 2 years actually.
One week a few months back, I would wake up and have the most painful stomach cramps known to man in the mornings and have to use the bathroom IMMEDIATELY. TMI sorry. I cut out ALL dairy and was completely fine. I was so happy. My next step was going to be gluten, as I thought I might have been gluten intolerant.
If I was going to have cream sauce or pizza, I'd pop a few Lactaid pills and I'd still be ok. If I had ice cream though, I would still have a bad morning. But for the most part, I'd be fine but have a few bouts of bad (horrible smelling) gas.
Since low carbing earlier this week, I've been able to eat cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, etc. without any bad side effects.
Is it possible my body has "healed"??
From what I began reading after I found out I was lactose intolerant, I realized that we don't really need dairy at all past a certain age and for the most part came to grips with it. I still don't *need* dairy, but its nice to not have to say "no cheese" when I order things now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 22:55

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I had (have) the same problem except that I could eat ice cream but no other dairy. Since going low carb, dairy does not bother me. BUT if I eat high carb, dairy bothers me. I figure it's the combo my body does not like. That and soy.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 00:16

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

It may be the combining of foods that you have an intolerance to, not just one thing. I know for me, I have several issues... that are avoided simply by staying on plan!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 08:16

BF:

I also noticed that if I combine acidic foods with carbs I get heartburn really badly. I had horrible heartburn everyday for about 3 weeks up until last Monday. Now, none at all.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 08:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

No, it means that the "dairy" you are eating is higher in fat then in lactose. That is why it is low carb. The lower the carbs the lower the lactose content of the "dairy".
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 18:44

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Kurt Harris on paleonu.com has suggested that some dairy intolerance may be due to gut inflammation caused by glutens - so that after removing glutens, dairy intolerance goes away.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...bohydrates.html

"I believe casein serving as a molecular mimic to self antigens, and therefore causing autoimmune diseases, mainly occurs in the context of an already leaky gut. So if you do not have Wheat Germ Agglutinin and other grain lectins in your diet, the casein is not likely to leak into your blood stream. Multiple sclerosis may be linked to both gluten grain consumption and milk casein in this way. That is why I believe eliminating gluten grains minimizes the threat of dairy for most people."
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 11:10
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

A lot of people who are gluten intolerant experience a 'secondary' lactose intolerance. Sometimes, it is possible to handle dairy again, once the gluten is out of one's diet. I've even heard of people who use their relative tolerance to dairy foods as an indicator of how well they are doing on their gluten-free diets.

That said, a lot of people who are gluten intolerant are also casein intolerant, which is different than lactose. Lactose is the milk 'sugar', and casein is the 'milk protein'. Casein has a similar structure as gluten - so not everyone who deals with gluten intolerance will be able to handle dairy again.

Gluten damages one's gut - damages the villi in the intestines, and it's these villi that produce lactase, the digestive enzyme needed to break down lactose, the milk sugar in dairy foods.

Meanwhile, casein (milk protein) is also very bad, at least as damaging as gluten can be to those intolerant to it.

Some info:

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.co...eng/peptide.asp

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.co...ides%20Test.pdf
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 12:39

BF:

This is all very very interesting. I had no idea!! Sometimes if I had dairy all by itself I would still bloat up and feel like someone was stabbing me in the stomach, but either way, I don't get that now and I can eat dairy again!! Yay!!
I told my bf about this and even he was surprised. He's learning more and more how bad wheat and gluten is for us, but I'm pretty sure he isn't even close to giving it up.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 14:15

Plan: Prism
Stats: 175/175/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have had many bowel surgeries due to adhesions and have alot less large intestine remaining. My major foods I ate use to be carbs. I have found that now that I don't eat them I also no longer suffer with endless gas and bloating. I have not had a problem with dairy as you feel you have, but I am wondering if people could be mistakenly diagnosed with lactose intolerance and it simply was the overeating of high carb foods that gave them the symptoms they are now lacking.
Brenda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 14:18

BF:

Well whenever I was having gas and bloating and diarrhea from the dairy (because it ONLY happened when I ate dairy), I could eat it with carbs or without carbs and still have the exact same effects. Who knows, though.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 00:15

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

My mother, who followed a strength training program supplemented by a high-protein, low fat diet, often made shakes with skim milk. She never complained of any problem with dairy. I, on the other hand, pretty much stopped drinking fluid milk decades ago, except for the occasional cafe latte.

Back in December I drank a glass of milk, and suffered gas and diarrhea. Like when I eat too many sugar alcohols. But I haven't had any problems with cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt or butter. And when I was a kid I drank milk all the time.

Can your body develop an inability to process lactose if you don't drink milk on a regular basis? (Why can't I drink it now, when I could drink it then?)

#12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: experimenting
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 171cm / 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Here's a simple test to see if you're allergic to the milk sugar- lactose, or the milk protein- casein.

Take natural plain yogourt (that is, no additives whatsoever- just the milk and the bacteria as ingredients), and put some on part of your face like a face mask. If it makes you itchy after a while, it's the protein your skin is actually allergic to. If you don't feel itchy then it could be just you were having problems digesting the lactose before, and if you're having less problems now, then it should be okay to eat some.

That being said, it is not natural for humans to eat the breast products of cows. And lots of toxins are concentrated in products such as cheese and butter because toxins are usually fat-soluble: fat that is transferred to the milk then concentrated. Educate yourself about dairy, then do what you want accordingly for however much you want to incorporate into your diet.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 07:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was told I was lactose intolerant many years ago, but I discovered it's flour and sugar that makes me queasy now.

Perhaps it was always the crackers, and not the cheese!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Celiac disease, which erodes the villi in your intestines, also causes lactose intolerance. Those little villi secrete the lactase which is needed to break down lactose.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 09:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.ajcn.org/content/32/4/779.full.pdf

Quote:
Lactose malabsorption among Masai children of East Africa

You can literally live on milk, be lactose intolerant, and be just fine. Of course, Masai milk is raw or fermented, this will have effects on gut bacteria.