Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:26

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm so sorry as I am a foster mum for a small pooch.

Try giving the little mite lc food plus a few treats that will make him happy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelsie
This is a low carb site for PEOPLE!!! (But I hope your dog gets better)

What's wrong with this nice lady coming here to ask for help with her dog? If this dog is her baby, what wouldn't you do to help your baby if they were sick? I think possibly some compassion and understanding are in order here.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurselisa
What's wrong with this nice lady coming here to ask for help with her dog? If this dog is her baby, what wouldn't you do to help your baby if they were sick? I think possibly some compassion and understanding are in order here.

I missed that......... where does it say it's only for people ?

Pets are gorgeous creatures and there are many of us who are compassionate enough to give a helpful answer to any query regarding a LC diet.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 09:15

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

*scratching my head*

I don't see where it says this site pertains to people only.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: low-to-moderate carb
Stats: 169/157/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I also don't see where this site pertains just to humans. Some of our pets act as if they are human, and I personally don't see how trying a lower-carb diet for an animal wouldn't hurt, as long as the vet ok'ed it, just like a human should get an ok from their MD to try a lower-carb diet, especially if their are other medical issues going on.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:10

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I assume the type of tumor this dog has is fueled by glucose, so they must think that ketosis might help keep it from growing anymore and possibly shrink it. This is not an uncommon recommendation for a person with a glioblastoma or other fast growing tumor, especially of the brain. They tend to really eat glucose.

I was assuming this would be so, in any case. My suggestions however stem from the fact that any malignant or fast growing tumour, particularly by the time prognosis is a couple of months max, will of course be feeding directly off glucose.

However; if this were my pet - or indeed any human family member, especially at this stage of things, I personally would consider it much more important to be including nutritious dietary elements / food items that will also help oxygenate the blood, assist the kidneys in staying strong enough to do their detoxifying and purifying work on their own, and so on.

I would especially pay close attention to this element as the poster has thus far only mentioned cooked food; in everything from her hard boiled eggs to the "recipes" she is searching for.

Unfortuntely, a diet of cooked food only alongside the urine and quark/flax oil intake, and limiting intake to only meat, means that this diet will be severely devoid of any kind of live enzymes, phtytochemicals, hormones, or oxygen. In other words; the food is dead. Minerals, fats, and proteins will also be in a greatly altered molecular state.

As her puppy's body begins to find that it is more "work" to do its usual task of metabolising nutrients, staying strong enough to fight the overtaking cancer cells, kidneys working hard to keep the blood clean, etc etc.... things like helping through nurtition to keep the blood oxygenated etc, will not only be beneficial; but will indeed become of critical importance and support.

Things like a few baby carrots, raw garlic, and a cup of juiced supergreens per day are not the type of carbs that will speed this tumour's growth to the point of any noticeable effect or more deleterious outcome.

Zero-carb has already become a much beloved catchphrase in the pet world as well. Sadly, this is far more a result of the garbage labeled "dog food" and "cat food" which most people buy and are happy to feed their pets. No one, sadly, should be feeding their pets kibble and canned "meat" - expecially not exclusively so, even in the absence of other health problems.

Good luck again with your little one again ... many people here will be thinking of you and wishing you many happy days together

P.S. You could also look into picking up a product called Cell Food. It should be readily available to you at any good health food store. 2-3 drops added to your puppy's water bowl 1x - 2x per day will also be very good.

Best & warmest wishes to you once again
honey
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:24
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quick suggestion:

Make giant-sized meatloaves for your puppy.

Mix up ground beef, ground turkey or ground bison with some leftover cooked or raw pureed/finely chopped vegetables. Just finely chop veggies in a little mini chopper thingie and mix it with the meat. About five pounds worth of meat and a couple of cups of finely diced vegetables - press mixture into a 9x13 casserole/pan and bake at 350F for about an hour or so. When cooled, slice into reasonable portions - put some in fridge and the rest in the freezer. Take a batch of meatloaf slices out of the freezer and put into the fridge to thaw, as needed.

You can even use up stuff like broccoli stalks this way - pulse in the chopper until very fine and add to the meatloaf mixture. If you've had some salmon for dinner and didn't eat the skin - chop that into the meatloaf too.

Dogs love this kind of thing. I remember my vet saying he wanted to move in with me when I told him about the meatloaves.

eta: The large-sized meatloaves for the dog are a real time-saver. You're not constantly buying/making food...just remember to pick up a bulk/family sized package of ground meat when doing your regular grocery shopping. Make the big 'meat loaf', cool, slice, and freeze a bunch for later.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, Feb-19-10 at 11:31.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:36

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
I missed that......... where does it say it's only for people ?

Pets are gorgeous creatures and there are many of us who are compassionate enough to give a helpful answer to any query regarding a LC diet.

I don't remember anything about this being only for people when I registered. I can't believe someone would complain about this when the poor OP is obviously in pain and looking for help. It sort of made me angry that someone would be so insensitive. Yikes!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:40
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I haven't tried this yet, but often thought I'd buy a bunch of large-sized cans of wild Alaska salmon and try giving that to my dog as well. The Bumblebee brand is often available for a great price at Wal-Mart SuperCenter. I'm thinking that straight out of the can would be nice, but that it could also be made into some sort of meatloaf as well (albeit maybe a smaller size).

http://www.bumblebee.com/Products/Family/?Family_ID=2

I've seen the Wild Alaska 14-ounce can of salmon for a bit less than $2 if you shop around (usually Wal-Mart, but my local grocery store puts them on sale often too).
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:56

Stats: 203/193/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Sorry Pinkelsie, but I don't remember seeing anything that says "I Have Friends in Low Carb Places - for People Only". In all actuality, low carb is for anyone or anything that needs this sort of diet. We humans do not have all rights to this sort of eating. I understand what you are saying, and yes, this is an unusual request...but we are here to support everyone if we can.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 12:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurselisa
I don't remember anything about this being only for people when I registered. I can't believe someone would complain about this when the poor OP is obviously in pain and looking for help. It sort of made me angry that someone would be so insensitive. Yikes!

Send them over : to the complaints department.............
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 12:24

Plan: 20 carbs a day.
Stats: 167/167/123 Female Five Foot Two Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

my mom has a diet book for dogs..... I am gonna tell her to find it. My puppies food is all home made because they put dead horse carcuss in dog food ewe.....
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 13:01

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo'sMom
As my name implies, I am not here for myself, nor for weight loss. My beloved 7 year old border collie was diagnosed with an aggressive large untreatable tumor in the middle of her brain, also in her brainstem and pituitary gland. We were sent home with palliative steroids and a no-hope prognosis of 2-4 monthes. She needs to be on a an absoluetly zero carb zero sugar diet with lots of fat and moderate protein, and plenty of omega threes and no omega sixes to have a chance according to the alternative holistic vet. Also all foods must be organic and preservative free and all meat/eggs must be free range/hormone free/antibiotic free. I am also using Budwig treatments, peroxide treatments, and urine therapy and she drinks only purified spring water. She is as of now a happy-go-lucky pup showing no symptoms so please do not suggest euthanasia. I will not let her suffer but I will not give up until she is. So what diet should I put her on, or what should I feed her? I've never looked into diets at all before this so I have no clue. Please help-I can't have kids and this baby is everything to me

Many of us consider our pets to be family members. You are not alone in that.

If you want some real advice feel free to consider what I say below. If you prefer not to consider reality right now, and that would be understandable, don't read the rest of what I write because it is grounded in hard reality.

Warning - harsh reality zone coming up. Do not read unless you are ready to accept it.

I would point out that there is no real evidence that natural, organic, or free range anything is any more healthy than normal food, and in fact often is less healthy. That may seem counterintuitive, but there are a lot of benefits to modern agricultural methods, and one of them is that the food is usually safer (less bacteria, fewer diseased critters, less vermin, etc.).

You might want to get a second opinion from a more traditional vet. I took my dog who was showing signs of distress to an emergency vet clinic one night and they diagnosed her and treated her for something she ended up not actually having. I took her to her regular vet the next day who changed her treatment to something else and she recovered.

i don't mean to pick on you in your time of concern, but if you really believe that giving your dog spring water as opposed to tap water will somehow be helpful, you are not making rational decisions and you need to be in a state of mind where you can make rational decisions to help out your pet.

It sounds to me that the vet is telling you your dog has a few good months left. It might be best to accept that and make your dog's remaining time pleasant. Doing medical experiments on your dog in an attempt to extend its life by a short period of time is not being done for the dog's benefit, and probably won't work anyway. That's just the way things work sometimes.

I am on my fourth beagle now since 1986. I still remember the many fond memories of the previous three beagles. But when their time came, I did the right thing for them (and then I went home to cry).
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

hello, my heart goes out to you as well... (((hugs)))
i am going to go along with most of the posters about the magical benefits of coconut oil..
you may want to find tooter, over on the Dirty Carnivore site .. she's going through the same thing as you are with her dog and giving her dog coconut oil by the spoonfuls.

also would like to put this link to grain free dog food that i highly recommend. Core Wellness. very good pet food.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelsie
This is a low carb site for PEOPLE!!! (But I hope your dog gets better)
pinkelsie, it's not all about diet.. it's about what affects our eating, too.