Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 17:20

Plan: Zero-carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 72"
BF:
Progress:
Default Desperate-matter of life and death

As my name implies, I am not here for myself, nor for weight loss. My beloved 7 year old border collie was diagnosed with an aggressive large untreatable tumor in the middle of her brain, also in her brainstem and pituitary gland. We were sent home with palliative steroids and a no-hope prognosis of 2-4 monthes. She needs to be on a an absoluetly zero carb zero sugar diet with lots of fat and moderate protein, and plenty of omega threes and no omega sixes to have a chance according to the alternative holistic vet. Also all foods must be organic and preservative free and all meat/eggs must be free range/hormone free/antibiotic free. I am also using Budwig treatments, peroxide treatments, and urine therapy and she drinks only purified spring water. She is as of now a happy-go-lucky pup showing no symptoms so please do not suggest euthanasia. I will not let her suffer but I will not give up until she is. So what diet should I put her on, or what should I feed her? I've never looked into diets at all before this so I have no clue. Please help-I can't have kids and this baby is everything to me

Last edited by Oreo'sMom : Thu, Feb-18-10 at 19:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

Hello, my heart goes out to you, I am a kitty mommy and I know how our fury children fill our lives with love. I don't have any advice about the food, I hope someone who does comes along. I will pray for you and oreo.~Darleen.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:17

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

~HUGS~ I have a dog too so I totally understand how you feel!

Zero carb zero sugar should be pretty easy for a dog. You can get grass fed (more expensive but prob. worth it!) meats instead of getting regular stuff at the store. Tropical Traditions website has chicken, turkey, bison, beef and lamb. I did just look and they have organic pet food too.
http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/g...aw_pet_food.htm

How about coconut oil? It is a very good saturated fat to use!! A lot of animals LOVE the taste of it!!

For Omega 3's A lot of dogs will actually eat fish oil capsules, or you can get the liquid stuff to give her. She may just drink it up or you can put it in her food.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:20

BF:

A little info on coconut oil and it's benefits:

Quote:
Some Benefits of Coconut Oil:
Prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, and stroke.

Prevent diabetes and relieve the symptoms and health risks associated with the disease.

Support the development of strong bones and teeth.

Protect against osteoporosis

Promote loss of excess weight

Kill viruses that cause mononucleosis, influenza, hepatitis C, measles,herpes, AIDS and other
illnesses.

Reduce symptoms associated with pancreatitis

Reduce severity of problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.

Relieve symptoms of gallbladder disease.

Relieve symptoms of associated with Crohn's disease,ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.

Relieve pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.

Reduce chronic inflammation

Protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.

Prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay

Prevent premature aging and degenerative disease

Relieve symptoms assoicated with chronic fatigue syndrome

Relieve symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (Prostate enlargement)

Reduce epileptic seizures.

Protect against kidney disease and bladder infections

Prevent liver disease.

Kills bacteria that cause pneumonia, earache, throat infections, dental cavities, food poisoning,
urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, and dozens of other diseases.

Kill fungi and yeast that causes candida, jock itch, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush diaper rash,
and other infections.

Expel or kill tapeworms, lice giardia, and other parasites

Ward of skin infections

Reduce symptoms associated with psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis

Relieve dryness and flaking

Prevent damaging effect of UV radiation from the sun such as wrinkles, sagging skin,and age
spots

Control dandruff.

What Coconut Oil Does Not Do:

Does not increase blood cholesterol level
Does not promote platelet stickiness or blood clot formation
Does not contribute to atherosclerosis or heart disease
Does not contribute weight problems
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:27

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for the great coconut oil suggestion but the Budwig is flax oil (chock-full of omega threes) and cottage cheese and the holistic vet said that even more oil would be potentially too much of a good thing too fast and could lead to pancreatitis or stomach upset as she's now on a diet of cooked meat, omega three enriched hardboiled eggs, and some minimal veggies instead of low-fat kibble (she is overweight, but of course that's completely beside the point right now) I have no problem loving a pudgy puppy, but she can't take any additional drugs so I can't risk the pancreatitis at this point. If anyone is on a zero carb, zero sugar, moderate protein diet I could really use some pointers, but I really appreciate everyone caring too

Last edited by Oreo'sMom : Thu, Feb-18-10 at 19:56.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:36

Stats: 239/185/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 55%

Have you looked into butcher shops that sell the organic meats? my Dad raises our own cows free range and everything you listed above. Ask for a cut that is higher in fats. I know this doesnt help much but I had a cat that had a rare form of lukemia that had to have a diet similar to your dog. He could only eat meat, zero carb, zero sugar which ruled out all regular cat food. I dont know if there is omega sixes in fish oil but I know that fish oil is a good thing for any kind of condition. Its supposed to very helpful in reducing inflamation of the body or organs and it is good for hair and healthy brain function. I man I used to work for is really smart when it comes to dogs...he is a dog rehablitator for severly sick and abused dogs. I will run this by him and see if he has any recomendations.
I am an animal lover with 2 dogs of my own, I know how hard this must be. In the meantime give her tons of love and comfort which you must already do. I will get back to you later when I hear from my friend.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:44

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

I am going to ask a very good friend of mine if she has any ideas... she runs 'Out to pasture farm and rescue'.. it is a rescue for terminaly ill, geriatric, and handicapped animals. If anyone knows the best thing to do for her, she will. Give me till tomarrow afternoon, I will talk to her by then.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:48

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Oreo's Mom- I don't have any better suggestions than the others, but my heart goes out to you and I will also say a prayer for the both of you. That's your baby, and I know you want so badly to help her. Let us know how everything is going.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:56

BF:
Progress:

LC Mermaid-Thank you so much.
PGH Lady74-Thank you! I'm on it! She'll be on coconut oil as soon as she adjusts to the flax
Valerie D24-Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really look foward to hearing from you
DeeCT-I look foward to hearing from you as well and thank you so much!
NurseLisa- I really appreciate it. Thank you!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 20:21

BF:

There is a Zero Carb thread under Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges....

Zero Carb Thread

Maybe post in there and see if someone can help you further.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 20:21

Plan: 20 carbs a day.
Stats: 167/167/123 Female Five Foot Two Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Now I wanna see a picture of this Infamous OREO..... :P
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 21:47

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm just wondering why on earth a terminally ill dog would be put on a zero carb diet?

I am very, very familiar with both low and zero carbing (as they pertain to people and pets), holistic pet care, organic and grass fed food items, the Budwig protocol, peroxide therapy, urine therapy, and dietary and lifestyle choices as they relate to terminal cancer care

I would heartily recommend that you incorporate:

at least a cup of brown rice per day
raw baby carrots, also daily
raw chicken livers, about 2-4, (obviously organic) about 2x week
garlic
raw egg yolks, 1 at a time, at least least 3x week
juiced greens, daily

How are you adjusting the Budwig protocol for your dog's size?
And you are absolutely right, by the way, to not add any additional coconut oil to her intake

Good luck with your little one, and I hope you continue to find much happiness with one another every day
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 00:24

Stats: 276/261/200 Female 63inches
BF:65%/35%/20%
Progress: 20%

Welcome!! My heart go's out to your baby pup I hope you find the help you need soon...Best wishes
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:20

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
I'm just wondering why on earth a terminally ill dog would be put on a zero carb diet?

I assume the type of tumor this dog has is fueled by glucose, so they must think that ketosis might help keep it from growing anymore and possibly shrink it. This is not an uncommon recommendation for a person with a glioblastoma or other fast growing tumor, especially of the brain. They tend to really eat glucose.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

This is a low carb site for PEOPLE!!! (But I hope your dog gets better)