Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 17:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Several of my cousins who eat a medium carb diet and get
lots of exercise(they are farmers) wound up with T2 diabetes.
Arsenic?Sunlight?I don't think so.
T2 inherited by genetics?Probably.
And the world turns...
Eddie

This disease is virtually unheard of where they don't eat grains, sugar, fructose and garbage like us. Genes load the gun, environment pulls the trigger.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: paleo type
Stats: 356/246.6/185 Male 70 inches
BF:23%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
This disease is virtually unheard of where they don't eat grains, sugar, fructose and garbage like us. Genes load the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

Nancy,

No comment on my post? I thought I produced a pretty good example of the true extent of "control" someone would have to show before they should start bragging about a "cure" for Type 2.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 07:07

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I don't think Nancy is bragging.
She is just stating an opinion.
I guess "cure" means something a little different to some of us.
Webster's dictionary has several definitions of the word.
I won't get into that can of worms.
Congratulations on controlling your diabetes,Nancy.
<chuckle>
Eddie
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 07:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
I don't think Nancy is bragging.
She is just stating an opinion.
I guess "cure" means something a little different to some of us.
Webster's dictionary has several definitions of the word.
I won't get into that can of worms.
Congratulations on controlling your diabetes,Nancy.
<chuckle>
Eddie

I don't think she is bragging either as my comment in that direction was actually aimed at my earlier self for thinking I had it under control for a lifetime. But my opinion of what it takes to say "cure" stands.

My intent here is not an attack on Nancy or on her accomplishments, rather to add to the discussion by stating what a Type 2 could try to reach in levels of control. She might feel these standards are too harsh and unnecessary.

Last edited by tuberman : Tue, Feb-02-10 at 07:55.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 10:52
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberman
Nancy,

No comment on my post? I thought I produced a pretty good example of the true extent of "control" someone would have to show before they should start bragging about a "cure" for Type 2.

It's just a semantics thing, you need to read the earlier posts to understand the point the author was making. I don't feel any need to defend the notion to the death. Agree with it, don't agree, it doesn't change anything for anyone it's just a slightly different way to look at what to call a chronic condition where the symptoms go away by removing something.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 07:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Exclamation

Well I will chime in on I believe we learn to control T2 Diabetes with varying degree of success by modifying our diet to lower carbs, more exercise, some meds and occasionally insulin be it basal or bolus.

I think the word "control" is what we achieve not cure.

I would define a cure when someday perhaps someone out there in the medical research field discovers a way to restore Phase I insulin response.

For me this is the tell tale barometer. As a T2 we still have phase II insulin response and we can be prudent and control our disease and keep our A1C in the 5's and if we are really good at it at or below 5.0.

However, we all still have a very definite absence of phase I insulin response.

Thus we learn to control but it is NOT a cure; at least not yet.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 09:00

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi all. Some of you have suggested exercise to get my weight loss going. I have finally brought myself to go to the gym and do the treadmill, either every day, or skipping a day here and there. I have not had any weight loss yet, but then I only started this past week. I went for 3 days, then skipped a day, then went again. Sometimes it is hard to get there every single day. At any rate, if I go for 5 out of 7 days a week, I think that is not too bad. Here is the question I have now. I walk at 65% of my heart rate (to start) for 25 minutes. Do I have to bring that up to a longer time period (30 min. 45 min.?) or go to a 75% of my heart rate? (I think what is meant is 75 percent of my highest rate?) The machine measures all this for me, including my mph (1.6) and my heart rate. I don't find this hard to do. I am 62 years old, 5 ft. tall, and weigh around 160. Thanks for any input. And my carbs are low (between 30 and 50 a day), but I do drink 2 glasses of wine in the evening (cabernet or merlot or shiraz).
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:57
Experimenter

BF:

You should probably ask your questions in a new thread, it'll probably get more notice that way.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 20:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I do believe that Diabetes can be cured. We often think of a cure on an individual basis. But, imagine if I had controlled my blood glucose through diet and efficient amounts of vitamin D then became pregnant. Chances are my children will not contract the disease if they too continued eating in like manner. Then, likewise, their children's protection from diabetes will be even stronger...there's your cure.

Nancy, thanks for your post. I am determined to NOT treat my diabetes with meds. A cure does not come in a medicine bottle.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 09:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
Hi all. Some of you have suggested exercise to get my weight loss going. I have finally brought myself to go to the gym and do the treadmill, either every day, or skipping a day here and there. I have not had any weight loss yet, but then I only started this past week. I went for 3 days, then skipped a day, then went again. Sometimes it is hard to get there every single day. At any rate, if I go for 5 out of 7 days a week, I think that is not too bad. Here is the question I have now. I walk at 65% of my heart rate (to start) for 25 minutes. Do I have to bring that up to a longer time period (30 min. 45 min.?) or go to a 75% of my heart rate? (I think what is meant is 75 percent of my highest rate?) The machine measures all this for me, including my mph (1.6) and my heart rate. I don't find this hard to do. I am 62 years old, 5 ft. tall, and weigh around 160. Thanks for any input. And my carbs are low (between 30 and 50 a day), but I do drink 2 glasses of wine in the evening (cabernet or merlot or shiraz).

Katerina,

Most people have to cut calories as well as exercise to lose weight, only a minority can just exercise it off, although you probably do get some slow moving leaning effects that take too long to notice, but scale weight will hardly move. Tried to PM you but I probably don't have enough posts to allow PMs so I added to your hijack.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 20:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Well I will chime in on I believe we learn to control T2 Diabetes with varying degree of success by modifying our diet to lower carbs, more exercise, some meds and occasionally insulin be it basal or bolus.

I think the word "control" is what we achieve not cure.

I would define a cure when someday perhaps someone out there in the medical research field discovers a way to restore Phase I insulin response.

For me this is the tell tale barometer. As a T2 we still have phase II insulin response and we can be prudent and control our disease and keep our A1C in the 5's and if we are really good at it at or below 5.0.

However, we all still have a very definite absence of phase I insulin response.

Thus we learn to control but it is NOT a cure; at least not yet.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I have been tossing this and other posts around in my head. It did occur to me that if sugar is a poison then diabetes will never be cured. Has nothing to do with meds or what we eat. Sugar is poison and as long as we consume this poison, we will continue to succumb to its ravages. No different from arsenic, chloroform, or crack.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 18:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Nancy, thanks for your post. I am determined to NOT treat my diabetes with meds. A cure does not come in a medicine bottle.
Good luck to you. As for me I've found that sticking to a strict LC die and losing 100 pounds still did not come even *close* to normalizing my blood sugars. My doctor was behind my efforts to do it naturally, but it has not worked, so now I'm on metformin too.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 18:53
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

The book Neanderthin addresses T2 Diabetes and diet pretty well.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 18:25

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I beg to be a Dolphin in my next life, naturally shut off the nightime Diabetes,,,,
But here on earth, age 16, and 89 lbs and type 2 diagnoses after having Strep throat, my Dear Mother ignored til I colapsed. To late so a Virus is my cause, so no matter a low carb, no carb, eat crap, my diabetes has a mind of its own,,,
Why, and how do I control it,,,, I don't believe there is a cure, I think it goes into "hiding" for some.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-10, 06:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

The data in this paper though should make us appreciate the amount of damage that has been done by the time diabetes is diagnosed.
A New Paradigm for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Jenny details how to do your own post-meal blood sugar test here You can pick up a One Touch Ultra Easy blood glucose monitor from EBAY, the strips that come in the box may be nearly out of date but you can also sometimes find a bargain on Ebay. You may also find Get a OneTouch® Meter at no charge :: OneTouch ]makers offer free monitors but I don't know if they would send them to someone who hasn't yet got an official diabetes diagnosis. There are similar offer in the UK for different meters.

My view is that if caught soon enough Type 2 diabetes may be controlled through diet/exercise/lifestyle and supplements to the point that there are no symptoms and no disease progression. But I think for people with the wrong cluster of genes the idea that there is a cure that will enable them to continue to eat modern refined carbohydrates their bodies/genes have not adapted to is unreasonable and unrealistic.
I will always have had polio as a child, the damage that caused will always be with me, the premature early aging that was progressively increasing my level of disability and is called Post Polio Syndrome is driven by inflammation and that can be cured, or at least stopped in it's tracks and to some extent the recent damage rectified, though I doubt I will ever regain control of my bladder.
A similar situation exists in diabetes, the damage to the beta cells and pancreatic function is well established by the time most diabetics are diagnosed and the question is Can the progressive deterioration be stopped? and can some of the most recent damage to pancreatic function be rectified.

I think the attitude I have found on most diabetes forums that insists on accentuating the fact that diabetes is incurable and progression is inevitable is dangerously misleading and counterproductive.

There are a wealth of approaches that MAY enable the body to control glucose metabolism and it should be possible on diabetes forums to provide details of how best and cheapest ways this may be done and provide links to the science that supports these supplementary approaches.

It's sad that most diabetics wish to bury their heads in the sand and make little or no effort to investigate the potential of correcting vitamin D, magnesium, zinc deficiencies etc and actively fight anyone who does seek to provide science based information.