Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 22:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've been thinking about tripe, chitterlings and gizzards. Of course my stepdad was wrong, because wild ruminants hardly eat any grains. But his point is good: eating the digestive tract of an herbivore is the best way to get vegetables.

I bought tripe for my dog once. ONCE. Ewwww! It smells like cow poop!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 11:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

That's funny. I bought tripe for dogs once and ate it myself. I thought it had a bit of a barnyard smell, but I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as cow poop.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 12:19

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

"Well, Jeanne, the fruit today is nothing like the limited fruit that would have been around then, even seasonally. The large granny smith apples, tons of huge bananas, extra sweet berries of today are neolithic foods. Fruit is really just sugar with a few trace vitamins--that you can much easier get elsewhere from meat without the fiber and sugar attached."

well Klowcarb, I am 63, wheat light for 10 years, Gluten free for 5 1/2 years, work & commute is a 12 hour day, work out at the gym, I take no medication, I am healthier than I have ever been in my life, I am allergic to beef, on my maternal side I am U5b1b which is a Sammi - last 12,000 years in Finland, Sweden & Norway, blood type is AB+, father's side has Hemochromatosis a genetic illness from the Celtic people, I am going to continue to eat as I have been.

Everyone is different so unless you are the same as me I would think that you will want to continue eating as you do, the foods that make you the healthiest.
jeanne
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 17:37

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

#50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 17:56

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks Mirrorball. It does confirm that PC IS partly why veg and fruit are the foundation of the Primal pyramid, and he explains why that's ok with him.

Ok with me too but I still don't eat veg much. Since I don't enjoy them and don't believe the conventional wisdom, all that's left is their nutrition and I am ok with just a little of that. Like Barry Groves. It is not the foundation of my pyramid either by volume or by calories.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 22:07
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I liked today's MDA post quite a bit, and it clarified a few things for me.

I misunderstood the 'pyramid'. It was a graphic, meant to represent what things might look like on your plate, and nothing to do with overall caloric breakdown.

Earlier in this thread, I was asking what people thought of making vegetables, and fruit (to a lesser degree) the 'base' of the plan, when really - it was a just a diagram to illustrate how things might look visually, and not a recommendation for 'x carbs', 'x fats' and 'x protein'.

(at myself, for not realizing this in the first place!).
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 23:00

Learning about carnivore diets has given me the freedom to reassess my tastes. As a kid, I was always a "good eater" who ate all his mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, etc. Throughout my adulthood, I claimed to like these things. But when I started hearing about antinutrients - bitterness comes from alkaloids in eggplant and oxalates in spinach - I was able to admit that I don't really like bitter foods.

As for fruits - some of them are surely delicious if you're willing to eat sweet things, but I was only ever barely able to act like I enjoyed eating oranges. Apples were only tolerable in small pieces, and raisins were only good on curry. Anything else with raisins in it was and always will be an abomination.

Other tastes have changed since I gave them up. I used to love onions and garlic, but now I find them nauseating.

I still like salad, mushrooms, broccoli and even brussels sprouts... but I can live without them.

Last edited by capmikee : Wed, Jan-13-10 at 23:08.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 08:51

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

I was reading some Nutritional Anthropology book and it said that hunter-gatherers eat as much meat as they can and as much plant foods as they have to. Most of them do eat quite a bit plant foods though. Their avg vit C is way higher than most civilized areas and so is their potassium and fiber. Also it said something like the avg macro breakdown is 21%fat, 35% protein, 45%carbs (I know it's not 100 but that's what it said). It seems very easy to do this if you follow Cordain's plan and eat lower fat meat and a lot of veggies. Also it mentioned that they know how to pick the sweetest fruits and usually leave the bitter and sour foods alone. Is it really that hard to find sweetness in nature? I wonder if we have been selecting for sweetness for so long if it is possible that fruit even in the wild is palatable and possibly sweet enough to be eaten regularly.

Also what do you guys think about anthocyanins from purple and red foods? Maybe carnivorous eating isn't good because there are some chemicals in plants that help us. I have read about how some of the poisons in plants help kill cancer. Also Bear was carnivorous and he got cancer, and sorry I don't buy that it was the broccoli he ate as a child
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 10:20

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

well, the idea that 'broccoli he ate as a child' is just ludicrous.
why would we have so many on lc forums if we didn't think that the disease process could be turned around?
but back to the ca; acording to what i've read Bears was caused by HPV, a sexually transmitted virus...usually we see cancer in women from this virus.
my bigger question has always been: why did Bear need his arteries reemed...this is not routine.
any of us who live in areas where hunting is common know that game, for the most part is not fatty. and, in fact, peop will add beef/pork fat to the burger, sausage, etc.
there is some evidence on both sides of the vegitation issue and yes, there have always been sweet fruits.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 11:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The H&G's also probably gorged on honey when they found it too. That stuff is fructose city. However, they didn't chug it down daily, like they do in our society.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 21:11

WAPF site is back online. I did a search for "polar bear" and found this:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Letters-Spring-2009.html
Quote:
The toxicity of polar bear liver is not due to its vitamin A content. The Inuit peoples avoid polar bear liver during the winter months when the bears eat lichen, which contains alkaloids poisonous to humans.

FWIW.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 09:57
Experimenter

BF:

Veggies might not be so bad: Luteolin Flavonoid In Celery May Impact Multiple Sclerosis (and Alzheimer's).
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 11:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
WAPF site is back online. I did a search for "polar bear" and found this:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Letters-Spring-2009.html

FWIW.

Polar bear liver is toxic for it's vitamin A content but you have to put it in perspective. Polar bear liver contains over 3 million IUs of vitamin A per 3 oz serving and a range of 15,00-30,000 IUs/gram. That's definitely a toxic amount of vitamin A.

However, no other creature's liver contains that amount of vitamin A. The next largest vitamin A content in liver is that of sperm whale and that, in comparison, contains only 4,400 IU/gram. In contrast, beef liver contains only 3,000 IU of Vitamin A per 4 oz serving and 400 IU/gram.

Another thing to consider. Man-made vitamin A, retinol, is very toxic in comparatively small doses. It takes only 1/10th of the amount of man-made, retiinol, vitamin A versus natural vitamin A, from liver, to produce toxicity.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 11:21
Experimenter

BF:

Hyperlipid has an interesting look at fructose in "a paleo diet". Basically the diet is much higher carb than most of us would eat, so there's lots of fruit and carrot juice. But there was significant improvement in NAFLD (liver) problems in those that had issues.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....d-fructose.html
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 21:36

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Hyperlipid has an interesting look at fructose in "a paleo diet". Basically the diet is much higher carb than most of us would eat, so there's lots of fruit and carrot juice. But there was significant improvement in NAFLD (liver) problems in those that had issues.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....d-fructose.html

I wish there were more studies comparing fruit to isolated sugars. When I did have research access, I found one small study that showed that fiber made a huge different in how much fructose ended up in liver damage zone.