Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 21:53

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default High Protein Diets May Shrink Brain, Boost Risk of Alzheimer'ss

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...Alzheimers.html

Quote:
High protein diets may shrink brain and boost risk of Alzheimer's

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 12:31 AM on 21st October 2009

High-protein diets may shrink the brain as well as the waistline, raising the risk of Alzheimer's disease in later life.

In tests, the brains of mice fed Atkins-like diets, rich in protein and low in carbohydrate, were five per cent lighter than those of other creatures.

Importantly, areas key to memory were underdeveloped.

Although it is unclear if high protein diets have the same effect in people, it is already known that low-fat diets packed with fruit and vegetables, cut the risk of dementia.

The US researchers said that looking at how different nutrients affect human brain health could lead to new ways of staving off the disease that affects 400,000 Britons.

With the number of sufferers expected to double within a generation, any method of cutting the number of cases could have a huge impact on public health.

Sam Gandy, a leading expert on Alzheimer's disease, looked at the effect of various diets, including one high in protein and low in carbohydrate on the brains of mice.

The creatures had been genetically-engineered to make amyloid-beta, the poisonous plaques blamed for brain cell death and memory loss in Alzheimer's.

Those given high-protein foods had lighter brains than other animals, the journal Molecular Neurodegeneration reports.

Interestingly, they did not have more plaques than the other animals.

It is thought that large amounts of protein may make the brain more vulnerable to the poisonous effect of the plaques, speeding up cell death.

Dr Gandy, of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, says research into the effects of protein on people is now vital.

'This would be a challenging undertaking but potentially worthwhile if there is a real chance that the ravages of Alzheimer's disease might be slowed or avoided through healthy eating,' he said.

'Such trials will be required if scientists are ever to make specific recommendations about dietary risks for Alzheimer's disease.

'We know that obesity in middle life can increase the risk of Alzheimer's later even if the excess weight is lost by late life, so we will need to do more experiments in mice and in humans to determine when the "window of vulnerability" might be open.'

The Alzheimer's Society welcomed the research but questioned whether the use of GM mice had skewed the results.

Dr Susanne Sorensen, the charity's head of research, said: 'Further investigation is now needed to better understand whether the way we balance our diet can increase or reduce our vulnerability to Alzheimer's disease.

'It is important to eat a diet rich in fruit, vegetables and fish. People who want to reduce their risk of dementia should also take regular exercise, refrain from smoking and get their blood pressure and cholesterol checked.’

The Atkins diet, which promoted swapping white bread and potatoes for fry-ups and steaks, was followed by three million Britons at the height of its popularity.

However, the eating plan fell out of favour after being dogged by side-effects such as constipation and mood-swings and allegations that it could increase the risk of heart disease and kidney problems.

Dieticians also warned that people find it hard to stick to the restrictive diet plan, quickly putting back on any weight they'd lost.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 00:58

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
With the number of sufferers expected to double within a generation, any method of cutting the number of cases could have a huge impact on public health.

Any method? How about a high fat ketogenic diet. That fits in "any method", doesn't it? I bet it doesn't because as we know, a high fat diet makes us fat and will kill our hearts dead. So really, it's not "any method" that will do, it's "any method that doesn't contradict our views of what a good method should be". Yeah, that kind of "any".
Quote:
The Atkins diet, which promoted swapping white bread and potatoes for fry-ups and steaks, was followed by three million Britons at the height of its popularity.

However, the eating plan fell out of favour after being dogged by side-effects such as constipation and mood-swings and allegations that it could increase the risk of heart disease and kidney problems.

Dieticians also warned that people find it hard to stick to the restrictive diet plan, quickly putting back on any weight they'd lost.

Where the hell did that come from?!? Atkins is not high protein. Unless, ah yes, unless we don't actually know what protein is and use the term to indicate meat. But that can't be. Scientists should know exactly what the term "protein" means and would not be so ignorant to confuse it with the term "meat". Unless, ah yes, unless they are not real scientists. I got a lab coat too.

My sarcasm meter just blew.

Last edited by M Levac : Wed, Oct-21-09 at 20:36.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

"In tests, the brains of mice fed Atkins-like diets, rich in protein and low in carbohydrate"

I thought Atkins was high fat, high protein, low carb. But even then someone would carp that the wrong type of fats were used.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 08:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think Dr. Atkins ever specifically said how much protein or carb to eat.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Interesting to read the comments following the article.
Mostly from people who seem to understand what Atkins is about.

There are many ways in which the mouse brain is fundamentally different from the human brain.
A major factor is difference in astrocytes use and structure

Ketone body synthesis in the brain: possible neuroprotective effects

Medium-Chain Fatty Acids Improve Cognitive Function

Basing the human diet on that of a species that evolved to function best on different foods seems misguided. Our brains evolved to utilize different food groups for different purposes

With mouse models substituting for human diseases, the differences between mouse and human hemoprotein indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) must be recognised before applying experimental findings from one system to the next.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 11:05

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Dr. Atkins said his diet was high-fat. The media called it "high protein" because of the emphasis on meat.

Most reporters are idiots who really don't know what they're talking about. Besides, the idea of a high-fat diet being beneficial would blow their tiny minds.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 11:06

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't think Dr. Atkins ever specifically said how much protein or carb to eat.

I'm assuming you meant "protein or fat", not "protein or carb", right

Atkins is a high-fat diet with moderate protein. I believe Dr. A does say how much percentage calories from fat you should be having (as a guideline) during Induction at least, but I don't have my book so I can't confirm that.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 12:00

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Interesting to read the comments following the article.
Mostly from people who seem to understand what Atkins is about.

Thanks for pointing out the comments, Hutchinson. It's really unusual to see so many low-carb supporters commenting on a story in a main stream source. Really heartening.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 12:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
In tests, the brains of mice fed Atkins-like diets, rich in protein and low in carbohydrate, were five per cent lighter than those of other creatures.

Rats are not tiny humans. Grains are the natural, healthy diet of rodents.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 14:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Well duh ... of course, fat is lighter than protein or water. Fat floats!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 20:46

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

In a recent video, Chris Gardner presents the results of a study on different diets. Note that the diets were barely different in terms of protein content. The high protein diet contained 22%. The low protein diet? 19%. Whatever this study's methods are, they do not reflect actual real life methods. In other words, nobody would normally eat a whole lot of protein unless perhaps they intended to build a lot of muscle in a short time.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...the-mainstream/
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 02:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
In a recent video, Chris Gardner presents the results of a study on different diets. Note that the diets were barely different in terms of protein content. The high protein diet contained 22%. The low protein diet? 19%. Whatever this study's methods are, they do not reflect actual real life methods. In other words, nobody would normally eat a whole lot of protein unless perhaps they intended to build a lot of muscle in a short time.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...the-mainstream/
I thought your comment in the Eades blog was worth reading.
I'm surprised Jimmy Moore didn't remind people of Gardener's reaction to Jimmy's blog on that research.

He made me cross when he was trying to argue that it was the extra water in Atkins that was reducing the calorie intake. If that applies to Atkins it would also apply to Zone which require 8 glasses of water daily.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 02:48

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

Lets's see, mice genetically engineered to develop an aggressive form of Alzheimers went on to develop an aggressive form of Alzheimers - gee that's a shock. If they were destined to develop the disease would it really matter what they were eating, it would have happened regardless. A more interesting study would have been to show which dietary combination actually stopped them developing the disease. My money is on the high fat ketogenic.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 04:14
Registered Member

BF:

Finally got round to putting my comment to the Daily Mail.
Quote:
With mouse models substituting for human diseases, the differences between mouse and humans must be recognised before applying experimental findings from one system to the next.

A search for "Astrocytes Help Separate Man from Mouse" leads to a detailed article explaining the major difference in the nature, structure and metabolism of human astrocytes.

Astocytes produce ketone bodies that are used for neuronal metabolism. Work with epileptics and diabetics suggest astrocyte ketogenesis is neuroprotective.

Astrocytes are 10 times more numerous than neurones in the human brain so ignoring the fundamental difference in Brain structure between mice and men is going to lead to dangerously misleading conclusions.
Same point as a made here earlier but I think it's worth people commenting publicly where they can. The more people publicly support the idea that current dietary research has led us astray in that low fat diets damage our hearts and our brains, the better.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-09, 20:22

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Our voices

Yay, I was one of the pro-fat commenters who got posted on the DailyMail. For all its 'tabloid' reputation, I like the fact that it's so easy to comment and rate comments on that website - gets the popular voice across.