Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 21:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Here's to day 3 down as 'being good'.

I thought that was kind of cute, and I'd have to recommend changing your plan to just that - for fun and for inspiration. A reminder to yourself that this is about feeling good, healing and feeling a whole lot better. Seriously, click on User CP, then 'edit profile' and change your plan to "Being Good". It'll serve as a laugh, and a way to feel really good about what you're doing.

And here's to a major weekend cook-a-thon, so you don't find yourself in these predicaments where it's like 7 or 8pm and you haven't really eaten anything. I'm sending over some steak and grilled asparagus so that cottage cheese isn't the only thing.

Keep it up - you're on the right track.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 07:19

Plan: roughly paleo
Stats: 151/144/128 Female 5'5˝"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I actually like cottage cheese - I'm having it again for breakfast. Two meals in a row is enough, though.

I think it's a little dangerous to get into calling myself "good" or "bad" based on what I eat, so I'll stick to "paleo" as my eating plan. But I am feeling somewhat hopeful that I can do this - with dairy, for now. Down the road...?
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 16:17

Plan: Primal
Stats: -/123/- Female -
BF:?/26%/<22%
Progress:

The perfectionist drive is indeed a difficult thing. In most cases, a little progress is always better than no progress. I have to keep reminding myself: people don't give up on brushing their teeth just because they can't always remember to floss. Can't allow the perfect to become the enemy of the good.

Sending some best wishes your way.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 21:23
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy
I think it's a little dangerous to get into calling myself "good" or "bad" based on what I eat, so I'll stick to "paleo" as my eating plan. But I am feeling somewhat hopeful that I can do this - with dairy, for now. Down the road...?

You make a very good point. Makes sense to me.

I was just suggesting "Being Good" as a lighthearted thing, really. Kind of like how I currently have "Paleo Enough" in my profile. There's no such plan of course, but it's just my way of poking fun at the whole 'situation'.

I once had my plan listed as "PPLP-P-S6". Yep - that was supposed to represent Protein Power Life Plan Purist minus 6 of the most sensitive seven foods.

It's meant in good fun. A way to laugh at the situation.

Hang in there and keep on keeping on
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 22:51

BF:

Once again I have basically fasted most of the day, rather than get off my butt and cook. That is how much I hate cooking. I had cottage cheese with apples and walnuts for breakfast, and I have had nothing since. Now it's midnight. This can't be good. I've got to eat something, and I'm not about to cook a big meal. More cottage cheese? No... I'll have some tuna salad.

I've got to make myself cook. I bought groceries. They're going to go bad.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 22:53

BF:

Augh! I don't have any tuna. Maybe sardines? I hate sardines.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 23:40

BF:

I found a can of salmon. Last time I tried canned salmon, there were so many bones it was inedible. But I seem to have gotten the bones out this time. I mixed it with some mayo and cut up some cukes and red bell pepper. I wouldn't say it's delicious, but it's food.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 07:07

BF:

Now it's breakfast time and suddenly I feel like cooking. I'm making winter squash and chicken. I wish I still had some kale - I'd like a green vegetable. I'll go to the store later.

...Oh wow - I just tasted the unhomogenized grass-fed milk and it's amazingly better than the other stuff!

Last edited by edgy : Thu, Nov-05-09 at 07:13.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 17:32

BF:

I had chicken and squash for breakfast, then chicken salad (with carrot & mayo) for lunch. And then I got carby for dinner - fruit salad with yogurt & granola (just a little granola) then ... um, some chocolate. I really felt like having some chocolate. I'm in my post-chocolate glow now. I swear, that stuff is like heroin.

I can't say I totally regret it - I know my gut would prefer that I keep the carbs down. But at least it wasn't grain (or not too much grain - just a tablespoon or two of granola). Of course, winter squash is a bit carby, too, but it's very paleo.

It may not have been a perfect paleo/low-carb day, but it's still better than I was doing before. I wonder why I love chocolate so much.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 19:09

Plan: Primal
Stats: -/123/- Female -
BF:?/26%/<22%
Progress:

You don't usually need to remove bones from canned salmon, unless you personally dislike them, edgy. The process of cooking them inside the can makes them softened and edible the same way bones in canned sardines are edible. The cooked bones in canned salmon and sardines are a good source of minerals like calcium.

Of course, if you hate them, then by all means pick them out.

Good on you for doing the chicken and squash! Cooking slowly gets easier as it becomes part of your routine. I am by nature a non-cook, too, and for years I've lived on cheeses, yogurt, fruits, sardines and the occasional bread roll or packet of whole-grain crispbread. Sometimes I would buy whole roasted chickens to bring home and just pull pieces of meat from them for supper.

As time has passed, though, I have been doing more cooking. Remember that as with your eating, it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing at first. Even making one or two meals a week at home is a start.

It sounds dumb to say this, but it took me ages to realize that it takes just about as long to roast 4-6 chicken legs for the week as it does to do 2 for the night. These days I know that I can do larger batches at one time, then freeze leftovers (in small portions so they're easier to thaw) if I get tired of eating the same thing.

I am extraordinarily lazy when it comes to things like cooking, so I often won't do anything to meats or what have you beyond the minimum it takes to get them into the oven or the pot. I really mean the minimum. This week I bought chicken wings, opened the packages, patted them dry a little and put them straight into the oven without doing anything else to them. I figured I could deal with that if I wanted to once they were cooked. (I did later season some of them in a batch to eat.)

Same thing with vegetables. If I eat cooked vegetables usually they have to be something I like that can be done very simply; I put frozen or fresh spinach straight into a pot on low heat to heat through, then add butter or something, and salt and pepper. Frozen cauliflower just gets poured into a covered bowl and steamed in the microwave. I tell myself that I can do more to it later if I feel like it. (And I usually do; for some reason it seems less overwhelming to come back to it later, whenever I feel like it, and heat it in a pan with some oil and garlic for a couple minutes; instead of thinking I have to do everything all at once.)

I know that if I don't give myself permission to do the minimum, I might not do it at all, and that would be far worse.

I still do a lot of non-cooking. Like you, I eat a lot of cottage cheese, and yogurt, and I eat a lot of raw veg like celery and tomatoes.

However, now that my baseline minimum cooking effort has become more routine, it has gotten easier to do more ambitious things from time to time. The steps are small — maybe now I'll sauté a clove of garlic or shallot in some butter to add to my otherwise plain spinach with cream and salt.

Anyway, all the best to you.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-09, 22:20
I've decided

I sometimes buy the large can (14.5 ounces) of Wild Alaska salmon and make salmon 'patties' out of it. Take the whole can, plunk into a bowl - add one egg, a smidge of green onion ends or fresh dill if you want (not necessary though). Mix with fork. Form carefully into 4-5 patties on a cutting board, flattening down with a spatula. Cook in a frying pan on medium heat for at least 14 minutes per 'side' before attempting to flip them over (flip to early, and they'll crumble). Make up homemade low carb tartar sauce by mixing up some mayo, dill relish, lemon juice, dry mustard powder in a small bowl.

Delish. Cheap too Fairly easy, except for the fact that you have to make sure you cook the salmon cakes for a good long time on each side. Everything else about it is easy.

Here's a couple of pics:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=70768

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=70768

You don't need to pick out the bones. Just mash or mush them in. Works great, and the softened up bones are actually good for us.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 08:33

BF:

Good morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke
You don't usually need to remove bones from canned salmon, unless you personally dislike them, edgy. The process of cooking them inside the can makes them softened and edible the same way bones in canned sardines are edible. The cooked bones in canned salmon and sardines are a good source of minerals like calcium.

That's interesting! Okay, then I won't worry about it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke
It sounds dumb to say this, but it took me ages to realize that it takes just about as long to roast 4-6 chicken legs for the week as it does to do 2 for the night. These days I know that I can do larger batches at one time, then freeze leftovers (in small portions so they're easier to thaw) if I get tired of eating the same thing.

I used to do that when I lived someplace with a proper kitchen. I used to like broiling chicken - loved the crispy skin. Also, I had a big freezer then. Now I have a combo microwave-convection oven and theoretically it has a broil option but it doesn't really brown things - I can't get that crispy skin anymore. Very sad. Now I usually buy boneless chicken breasts and saute them. I could try roasting, though - that might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I sometimes buy the large can (14.5 ounces) of Wild Alaska salmon and make salmon 'patties' out of it. Take the whole can, plunk into a bowl - add one egg, a smidge of green onion ends or fresh dill if you want (not necessary though). Mix with fork. Form carefully into 4-5 patties on a cutting board, flattening down with a spatula. Cook in a frying pan on medium heat for at least 14 minutes per 'side' before attempting to flip them over (flip to early, and they'll crumble). Make up homemade low carb tartar sauce by mixing up some mayo, dill relish, lemon juice, dry mustard powder in a small bowl.

Delish. Cheap too Fairly easy, except for the fact that you have to make sure you cook the salmon cakes for a good long time on each side. Everything else about it is easy.

That sounds good! And looks good! I'll try that.

I want to start making my own mayo again with walnut oil (to improve the omega-6/omega-3 ratio). It's easy, and much better than the bottled kind.

This morning for breakfast I had some leftover squash with poached eggs on top. This time I didn't overcook the eggs. It was very good. And I had coffee with unhomogenized milk from grassfed cows. The milk is delicious - no comparison with the usual fare.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:21

BF:

For lunch I'm having a portobello mushroom with tomato and parmesan on top. That is something I could easily make myself (and will in the future - I bought a portobello and a tomato), but this one I got in a deli.

Another thing I got today - and I'm very excited about it... fresh tumeric root!! A couple years ago my local organic grocery had it, and I used it in a dish with chicken, cauliflower, and peas. It was delicious. Then later, I found out from my gastroenterologist that tumeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and useful in treating ulcerative colitis - he actually suggested I take tumeric in pill form. When I found that out, I wanted to start cooking with tumeric regularly, but I couldn't find the fresh roots again and the powder just doesn't taste the same. But I'm in New York City - place where you can buy anything - and today I was in the Indian neighborhood (20s on the east side). I found fresh tumeric in an Indian grocery store. I'm looking forward to having it again!

I stopped at another store on my way home to get more ordinary groceries and I forgot the peas, but no big deal. I have kale, and that's lower carb than peas anyway.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:40

BF:

I'm also making the salmon patties that Citruskiss suggested - they are cooking now. I didn't have green onions so I used regular onions.

The kale I bought is so gigantic it doesn't fit in the refrigerator. Hmmm...
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:56

BF:

The salmon patties are delicious! I made tartar sauce with mayo mixed with some real fermented dill pickles (no vinegar). Happy taste buds here. Low carb, high omega-3 - good for my poor, injured gut.