Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 06:36

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Coeliac bone loss link uncovered- BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8295438.stm

Coeliac bone loss link uncovered

People with coeliac disease may be more susceptible to osteoporosis because their own immune system attacks their bone tissue, a study suggests.

Osteoporosis is a known risk of coeliac disease and has been explained by a failure to absorb calcium or vitamin D.

But a study in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests coeliac patients produce antibodies which attack a key protein that maintains bone health.

They could easily be treated with drugs to prevent bone loss, researchers say.

It also explains why osteoporosis in those with the digestive disorder may not respond to calcium and vitamin D.

Coeliac disease is caused by a reaction to gluten, a protein found in wheat, which damage the small finger-like villi that line the small intestine and play a key role in digestion.

When damaged and inflamed, the villi are unable to absorb food properly, causing diarrhoea and malnutrition.

It affects one in 100 people, and of these a significant proportion may go on to develop osteoporosis - a disease of bone that leads to an increased risk of painful and disabling fractures.

Protein clue

Scientists at the University of Edinburgh say it may be a protein called osteoprotegerin which holds the key to the link between coeliac disease and osteoporosis.

Our traditional understanding of its cause has left some people with the condition with little hope that their symptoms and quality of life will improve
Sarah Sleet
Coeliac UK

In 20% of the coeliac patients tested, antibodies were produced which stopped this protein - crucial for maintaining bone strength - from working effectively.

Lead researcher Professor Stuart Ralston from the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, said: "This is a very exciting step forward. Not only have we discovered a new reason to explain why osteoporosis occurs in coeliac disease, but we have also found that it responds very well to drugs that prevent bone tissue removal.

"Testing for these antibodies could make a real and important difference to the lives of people with coeliac disease by alerting us to the risk of osteoporosis and helping us find the correct treatment for them."

Sarah Sleet, head of Coeliac UK said: "Osteoporosis is a damaging complication of coeliac disease and our traditional understanding of its cause has left some people with the condition with little hope that their symptoms and quality of life will improve.

"This new breakthrough in understanding and treatment will give renewed hope to our members struggling with their condition."

Dr Claire Bowring, medical policy officer with the National Osteoporosis Society said: "We already know that coeliac disease is a risk factor for osteoporosis and that early diagnosis and treatment of coeliac disease gives the best chance of improving bone density.

"A better understanding of the relationship between coeliac disease and osteoporosis will enable clinicians to manage both conditions more effectively.

"Although this research is at an early stage it is certainly interesting and we look forward to more extensive work to identify how prevalent this antibody is in people with coeliac disease."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, as usual a really limited description of celiac disease. Celiac disease can be nearly symptomless or it can have symptoms involving other organs than just the intestines.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:53

Plan: MDA
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Why not just take people off grains? Why a drug?

Oh wait, I forgot all about the profit end of it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper47

Most people are as addicted to grains as addicts are to drugs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:45

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper47

There are more and more gluten free products now because of profit, though. Hopefully consumers will be able to take the hint and at least give up on glutenous grains.

Then again my brother knows a girl who, with bleeding guts, multiple surgeries, and hoards of doctors begging her not to eat the dang wheat because it was destroying her body, didn't "know how" to stop putting pizza in her mouth. With such a severe reaction to the grains I have to wonder how severe any addiction aspect must be for her.

Dang, I should ask him if she's still alive.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 11:24
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Some people are suicidal.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 12:23
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
But a study in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests coeliac patients produce antibodies which attack a key protein that maintains bone health.

They could easily be treated with drugs to prevent bone loss, researchers say.

Now - does this mean people with celiac produce these antibodies which attack this key protein, even if they are 100% gluten free?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 12:51
Every moment is NOW.

Must depend on how long those antibodies stay active in the system and in what quantity. Interesting question.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

I would like to know why when you try to tell people with celiac about the connection with Vitamin D they simply don't want to know?

There is some kind of fatalism involved that obliges people with celiac to be ruthless determined to resist any information that enables them to see a means of modifying or ameliorating the impact of the condition. Of course improving vitamin D status isn't going to prevent wheat causing it's impact but once you know that wheat has been depleting your vitamin d reserves you can do something about the vitamin D side of the equation.
You try telling that to celiac.com

Not if you want to get banned

Morons = Celiacs.com
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:34
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Interesting - I take my vitamin D3.

Haven't been tested yet, but will be asking - next time I have a reason to see the doctor.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:34

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
osteoporosis in those with the digestive disorder may not respond to calcium and vitamin D.

Osteoporosis in those without celiac disease responds to calcium and vitamin D? I mean "they" say to take calcium & vit D, but I have the feeling it actually does pretty much nothing wrt osteoporosis. Am I wrong here?

Beth
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:55

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Now - does this mean people with celiac produce these antibodies which attack this key protein, even if they are 100% gluten free?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. I don't think the article mentions avoiding gluten at all.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 14:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1708
Osteoporosis in those without celiac disease responds to calcium and vitamin D? I mean "they" say to take calcium & vit D, but I have the feeling it actually does pretty much nothing wrt osteoporosis. Am I wrong here?

Beth
YES
Your body only absorbs optimum amounts of calcium when your 25(OH)D level is above 80nmol/l 32ng/ml.
Wheat depresses the ability of your body to make vitamin D. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that for some people eating wheat means they have lower levels of 25(OH)D than they would have if they didn't eat wheat.
It could be they make as much D3 BUT use more so their reading are lower.

Whatever it doesn't really matter.
Celiacs have to understand that while MOST people require 1000iu/daily D3 to raise 25(OH)D 10ng =25nmol/l celiacs require 2000iu/daily to achieve the same raise in status.

They need TWICE as much D3 to achieve the same end point.

If you want to get banned from any Celiac forum just try telling them the truth. I suppose they can't help being morons.

You don't usually need to supplement with calcium. Most people who drink milk, eat cheese and veggies will get sufficient calicium. Too much uncontrolled calcium is more trouble than it's worth. Just raising 25(OH)D above 80nmol/l or 32ng/ml will be sufficient for most people to correct low calcium levels.
I find it hard to imagine what people eat who don't get sufficient calcium but as I make my own yoghurt every few days, have a spinach patch outside the back door and also eat plenty of sardines/fish etc I find it hard to imagine everyone is not doing the same.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Thu, Oct-08-09 at 14:18.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 16:26
Every moment is NOW.

Hutch what kind of yogurt do you make? I did it once a long time ago (have a yogurt maker, a yo-cheese strainer, and some starter) but it came out so thin. We had to drown it in sweetzfree and extracts to eat it. Any advice?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 03:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Hutch what kind of yogurt do you make?

Start by getting the yoghurt you are going to use as a starter culture out of the fridge so it gets to room temperature while the yoghurt maker warms up
I use one like this.
but there are several similar I prefer using small jars as they store in the fridge easily and go straight in the dishwasher when used.

I've never used an eaisyo OR jug or flask type system but I know lots of people manage to keep the yoghurt going the traditional way. but I find the small jar system works fine for me.

I take just over a litre of milk and warm it in the microwave for about 4minutes to reach 42-44 ºC = 108-111 F

We have a yoghurt measuring tablespoon with only the lines for the right yoghurt temperature marked so it's easy to see if it's just right. Not very expensive and worth it if you are going to make yoghurt every week as we do.

Then stir in a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk (this makes the yoghurt set a bit thicker)

Then stir in a couple of tablespoons of starter yoghurt from the previous batch or some shop bought live yoghurt. I've also used full fat Greek Yoghurt or a bio yoghurts. Danone do a plain one.

I use quite a bit of yoghurt in cooking (curries) and so want it plain, if you use a flavored bio yoghurt as a starter culture then some of the flavour affects the taste of the new batch.

You then fill up the jars put the lid on. Leave undisturbed for about 3hrs until set.
You will probably find it firms up a bit more after it's been in the fridge a bit.

I have also tried adding the contents of one of these probiotic capsules into the mix as I thought it may improve the range of healthy bacteria in my culture. It seemed to improve the consistency of the end product but as it's always pretty good it's hard to tell.

What I must do is to experiment with using ONLY one of those probiotic capsules to see if it's sufficient on it's own. Will let you know what happens.