Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 18:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

I saw a recent show, he looked thin so I think it was post weight loss. He was making a breakfast. There were plenty of potatos so I am thinking he may not be going too low carb. Or maybe he does not eat what he makes...I wish him the best too. Anything too restrictive is going to be difficult.

anyway I love cooking but am so frustrated with the food network. It is carb city. I used to have to change the channel when the sweets came on, but now I just don't care to watch much.What I can't believe is the meat dishes even are full of carbs-flour, sugar, what not.

I loved George Stella's show. I wish it would come back. I also remember another show he was on-I think another channel-where he helped people lose weight through low carb and exercise. Anyone remember that?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 21:23

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I wonder if he's avoiding specific foods, like sugar, wheat and dairy, as opposed to counting carbs?
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 22:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 260/255/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I LOVE Ina Garten(The Barefoot Contessa), but she has also gained so much weight from her past cookbooks/shows. I really kinda worry about her health, as she is such a kind,sweet soul. She also has a very detailed science background. But I do find alot of great low carb recipes in her books--meats and alot of her veggies are caramelized w/ high temps. Even some of her desserts I modify to be lo carb. She's one helluva cook!!
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 13:14

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I believe I've read that Ina also smokes. I do get some good ideas from her, though. Another one I like for converting recipes to lowcarb is Nigella Lawson. To me, she and Alton Brown are like the yin and yang of food. Only Nigella is better eye candy.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 15:27

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland
I also remember another show he was on-I think another channel-where he helped people lose weight through low carb and exercise. Anyone remember that?

Blaine's Low Carb or something like that. I run across it on fittv when I'm surfing around. He has recipes on the fittv website too, or he used to.

My complaint about both is that they use way too much soy flour and artificial sweetener. They're always trying to make imitation versions of high carb food. I'd be more interested if they made good, real food that just happens to be low carb.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKETOMEK
I LOVE Ina Garten(The Barefoot Contessa), but she has also gained so much weight from her past cookbooks/shows. I really kinda worry about her health, as she is such a kind,sweet soul. She also has a very detailed science background. But I do find alot of great low carb recipes in her books--meats and alot of her veggies are caramelized w/ high temps. Even some of her desserts I modify to be lo carb. She's one helluva cook!!

I just love her. I love listening to her voice, it's so soothing. If I could meet any of them in real life she'd be my choice.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 16:03

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
My complaint about both is that they use way too much soy flour and artificial sweetener. They're always trying to make imitation versions of high carb food. I'd be more interested if they made good, real food that just happens to be low carb.

You just pinpointed what bugged me about Blaine and the Eades program (on PBS). Instead of trying to get people hooked on the idea of lowcarb versions of high-carb treats, they should have a show where someone demonstrates how to roast a really good chicken, the right way to cook a steak, even basic things like making a good batch of chicken salad or how to make homemade mayo.

I think a lot of people who are intimidating by the 'cooking' factor of lowcarb are that way because they never learned basics.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
... they should have a show where someone demonstrates how to roast a really good chicken, the right way to cook a steak, even basic things like making a good batch of chicken salad or how to make homemade mayo.

I think a lot of people who are intimidating by the 'cooking' factor of lowcarb are that way because they never learned basics.

Even beyond the low carb world ... the whole country. IMO, that accounts for most of the health care crisis more than how the bills get paid. People who are raised on traditional foods all around the world don't get fat, even when those traditional foods contain unprocessed carbs.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Man, if hes done it Low carb, then he totally owes the LC community a shout out. I got to where I couldnt watch his show, it was all hot pocket pies and breads and such. Wow, looks great. Cant eat it. Thanks for reminding me Im not like most humans.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 12:35

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

peop around the world raised on traditional food, infact do get fat....maybe not obese, but fat, for sure.
this is especially true in women and it usually doesn't happen until adulthood.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 15:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 286/168/- Male 5'7
BF:almost.
Progress: 121%

Good Eats is an awesome show. Lots of good recipes and Alton seems like a cool guy.

As to the low carb eggplant thing, I'd assume he realized there are much less calories in a serving of shredded up eggplant versus the noodles - in general carbs are very calorie laden. Protein vegetables etc are the way to go.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 18:03

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Last night on Good Eats, Alton explained his "diet" that he used to lose the 50 lbs. Of course, he said he's using the word diet in the old fashioned sense, meaning a way of eating.

Had several lists of rules---Things to Eat Daily (I think), Things to eat 5X per week, Things to Eat 3x per Week (fatty fish and sweet potatoes were on here), Things to Eat 1x per Week (red meat, alcohol, and dessert were on this list), Things to Eat 0x per Week (soda, artificial sweeteners). And eat Breakfast every day.

I wish I could remember all the lists---I haven't found them online yet. But, I'm with Alton, even though I'll eat red meat more than once per week, I need a "live it" plan, not a diet. I'm having such a hard time staying on a strict sugar-free diet.

Did anyone else see it?
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 19:20

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

alton's list

hope that works. i googled it and got a facebook fan page.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 19:43

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

go to youtube and search alton brown diet. you'll see the live and let diet parts. fun to watch as usual....
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 19:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
Did anyone else see it?

My husband recorded it for me. A smoothie in the morning would just spike my blood sugar making me starving in no time and I'm still unsure about soy (phytoestrogens n all) His nut recipe looked quite yummy though!

I'm still unsure if that book was real or fake

My opinion, sure, it could work and it would probably work best for men since my husband could make a few better choices while not being strict and still lose weight.