Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 08:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Regular Aerobic Exercise Improves Fatty Liver

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90909095104.htm

Just another study showing specific healthy effects of exercise - without necessarily requiring weight loss to obtain benefits. This lowers risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and was shown to lead to a decrease in fatty liver ( actually visceral adipose tissue (VAT) was what was stated to be one of the things measured.).

Quote:
Science News

Regular Aerobic Exercise Reduces Health Concerns Associated With Fatty Liver

ScienceDaily (Sep. 9, 2009) — Researchers from the University of Sydney, Australia determined that patients with a sedentary lifestyle who engage in routine physical activities lower their risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). The lower risk of problems associated with fatty liver was not contingent upon weight loss, but a direct result from the increased aerobic exercise.

The results of this study are published in the October issue of Hepatology, a journal of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease affects 30% of the adult population and the majority of obese individuals. The condition, where fat accumulates in the liver of those people who drink little or no alcohol, can cause inflammation or scarring of the liver with more serious cases, known as nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, possibly progressing to liver failure.

A study, led by Jacob George, M.D. from Westmead Hospital at the University of Sydney, included 19 obese adults who had a body mass index >30 kg/m2 and reported a sedentary lifestyle. Baseline measurements were performed to determine hepatic triglyceride concentration (HTGC) and hepatic lipid saturation index (SI), intramyocellular triglyceride (IMTG) levels, visceral adipose tissue (VAT) or amount of fat stores in the abdomen, cardiorespiratory fitness, blood biochemistry, and measurements for body height and weight. Volunteers either received 4 weeks of aerobic cycling exercise (12 subjects) or a placebo (7 participants), which involved regular stretching.

At the end of the 4-week period, measurements were again taken from each participant. Body weight and body mass index (BMI) remained unchanged, but cardiorespiratory fitness significantly improved in the exercise group versus placebo. Researchers noted a 21% reduction of HTGC and 12% VAT volume in those participants who were subject to regular exercise. "Our data provides the first direct experimental evidence that regular aerobic exercise reduces fatty liver in obesity without concurrent changes in body weight or abdominal fat," explained researchers.

Individuals who are obese are at risk for a number of cardiovascular and metabolic health concerns, including heart disease and diabetes. "Our observation of the beneficial effect of regular exercise itself on liver and abdominal fat should refocus the debate on the role of physical activity in the prevention and management of obesity and NAFLD," concluded Dr. George. Past studies have shown that exercise adherence appears to be more sustainable over time than weight loss. "Further studies of the long-term benefit of routine physical activity on lowering HTGC and its impact on obesity and NAFLD should be explored," recommended Dr. George.

Journal reference:

1. A. Johnson, Toos Sachinwalla, David W. Walton, Kate Smith, Ashley Armstrong, Martin W. Thompson, Jacob George. Aerobic exercise training reduces hepatic and visceral lipids in obese individuals without weight loss. Hepatology, 2009; NA DOI: 10.1002/hep.23129

Last edited by Rosebud : Wed, Jun-27-12 at 21:00. Reason: To add the link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 08:47
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thanks for posting that, very interesting!

I always wonder what part of exercise matters though.

Actual movement of internal organs? (Seriously. Ask coroners -- joggers are juggled inside. Maybe exercise 'of the liver' is more at issue than exercise of the rest of you. Would lying on a vibrating bed help?)

Increase of oxygenation? (Would oxygen therapy, or yoga, have benefits as well?)

Increase of blood flow? (Would a warm compress over the liver have benefits as well?)

What mysterious and cosmic part of exercise is the helpful part I wonder? I always wonder why I don't see that question asked actually.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 09:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If I were to guess I'd vote for improving insulin resistance. Your muscles, and fat tissue, become more sensitive to insulin so they're better able to soak up excess glucose so it won't be stored as fat in the liver.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

I always wonder what part of exercise matters though.

Actual movement of internal organs?
Increase of oxygenation?
Increase of blood flow?

What mysterious and cosmic part of exercise is the helpful part I wonder? I always wonder why I don't see that question asked actually.

Actually, it is an excellent question, now that you have mentioned it. And it has practical importance, as well.

It would fall into real science, however, and evidently that isn't a tremendously large part of the exercise game. Unfortunate.

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

VAT is visceral adipose tissue, the internal fat that infiltrates and coats the abdominal organs. A 12% reduction but no weight loss suggests, as Taubes argues, that increased activity increases appetite. So was sq fat increased? VAT has much more blood supply and higher levels of body heat compared with sq fat. So the body could use that for energy more easily than peripheral sq fat.

Eades mentioned a test for VAT is to measure torso girth while standing then again while lying down.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 11:03

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Also exercise is the only thing that moves lymph. Not a good thing to have backed up.

There is a ton of research about how aerobic exercise works and what it does.
I really enjoyed reading the physiology about it.

It does increase the uptake of oxygen, in more than one way. Like making the arteries more expandable and mitochondria more numerous and capillarity better and helping the heart be a better pump.

Doesn't have to be high level either. The low level will work it just takes more time for the same level of improvement.