Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 06:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

All I know, really, is that when I eat a high carbohydrate diet, I have to eat fewer calories to maintain my weight than I need to lose weight on a high fat, low carbohydrate diet. I doubt that I (and other people on this forum) are freaks of nature and in constant violation of the rules of thermodynamics. I'll have to dig around and find that study done -- on people, no less -- a few years ago that showed that people on a higher calorie, low carbohydrate diet lost more weight than people on a low calorie diet.

Lots of information on this in Good Calories, Bad Calories.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 06:19

Plan: My own.
Stats: 308/165/140 Male 175cm / 5"9
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
All I know, really, is that when I eat a high carbohydrate diet, I have to eat fewer calories to maintain my weight than I need to lose weight on a high fat, low carbohydrate diet. I doubt that I (and other people on this forum) are freaks of nature and in constant violation of the rules of thermodynamics. I'll have to dig around and find that study done -- on people, no less -- a few years ago that showed that people on a higher calorie, low carbohydrate diet lost more weight than people on a low calorie diet.

And this is after you gained the water weight back from low carbing?
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 06:25

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLuthor
I am not talking about macronutrients.

Now you tell us?!? But, that's the topic!
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 06:27

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I wonder how many women in that study that Eades quotes have PCOS. That would definitely change things as PCOS causes a low metabolic rate/low temps and a low carb diet reduces symptoms of PCOS. I know it says healthy women, but I wonder if they tested for it.

Maybe the metabolic advantage is just about fixing metabolic problems (as Matador pointed out about IR).
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 08:29

Plan: Personalized
Stats: 190/178/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I think this guy knows a little about the subject of weightloss and the laws of thermodynamics . . . http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-weight-loss/

/shrug. There haven't been years of empirical evidence showing that calories in = calories out. If it turns out not to be true, that doesn't invalidate the laws of thermodynamics -- it just shows a poor understanding of how our bodies use the fuel that we take in.

Edit to add: It is pretty obvious that our bodies process different calories in different ways. And it also is pretty obvious that different people process those same calories in different ways. So there is a lot more to the story than "calories in = calories out" but either no one wants to admit their ignorance on this or most are afraid to step away from the party line (sorry about mixing my metaphors but it's late).

I have a feeling I'm going to regret stepping into this one

Appeal to authority. Plus Eades has a clear slant on the issue to try and salvage his untenable claims. Even Eades admits that calories matter.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 08:35

BF:
Progress:

Quote:

How do you know for sure? Lower carb eating (or more likely, higher protein) keeps you more satiated leading to lower caloric consumption.... magic

Please produce that study - I hope that it was a study that had very reliable method of determining energy intake/expenditure.

As for GCBC - lots of information indeed - but much of it is cherry-picked data to support GT's untenable claims.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 08:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
All observation is first-person accounts. What distinguishes between science and anecdotal evidence is the number of witnesses. Furthermore, no two perspectives are exactly the same therefore cannot confirm each other. What binds all this together is our faith. That's it. Either accept the accounts as plausible and test them yourself, or dismiss them outright and forever remain in blissful satisfied ignorance.

This is the distinction that many of the LCT falter. It is one thing to say that the existence of an MA is PLAUSIBLE. It is quite another to suggest it exists outright or even to suggest it is "likely" in the face of evidence that has consistently shown otherwise.

Suggesting that MA is real without producing evidence of such is misleading and irresponsible. You can peek at the original link to the heated debate and you will see the same red herrings, appeals to authority and shifting the burden of proof fallacies from Fred.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 08:56

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Scars, why do you care about this?
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars

As for GCBC - lots of information indeed - but much of it is cherry-picked data to support GT's untenable claims.

Which claims are untenable? Has anyone written a rebuttal or shown which data he left out? I am not saying he's right if no one has, but I've heard so many critics use the cherry pick phrase, but the only time I've had someone bring up data he supposedly ignored, they mentioned studies he actually addressed.

As much as I am a Taubes supporter, I would love to see a rebuttal that was based upon research and not ideology.

Quote:
This is the distinction that many of the LCT falter. It is one thing to say that the existence of an MA is PLAUSIBLE. It is quite another to suggest it exists outright or even to suggest it is "likely" in the face of evidence that has consistently shown otherwise.

I don't think that you'll find many (if any) low carb proponents who will claim you can eat all the calories you can physically consume and lose weight on low carb. And I think there is a difference when you add the "want" factor in.

I think metabolic advantage is the last thing low carbers should be looking at as justification for low carb. If it exists and it's not just about fixing what's disordered in certain people, there are so many other stronger benefits to low carb.

I could give a crap less about eating another 200 or 300 calories a day as long as I don't feel deprived.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador
And this is after you gained the water weight back from low carbing?

Well, what I was saying is that when I ate a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet, aside from being miserable, I couldnt eat more than 1500 calories a day or else I'd gain weight. On a low-carbohydrate diet, I eat between 1800-2200 calories a day and I lose weight.

Obviously, there's something a bit more complicated at play than calories in/calories out.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:31

BF:

Quote:
Well, what I was saying is that when I ate a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet, aside from being miserable, I couldnt eat more than 1500 calories a day or else I'd gain weight. On a low-carbohydrate diet, I eat between 1800-2200 calories a day and I lose weight.

Obviously, there's something a bit more complicated at play than calories in/calories out.

Edit to add: There is no one more conscientious of calories than a dieter. Since I've lost almost 50 pounds, I seriously doubt this is just water weight loss.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:35

BF:

Quote:
How do you know for sure? Lower carb eating (or more likely, higher protein) keeps you more satiated leading to lower caloric consumption.... magic

Please produce that study - I hope that it was a study that had very reliable method of determining energy intake/expenditure.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2004/05/...ow-fat-diet.htm

And what data refutes what Taubes reported? I've seen that complaint in one other place, but without cites there either. You'd think if there was this mountain of evidence that Taubes ignored, that mountain of evidence would be used by his critics (of which he has many). Usually the attacks I see on Taubes are ad hominen.

Edit to add: http://www.annals.org/cgi/reprint/140/10/769.pdf so it's not just a news blurb.

Last edited by tiredangel : Wed, Sep-02-09 at 09:48.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:36

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
All What binds all this together is our faith. That's it.

Au contraire mon amis.....

From my singular observation; "our faith" is what seems to be keeping a few of you apart.

"Birds of a feather, flock together".... that would be a fair analogy of the faith I've observed in this old argument that seems to have no resolution.

This thread however, does make for good entertainment..... so, thanks...
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:45

Quote:

Quote:
The low-carbohydrate group was permitted daily unlimited amounts of animal foods (meat, fowl, fish and shellfish); unlimited eggs; 4 oz. of hard cheese; two cups of salad vegetables such as lettuce, spinach or celery; and one cup of low-carbohydrate vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower or squash. They also received daily nutritional supplements recommended by Atkins -- a multivitamin, essential oils, a diet formulation and chromium picolinate. There were no restrictions on total calories, but carbohydrates were kept below 20 grams per day at the start of the diet. The low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-calorie group followed a diet consisting of less than 30 percent of daily caloric intake from fat; less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fat; and less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol daily. They were also advised to cut back on calories. The recommended daily calorie level was 500 to 1,000 calories less than the participant's maintenance diet -- the calories needed to maintain current weight.

The problem with that study is that it could mean that there is a metabolic advantage or it could meant that people eat less on low carbs.

You have to really control everything. Same metabolic rates. Same activity levels. Same calories. Or all these have to be adjusted. A lot of these studies that compare diets are not really comparing calorie to calorie.

They do show low carb's promise to people who want to lose weight and want to improve their health.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-09, 09:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
The problem with that study is that it could mean that there is a metabolic advantage or it could meant that people eat less on low carbs.

You have to really control everything. Same metabolic rates. Same activity levels. Same calories. Or all these have to be adjusted. A lot of these studies that compare diets are not really comparing calorie to calorie.

They do show low carb's promise to people who want to lose weight and want to improve their health.

Hmmmm, that's not the study that had people on a higher calorie low carb diet? I thought it was from 2004. I'll double check this.