Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 00:42

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I like exercising because it gives me a "high" and it makes my legs shapely (the rest of me has too much fat to see any muscle structure, so I'm not sure whether it makes anything else shapely!)

But as for a "calories in versus calories out" mode of weight loss, it's a ridiculous concept. It would take me about 45 minutes of intense exercise to burn 300 calories.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 01:22

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 86%

anytime i find this information and send it to someone they won't even read it, and chastise me for deciding not to workout hardcore. When I first started my diet, i was working out a lot, but found my weightloss to go a lot better when i didn't work by ass off. When im finding my results very slow, I do controls, one of which was exercising hard for 5 days straight. Mostly Cardio, some sports, and a little bit of weight lifting. To my dismay at the the week I had actually gained 5lbs whilst sticking to VLC and IF in between the days. I just didn't understand what the deal was. Right now my focus is to lose the weight and then I can build the muscle when im comfortable with where I'm at. People always assume im being extremely active and thats why im losing but to be honest, its because of how good I am with self control. Mind you, I do splurge on vacation, but of course I would! 0 Carbs is definitely sustainable, and easy at that! The only time you'll see carbs going into me is when im eating a salad! Also being in ketosis definitely helps! Trying to not have any sugar whatsoever now!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 13:45
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

ABC just picked up on the Time article. People don't like it one bit chipping away at the "just diet and exercise" dogma

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHe...=8297625&page=1
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 14:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Because rodents have a lot of brown fat, it's very difficult to make them obese, even when you force-feed them in labs. But humans — we're pathetic. We have so little brown fat that researchers didn't even report its existence in adults until earlier this year.

Hmm, statements like this, though, make me wonder how deeply the author of the article actually did research. I mean I'm not a scientist or anything, but I first learned about "Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT)" in humans from reading Adiposity 101' back in the 1997-98 time frame, though it did say that its existence decreased with age.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 09:20
Grease is the word!

Thumbs up There's an App for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvannaBFit
But as for a "calories in versus calories out" mode of weight loss, it's a ridiculous concept. It would take me about 45 minutes of intense exercise to burn 300 calories.
Walking for 12 minutes or rock climbing for 7 only burns off one bannana!

http://www.jeremy-knight.com/calorie_calculator/

http://www.appsafari.com/?s=calorie

iPhone PC:http://www.testiphone.com/

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Aug-12-09 at 09:55. Reason: link
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Hmm, statements like this, though, make me wonder how deeply the author of the article actually did research. I mean I'm not a scientist or anything, but I first learned about "Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT)" in humans from reading Adiposity 101' back in the 1997-98 time frame, though it did say that its existence decreased with age.

I know what you mean! I read that too. And then last year they started trumpeting about brown fat in adults like it was a new thing and I thought... this is dopey, they already knew this.

Maybe next year "they" will "discover" that low carb diets are good for you!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 10:10
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Walking for 12 minutes or rock climbing for 7 only burns off one bannana!

But wait, it's even worse than that. This is a quote from the book "Shape Up" by Jonny Bowden:

Quote:
When I taught personal training at New York's Equinox Fitness Clubs, we had an exercise physiology lab that contained an apparatus called a metabolic cart. You would get on a treadmill and put on a mask attached to a computer that would measure your oxygen intake and your carbon dioxide output at different levels of exercise intensity. Then the computer would calculate your caloric expenditure as you exercised. The individual variations were absolutely astonishing, and they would often vary enormously from what the standard equations would predict.

Suppose I rented a car in Los Angeles and wanted to buy just enough gas to get to San Diego. The distance is 120 miles. If I fill the tank and only use 1/3 of it, there's no refund and I will have wasted money, so I want to get an idea of how much gas to buy. Think about it for a minute and see if you can guess the answer to this question: How many gallons should I purchase?

...There's no correct answer unless you have one missing critical piece of information, which I didn't give you. Before you can answer the question of how many gallons of gas I need, you have to answer another question: What kind of car did I rent?

If I rented a jeep I met get only ten miles to the gallon, but if I rented a Volkswagon I might get thirty. And it's the same thing with calories. ... we are all metabolically unique.

So the whole idea of "how many calories you burn per hour" is actually as wrong as the whole "how many calories you eat = how much you weight" concept. It's different for everyone and, I'd be willing to bet that the people with the low vs. high metabolism would be burning off fewer vs. more calories from the same exercise -- even when it was harder for them.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 12:29
Grease is the word!

Well, then I must be a slow burner I can hike hard for three hours a day -- eat the same -- and not lose a pound unless its due to dehydration
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 12:49

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

You're a Prius or Chevy Volt. Greener than the average eater.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

The article esentially says exercise does not cause weight loss. One of the experts interviewed and quoted in the article now says he was sandbagged, his statements taken out of context. In a Denver radio show interview he now says exercise is crucial for weight loss. He says people who took off a lot of weight and kept it off for two years did so with exercise. The interview is short and starts about 6 minutes into the show.

http://www.850koa.com/pages/cmn.html
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 15:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi Nancy,
Quote:
And the other thing is that the value of muscles as being amazing calorie burners has been hugely over hyped for so many years.

I thought this was one of the advantages of a leaner body/lower BF%. Could you elaborate on your comment?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 16:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Following up on DoctorK's message: The interview is from the podcast of Thursday 08-13-09, 8AM Hour.

It would be interesting if there was a softcopy of the interview transcript available. I listened to the interview, and from what I can remember, Church made the following points about the details of the study that were omitted from the article:
  • In the two groups of women that exercised 75 or 150 min./wk, the weight loss was what was expected/hypothesized.
  • In the group of women that exercised 200 min./wk., there were a number of women who barely lost anything, defying predictions, and skewing the results for that group to losing only half of what was expected.
  • The variation of weight loss in response to exercise is to be expected.
  • Recommending against PE classes for children, as the article author did, is completely insane.

I think Church loses some credibility, though, when he asserted, essentially, that correlation is causation, i.e., studies show that people who keep off weight 18-24 months all exercise. Further, when pressed by the interviewers, he stated that eating more was the cause of our increase in obesity rates.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Fri, Aug-14-09 at 16:15.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 17:15

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvannaBFit

Ohhh the amount of times I have heard that! I was asking a question on yahoo answers the other week and the majority of replies I got was "it's simple to lose weight, just burn off more calories than you consume"... erm what the?!

Ok, so, even I eat a stupid 1200 calories a day do you know how much HARD work that would take at the gym? and I would have to do that EVERYDAY!

I know they're probably not acurate... but I was on a stationary bike at my gym. I was on it for 15 mins and burned about 75 calories, if that... so, how long would I have to spend in the damn gym to burn off 1200+ calories daily!

But anyway, talking of exercise... I have to do it otherwise my weight does not go down, if anything I go up. If I do exercise at least 3 times a week my scales move down, my clothes get looser etc. I did low carb with 0 exercise for 6 weeks and lost 2lbs and not change in inches.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 18:18
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
so, how long would I have to spend in the damn gym to burn off 1200+ calories daily!
You don't need to exercise away all your daily allotment of calories (you use 1200/day even at rest). If I do the math with the standard rule of thumb formula: 161 goal wt X 12 = 1932 + 225 = 2157 means you should be able to eat ~2157 clories per day provided you burn 225 in the gym (or eat 2 less bananas a day). That works out to about 1000 calories per meal if you only eat 2 meals a day and a snack like I do. No need to starve or wear yourself out. I probably burn 400 calories a day exercising and eat ~2,200 calories, but I stay the same weight

Some say you continue to burn even more calories for 4 hours after you stop exercising. Maybe if weight lifting? I am not convinced of that though it sounds good.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 17:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

This aritcle is being discussed a lot now...here is a good blog on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Baye Blog
Diet is by far the most important factor in weight loss. Exercise, or physical activity in general, do not burn enough calories to be worth doing for that purpose, hardly enough to make a significant difference in energy balance alone. As I’ve stated previously, the proper role of exercise in a fat loss program is the maintenance of muscle while fat is lost, which can only be effectively accomplished with strength training, and the amount of weekly strength training required for this is far less than most believe

more here:
http://baye.com/american-college-of...gazine-article/