Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 10:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Bariatric Surgery: Bad To The Bone

Quote:
Bad news for the bariatric-surgery industry: a Mayo clinic study released this week suggests that people who’ve undergone weight-loss surgery are more likely to break their bones. Here’s the first paragraph from the wire story: It isn’t just the thunder thighs that shrink after obesity surgery. Melting fat somehow thins bones, too. Doctors don’t yet know how likely patients’ bones are to thin enough to break in the years after surgery. But one of the first attempts to tell suggests they might have twice the average person’s risk, and be even more likely to break a hand or foot.

Given how aggressively the bariatric centers are promoting these procedures, I suspect they’ll put a good spin on this. Pretty soon we’ll be seeing ads that read:

“The last time Mary Blarch broke her pelvis, she spent five miserable months in a size-24 cast. But after shattering both legs in the year following her gastic bypass procedure, she’s practically swimming in her size-6 cast. She only wishes there was more room for people to write their ‘get well’ messages on the plaster!”

More here

Great quote:
Quote:
So there you are, standing at the toilet, flushing and cursing and flushing and cursing and frothing at the mouth and risking a wrist fracture from all that yanking on the handle with your brittle bones, but your last meal insists on floating atop the water like a gang of pale, bulky, malodorous fishing bobbers. Sure, there are other options besides flushing, but they’re not pretty, even if you believe in composting. And to make matters worse, there are oil droplets floating around the bobbers. Best remember not to toss a burning cigarette butt into the bowl.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 12:58

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks Nancy, see below for how the BBC is reporting it.

Note the casual dismissal of the doubled risk of fractures by Dr David Haslam, of the National Obesity Forum.
Compare and contrast to the constantly repeated false allegation that low-carb is dangerous because it lowers bone density.
Also consider that if reduced Vitamin D absorption can have this affect on bones, what else is getting broken that is not so obvious as a broken bone?

It seems that bariatric surgery (which I think should be called "intentional abdominal mutilation") will be presumed safe until it is proved dangerous. Whereas for some unknown reason low-carb is subjected to an opposite standard of proof, and is presumed dangerous until proved safe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8091014.stm
Obesity ops 'raise fracture risk'

Obesity increases the risk of conditions such as cancer and diabetes

People who have obesity operations, such as gastric bypasses or banding, double their risk of suffering fractures, US research suggests.

Researchers for the Mayo Clinic in the US reviewed nearly 100 surgical cases spanning 21 years for their study.

They found a fifth of patients suffered fractures - twice the rate typical for their age - with most breaks occurring in the bones of the hands and feet.

The findings will be presented at the Endocrine Society Annual Meeting.

In the study, 21 individuals experienced 31 fractures within an average of seven years after their weight loss or bariatric surgery.

The results of our study show that patients who have had bariatric surgery have a two-fold risk in developing a fracture or sustaining a fracture as compared to the normal population
Lead author Dr Elizabeth Haglind

While most breaks were in the hands and feet, fractures of the hip, spine and upper arm bone - the humerus - were also reported.

Experts already know that there is extensive bone turnover and loss of bone density after bariatric surgery, but it was unclear whether that translated to fractures.

Lead author Dr Elizabeth Haglind said: "We've shown that risk of fractures after this type of weight-loss surgery is clinically significant.

"The results of our study show that patients who have had bariatric surgery have a two-fold risk in developing a fracture or sustaining a fracture as compared to the normal population."

Bone health

She said more research was needed to confirm the findings and understand the specific risk factors and mechanisms involved.

Both obesity and weight-loss surgery are known to affect bone health.

Chronic vitamin D deficiency and inadequate calcium intake are common with obesity, and bariatric surgery poses a risk owing to malabsorption and decreased oral intake.

Dr David Haslam, of the National Obesity Forum, said although bariatric surgery might increase future fracture risk, this risk was likely to be far outweighed by the health benefits of the surgery in terms of reduction in weight and obesity-related conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

"For these reasons, the increase in risk is probably not worth worrying about. But we do need more study."
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

National Obesity Forum
An independent charity, working to improve the prevention and management of obesity.
Website funded by educational grants from

Abbott Laboratories

Canderel

Roche

Sanofi-Aventis Ltd.

MeatandHealth.com
Sandy Szwarc did a piece on them a while back.
War on obesity a success in England, but not for England

Our Partners
The National Obesity Forum is an independent professional organisation. We are however delighted to acknowledge the support, both professional and financial, of other organisations, without which, the work of the NOF would not be possible. In pursuing our aims we have been assisted by, or worked jointly with the following organisations:

All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity
Department of Health
National Institute of Clinical Excellence
Royal College of Paediatricians
Association for the Study of Obesity
National Audit Office
Korean Academy of Family Physicians
National Association of Primary Care
Roche Products Ltd
Abbott Laboratories
Slim Fast Foods Ltd
Safeway Foods plc
Tanita UK Ltd
Sanofi-Aventis Ltd
Mantis Surgical Equipment Ltd Now who can guess what they sell?
GlaxoSmithKline UK Ltd
Canderel
British Meat Nutrition Education Services
Rosemary Conley Enterprises
Carlton TV Ltd
The Obesity Awareness and Solutions Trust

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Jun-16-09 at 14:12.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 15:07

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Well, gosh darn now, they're gonna have to change to old lymerick, "sticks and stone will break my bones......" to something else.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 21:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
So there you are, standing at the toilet, flushing and cursing and flushing and cursing and frothing at the mouth and risking a wrist fracture from all that yanking on the handle with your brittle bones, but your last meal insists on floating atop the water like a gang of pale, bulky, malodorous fishing bobbers. Sure, there are other options besides flushing, but they’re not pretty, even if you believe in composting. And to make matters worse, there are oil droplets floating around the bobbers. Best remember not to toss a burning cigarette butt into the bowl.

This is pure gold.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 21:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/275/260 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Uh, no. If a lap-band patient nibbles on high-fat food, he or she will feel full. If he or she nibbles on carbohydrates, he or she will spike his or her insulin and then he or she will feel hungry and he or she will nibble again … and again … and again.

Quote:
The lap-band procedure squeezes your stomach down to a fraction of its former size – about the size of a golf ball. You lose weight because you are limited to tiny meals, which (if you’re following the recommended diet) consist almost entirely of proteins and non-starchy vegetables. Yes, that would make it a low-carbohydrate diet

Holy Schnikes! Someone with some sense!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 10:05

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Okay, I know I must be missing something here...so feel free to give me a smack and point it out!

If the people after obesity surgery are basically following a low-carb diet, then why is there such an increase in brittle bones?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
Okay, I know I must be missing something here...so feel free to give me a smack and point it out!

If the people after obesity surgery are basically following a low-carb diet, then why is there such an increase in brittle bones?
Because part of their intestines have been skipped, the part that absorbs a lot of vitamins and minerals. Basically bypass surgery induces malnutrition intentionally. It isn't the diet causing the problem, it's the effects of the surgery. I don't really think even vitamins can correct it because you need to absorb those nutrients in particular places and when those have been cut away... you simply can't.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 15:15

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

If you had a drug that produced the same effect, it would be universally decried and banned after the first few deaths. Well...unless it's was produced by big pharma of course, in which case it would take lots more people dying. Still it would be banned eventually.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 09:15
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The lap-band procedure squeezes your stomach down to a fraction of its former size – about the size of a golf ball.
That should be a perfect fit for those ever so popular "100 calorie snack packs"
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 18:31

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Where I work we have LOTS of people who have had this surgery, because our insurance covers it fully. Without exception, every single one of them IGNORES their doctor's advice, after the surgery, to take up some form of exercise, at the very least to do strength training. Strength training (among many other factors of course) increases bone density. But again, without exception, the attitude of my co-workers who've had the surgery is, "Hey, I'm losing weight, what do I need exercise for?" This has to be a factor.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 03:38

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I am so glad I found low carb before I tried to have surgery. If low carb didn't work, I was going to find out what I needed to do for the surgery. It's not been a quick, steady drop (due to myself, not the diet), but at least my obesity is managed without the dying and broken bones part.