Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 06:33

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

When I reheated my mixture this morning, it took the consistency of a cookie. It was even better this way. I think in the future, I will pour my mixture as cookies on a baking sheet and bake them!

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 08:39

Plan: 30/40/30
Stats: 225/135/135 Male 73 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think that adiponectin will be a viable supplement for the public any time soon. A similar hormone, leptin, is estimated to cost around $500/day for an effective dose. Also, many people would likely be averse to multiple injections per day.

If it is true in humans that adiponectin expression is optimized on a low fat diet just like mice (which I have doubts about), then this may be another argument for periodic carb loading while dieting; perhaps it would 'reset' adiponectin rhythms.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 08:45

BF:

That's depressing. Money again ! We could have the scientific means of correcting obesity, but of course no one could afford it. With more research, they could actually find a method of producing this hormone in a cost effective way.

Patrick
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Patrick--
Are you eating your cookie fat-free? Because you list your carb and protein on this experiment, but not the fat. I wasn't sure when I posted whether you were testing the optimal diet, or the low-fat diet, but with protein/carb ratios gleaned from the optimal diet.
I was thinking last night, when I should have been sleeping. Reading this forum too late at night plays hell with my circadian rhythms. (How nerdy can a joke get?)
Anyways, what I thought was, in mice the high fat ketogenic diet and the high-fat diet have totally different end results. Same with rats. What it comes down to, is that if you mix a certain amount of fat in with chow, the animals will get fatter when they eat it. Let's just say you hit that effect with 50 percent fat by calories for the sake of illustration. But if you pour more fat on the food, lets say to the point where 85 percent of calories are from fat, the rodents are actually less likely to become obese.
In my last post I mentioned how adding fat to carbs, while it might lower peak blood sugar, might prolong the elevation of blood sugar well above the fasting level all the same. What if you add more fat? If carbs are lowered at the same time, maybe the absorption of carbs could be slowed down even more; maybe the absorption of sugar from the intestine could be slowed down so much that much of the sugar coming into the system just displaces gluconeogenesis.
My favourite part of GCBC is the part where he writes about glucose (or at least carbohydrate) metabolism having glycerol phosphate as a byproduct, and this being needed to keep fats stored as triglyceride. Blood sugar being elevated over a longer period of time means substrate for the production of glycerol being available over a longer period of time. Visceral fat is more active than your standard adipose tissue; it has a greater tendency to break down into free fatty acids. Free fatty acids increase gluconeogenesis in the liver; makes sense. If free fatty acids are elevated above a certain level, it makes sense to start producing triglycerides; you'll need some glycerol to do this; you'll need some sugar to produce the glycerol.
If you look at the ketogenic diet for children with epilepsy, the fat used is generally saturated. There's a product called KetoCal that's a pre-mix for this purpose. About a year ago I looked it up, and the main ingredient was hydrogenated soy oil. Artificially saturated, but saturated all the same. I ran across a more recent ad for the product the other day, and it was listed as 'modified soy oil' or something to that effect. I don't know if they stopped hydrogenating the stuff, or just stopped fessing up about hydrogenating it, knowing that most people trust their doctors and won't look too closely at the labels.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a reason why they use saturated fat in this diet, beyond shelf life? Does it slow down the absorption of carbs more than polyunsaturate or monounsaturate? If it were best to choose between very slow absorption of carbs, and never raising blood sugar above a certain critical level, or to simply get it over with, have a higher blood glucose level for a shorter period of time and then spend more time in the fasting state, than a third alternative of the muddy middle ground, then maybe types of fat, and differential effects of those types of fat on the rate of intestinal absorption of carbs would come into play, a type of fat could be advantageous under one strategy and disadvantageous under another one.

Intermittent fasting fits nicely into this picture, food is jammed into a shorter period of time, presumably when actually eating, insulin is driven higher, as is blood sugar, but in between feedings more time is spent in the fasting state.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 09:15

BF:

Thank you for your very informational post Teaser.

For the first 2 weeks I'm not adding any fat to my mix. So it is virtually fat free. I intend to take note of what happens in the next 2 weeks and then start messing around with other parameters, like adding fat.

I'm testing if, by using Dr K. ratios for protein and carbs, I will be able to prevent muscle loss. And also, what will happen to my weight when I start adding fats in increments up to my Dr Ratio of 2.5x.

Patrick
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:55

BF:

I guess that leaves your overall food intake so low, it's almost a modified fast, really. Better you then me.
Tell you what, I'll eat your share of the fat meanwhile.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:04
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

Patrick..I realize your only a few days into this..but how do you feel on so few calories and no fat? Any cravings? Are you exercising while doing this experiment?

I ate 87% fat yesterday to see how I would perform with a LOT of exercise..I did great..sustained energy all day long just on some pemmican and cream...and a tiny bit of carb.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I guess that leaves your overall food intake so low, it's almost a modified fast, really. Better you then me.
Tell you what, I'll eat your share of the fat meanwhile.

Well I'm not sure I'll be able to sustain this 640 cal / day for 2 weeks. The fat won't have time to go bad, so I'll keep it.

I'm refreshing my memory right now on starvation diets. It looks like the body can only decrease its metabolic rate by 30% or so. And the fat that I lose is replaced by water, so that the fat cells can re-take fat quickly after the starvation period. I don't think I need 2 weeks to test this. I could make a mixture next week of 90g protein, 70g carbs and 225g fats to see if my weight will end up the same as previous or maybe even higher. If it stays lower, then I guess there is something to all this.

Patrick
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0u
Patrick..I realize your only a few days into this..but how do you feel on so few calories and no fat? Any cravings?

I get hungry after about 3 hours after a big mixture cookie. I can have 3 big mixture cookies per day. It's not luxurious for sure. I do feel a little lethargic and I'm cold. I'm just really afraid I could lose some lean mass. I do some weight lifting with simple dumbbells while watching a movie in the evening. That's pretty much it. But I'll have to increase that for Adiponectin latter in this experiment.

But soon I'll be able to add half a block of butter to it (225g) which happens to be my Dr K. fat ratio. So then, I will be having the exact ratios Dr K. recommends. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Because it's hard to test his ON diet, you really have to count everything. This way I will be able to test it for sure.

After that I want to put all my efforts into finding ways of increasing my Adiponectin levels.

Patrick
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:43

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Patrick--

... Anyways, what I thought was, in mice the high fat ketogenic diet and the high-fat diet have totally different end results. Same with rats. What it comes down to, is that if you mix a certain amount of fat in with chow, the animals will get fatter when they eat it. Let's just say you hit that effect with 50 percent fat by calories for the sake of illustration. But if you pour more fat on the food, lets say to the point where 85 percent of calories are from fat, the rodents are actually less likely to become obese...

... If you look at the ketogenic diet for children with epilepsy, the fat used is generally saturated. There's a product called KetoCal that's a pre-mix for this purpose. About a year ago I looked it up, and the main ingredient was hydrogenated soy oil. Artificially saturated, but saturated all the same. I ran across a more recent ad for the product the other day, and it was listed as 'modified soy oil' or something to that effect. I don't know if they stopped hydrogenating the stuff, or just stopped fessing up about hydrogenating it, knowing that most people trust their doctors and won't look too closely at the labels.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a reason why they use saturated fat in this diet, beyond shelf life? Does it slow down the absorption of carbs more than polyunsaturate or monounsaturate? If it were best to choose between very slow absorption of carbs, and never raising blood sugar above a certain critical level, or to simply get it over with, have a higher blood glucose level for a shorter period of time and then spend more time in the fasting state, than a third alternative of the muddy middle ground, then maybe types of fat, and differential effects of those types of fat on the rate of intestinal absorption of carbs would come into play, a type of fat could be advantageous under one strategy and disadvantageous under another one.

I don't have any answers to your questions; however, I've also been reading up online info about ketogenic diets to prevent seizures in children, and I was shocked to read that in order to ENSURE that the kids remain in a ketogenic state, they are kept dehydrated, permitted only 80 percent of the fluids needed to take them out of dehydration.

The article said that if they go out of dehydration, then they are no longer in a ketogenic state - so I really was confused, as the official Atkins website has many posters who continually tell every poster to keep drinking water, and MORE water, and ever more H2o.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:52

BF:

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v...by2004118a.html

Quote:
Objective: To evaluate interactions among leptin, adiponectin, resistin, ghrelin, and proinflammatory cytokines [tumor necrosis factor receptors (TNFRs), interleukin-6 (IL-6)] in nonmorbid and morbid obesity.

Research Methods and Procedures: We measured these hormones by immunoenzyme or radiometric assays in 117 nonmorbid and 57 morbidly obese patients, and in a subgroup of 34 morbidly obese patients before and 6 months after gastric bypass surgery. Insulin resistance by homeostasis model assessment, lipid profile, and anthropometrical measurements were also performed in all patients.

Results: Average plasma lipids in morbidly obese patients were elevated. IL-6, leptin, adiponectin, and resistin were increased and ghrelin was decreased in morbidly obese compared with nonmorbidly obese subjects. After adjusting for age, gender, and BMI in nonmorbidly obese, adiponectin was positively associated with HDLc and gender and negatively with weight (beta = -0.38, p < 0.001). Leptin and resistin correlated positively with soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor (sTNFR) 1 (beta = 0.24, p = 0.01 and beta = 0.28, p = 0.007). In the morbidly obese patients, resistin and ghrelin were positively associated with sTNFR2 (beta = 0.39, p = 0.008 and beta = 0.39, p = 0.01). In the surgically treated morbidly obese group, body weight decreased significantly and was best predicted by resistin concentrations before surgery (beta = 0.45, p = 0.024). Plasma lipids, insulin resistance, leptin, sTNFR1, and IL-6 decreased and adiponectin and ghrelin increased significantly. Insulin resistance improved after weight loss and correlated with high adiponectin levels.

Discussion: TNFalpha receptors were involved in the regulatory endocrine system of body adiposity independently of leptin and resistin axis in nonmorbidly obese patients. Our results suggest coordinated roles of adiponectin, resistin, and ghrelin in the modulation of the obesity proinflammatory environment and that resistin levels before surgery treatment are predictive of the extent of weight loss after bypass surgery.

Wow, like I said, after a time you reach a weight where Adiponectin goes up again and you reach a new equilibrium, which is obese. Fascinating!

Patrick
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 12:12

BF:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18227021

Quote:
OBJECTIVE: To study the effects of Liuweidihuang (LWDH) pills on plasma adiponectin level in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) rats. METHODS: Forty male OLETF rats were randomized into LWDH and control OLETF groups (n=20), and 10 male Long-Evans Tokushima Otsuka (LETO) rats served as the normal control group (LETO group). The rats in LWDH group were given LWDH pills (daily dose of 2.4 mg/kg) intragastrically since the age of 8 weeks, and the two control groups received water only. Regular blood glucose test was performed using oral glucose tolerance test, and the body weight and food intake of the rats were recorded on a weekly basis. At 8, 32 and 40 weeks of age, respectively, the rats were sacrificed for measurement of plasma adiponectin and plasma insulin. RESULTS: The food intake of the OLETF rats in both groups were significantly greater than the LETO rats (P<0.01). The rats in LWDH group developed diabetes since 30 weeks of age with an incidence of 28.6% at 40 weeks, which was significantly lower than that in the control OLETF rats (P< 0.01). CONCLUSION: Plasma adiponectin level is positively correlated to insulin sensitivity in OLETF rats, in which LWDH pills can increase the plasma level of adiponectin and improve the status of insulin resistance.

Info on LWDH here: http://herbalwayusa.com/SuppleFacts-LiuWeiDiHuang.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Wei_Di_Huang_Wan

Interesting...

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Fri, Apr-24-09 at 12:18.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 15:50

BF:

Quote:
DHA fish oil , It is now clear that patients with higher levels of DHA have lower amounts of insulin resistance. DHA is known to reduce the inflammation associated with blood sugar and insulin problems. It is also clear that DHA directly boosts the production of adiponectin by white adipose tissue, a hormone that may be key to the prevention of type II diabetes.
Quote:
Banaba leaf , The active component in banaba leaf, corosolic acid, has been shown to support weight loss while lowering levels of blood sugar, insulin, and triglycerides. This helped prevent fatty build up in the liver while raising the very important level of diabetes-preventing adiponectin. Banaba is a traditional remedy for diabetes in the Philippines , and new studies are showing it to have a powerfully helpful influence on white adipose tissue , a mechanism unlike any drug.
Quote:
Grape seed extract - Grape seed extracts also turns down inflammation in fat cells while boosting the highly protective adiponectin. They have been shown to assist blood sugar entry to cells with insulin-like activity. They also directly inhibit the advanced glycation end products (AGEs) that form in the circulatory system from excess sugar.
Quote:
Resveratrol , Resveratrol activates the SIRT1 gene, turning on other genes that directly influence insulin function and fat burning, leading researchers to conclude it may be helpful for diabetics. It reduces inflammation in fat cells and boosts adiponectin, a key problem for diabetics.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025405.html

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Fri, Apr-24-09 at 15:59.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 16:48

BF:

niacin and adiponectin[/URL

Quote:
Increased total and high-molecular weight adiponectin after extended-release niacin.

You have to be careful with some forms of niacin, as they might cause liver damage. The stuff that just dumps right into your system and makes you flush right away is the safest.

Things that raise adiponectin generally raise hdl; the reverse is also generally true. I don't know if always would be safe to say; but it's true with niacin, fasting, fish oil, exercise. There's a definite pattern here. Dr Davis at the Heartscan Blog cites normalized vitamin d levels as causing raised Hdl levels in his patients, big time.

I haven't read anything but the abstract in this study; but it sure fits the parameters we're looking for;

[URL=http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/abstract/EJE-08-0952v1]vitamin d adiponectin and hdl

Quote:
In the overall population, 25(OH)D is significantly inversely correlated with body mass index (BMI), systolic blood pressure (SBP), waist circumference (WC), fasting plasma glucose (FPG), insulin levels and HOMA index and positively correlated with adiponectin and HDL-cholesterol

Dr Davis also says that people with thyroid deficiency need to get that properly normalized, and that doing so will usually increase hdl. Probably that means improvements in adiponectin, too. So avoiding an iodine-deficient diet would be important to this strategy too.

Alcohol consumption raises hdl. And adiponectin.

alcohol and adiponectin

Might make the cookies taste funny. At least you'd have something to dip them in. Obvious reasons not to depend on this method too much.

Another thing Dr Davis likes is vitamin k2.

vitamin k2 and adiponectin

Quote:
Mice genetically engineered to lack the genes expressed in osteoblasts that enable osteocalcin secretion are unable to produce normal levels of pancreatic β-cells, and become glucose intolerant and insulin resistant. In addition to stimulating the production of insulin by β-cells, vitamin K-activated osteocalcin also increases production of adiponectin, an insulin-sensitizing hormone produced by fat cells (adipocytes), further improving insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. (Lee NK, Sowa H, et al. Cell 2007)

The good Doctor posted a while back about an association between osteoporosis and heart disease. There is also the association between dental health and heart disease. Vitamin D, Vitamin K, obvious connections here.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 17:08

BF:

vitamin d adiponectin hdl

That's the vitamin d link. Sorry about that; my computer ran out of power, and then I saved the post when I saw it was still there, I guess that's what caused the glitch.

I'm not sure how Vitamin A fits into all this;

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/273/33/20903.pdf

Quote:
How then can TTR play a role in mediating increases in C3
and ASP production? TTR is a plasma protein that is found
associated in a complex with retinol-binding protein (26). This
TTR-retinol-binding protein complex binds both thyroxine and
retinol and transports them through plasma to the sites of
action of the active forms: T3 and retinoic acid. Both T3 and
retinoic acid are regulators of gene transcription (28, 29). Both
have been implicated in adipocyte differentiation (30) and
acute gene regulation of adipsin and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase
(31–33). Cross-talk has been demonstrated between
thyroid hormone, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors,
and retinoid X receptors

But it gets delivered to fat cells in a thingy that also binds thyroid. This thingy has been found to stimulate production of ASP. This stuff has gotten a bad name as a possible cause of fat storage absent insulin. Mice raised on a ketogenic diet, when they grow, also grow their fat stores. They just don't get obese. Even though their insulin levels are never significantly elevated while on the diet, they do still have body fat.
But if the stuff that delivers the oil to the fat cells also brings the match, that's okay, right?