Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 15:06

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Eating fat and protein "causes" diabetes ..... (in rats)

Quote:
A Branched-Chain Amino Acid-Related Metabolic Signature that Differentiates Obese and Lean Humans and Contributes to Insulin Resistance
Christopher B. Newgard et al.

Summary
Metabolomic profiling of obese versus lean humans reveals a branched-chain amino acid (BCAA)-related metabolite signature that is suggestive of increased catabolism of BCAA and correlated with insulin resistance. To test its impact on metabolic homeostasis, we fed rats on high-fat (HF), HF with supplemented BCAA (HF/BCAA), or standard chow (SC) diets. Despite having reduced food intake and a low rate of weight gain equivalent to the SC group, HF/BCAA rats were as insulin resistant as HF rats. Pair-feeding of HF diet to match the HF/BCAA animals or BCAA addition to SC diet did not cause insulin resistance. Insulin resistance induced by HF/BCAA feeding was accompanied by chronic phosphorylation of mTOR, JNK, and IRS1Ser307 and by accumulation of multiple acylcarnitines in muscle, and it was reversed by the mTOR inhibitor, rapamycin. Our findings show that in the context of a dietary pattern that includes high fat consumption, BCAA contributes to development of obesity-associated insulin resistance.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...4131(09)00040-0

This is how it's being reported :

Diets high in fat and protein are most dangerous
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=48089

Too Much Protein, Eaten Along With Fat, May Lead to Insulin Resistance
http://www.animallab.com/News_Articles.asp?pid=522

Low-fat vegans unite!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 15:09

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Yikes, I bet this will be an active thread, lol
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Talking Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Yikes, I bet this will be an active thread, lol

Has been all day. See:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394155

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:37

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

I don't understand why rats are constantly used to research dietary issues for humans. Rats are grain eaters. Humans are omnivores. Omnivores are supposed to consume animal products, rats are not. How does something that leads to diabetes in rats therefore have a link to humans?

ETA: actually I just realized that rats are omnivorous, they eat insects and eggs in the wild. My bad.

Last edited by girlbug2 : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 09:45.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Actually rats are a pretty good model. They're omniverous and have a wide diet, like humans do. That's why they make such great scavengers in human populated areas. I think you're thinking of mice, I believe they tend to be more vegetarian than rats, but I'm not certain how much so. They could eat insects in the wild.

Rats actually eat mice!

http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatsMice.htm
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 13:52
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

But don't rats normally have a fairly low fat diet naturally? So eating a high fat diet won't produce the same results in a rat that it would in a human.

--Melissa
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
But don't rats normally have a fairly low fat diet naturally? So eating a high fat diet won't produce the same results in a rat that it would in a human.

--Melissa

I don't know. Are worms, grubs, insects and mice low fat?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 15:13.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 15:12

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I seem to remember that Dr. Eades, in a reply to a comment on his blog, has promised to do a post on this subject but has not gotten around to doing it. Maybe this will give him a nudge.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 19:06

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

If you read the abstract, you will see that it's too much protein (BCAA) that's causing this, not the fat. They are feeding these rats a high-fat diet with lots of added BCAA to it. I bet the amount of BCAA is really high.

Also, they specifically say that the group fed only a standard high-fat diet did not develop insulin resistance. There is nothing to this story, other than saying a low-carb/high-protein diet may not be the best. A low-carb/high-fat is healthier. That's the conclusion anyone should read from this experiment.

Patrick
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/218.2/200 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Sure it does!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 20:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile

--Melissa

My kids have pet rats and, yes, they do best on a diet that is 5% or less fat, 20% or less protein and the balance carbs.
Just because an animal can survive scavanging garbage that doesn't make it the ideal diet for it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 08:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.science.psu.edu/alert/Cavener2-2007.htm

That's the about the study on mice losing most of their adipose tissue (and half of their livers) with leucine restriction.

If leucine is a rate-limiting factor for fat storage in mice, and if the same holds in rats, there might possibly be something about taking branched chains in a purified form that tends to promote fat storage more in the visceral area, or maybe in the liver. As a precaution, I'm going to stop eating corn oil and branched chain aminos poured over rat chow for breakfast.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 08:26

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
...As a precaution, I'm going to stop eating corn oil and branched chain aminos poured over rat chow for breakfast.

LOL...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 13:38

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Unhappy Recipe for Diabetes: Too Much Protein, Fat

Quote:
Protein Worsens Insulin Resistance From High-Fat Diet

Too much "good" protein makes bad fats worse, new research suggests.

A high-fat diet may lead to insulin resistance, a major step on the path to type 2 diabetes. But cutting back on fat may not help those who continue to eat too much protein, find Christopher Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center at Duke University, and colleagues.

"There's not only fat in that hamburger but plenty of protein," Newgard tells WebMD. "We are overconsuming calories composed of all the different macronutrients, and together they have harmful effects." ...

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/2009...uch-protein-fat
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 08:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Leucine prevents muscle breakdown.

rat study

That link is about leucine preventing muscle breakdown in aging rats. That's good, right?

What does that do to the availability of various other proteins? Less protein breakdown might mean less free amino acids are available to the liver. Which could mean less glycine or less of other proteins that might be raw material to make glycine. Glycine has been shown to reduce homocysteine, visceral fat, and liver fat, and even increase HDL cholesterol in sucrose-fed rats. And that's just one amino acid that might be in shorter supply if muscle breakdown is prevented in this way.
Does the muscle break down just to be mean? Or is it releasing nutrients needed by the rest of the body? Whatever it might do to overall body fat, exercise has been shown to reduce visceral fat. It also increases muscle protein breakdown. Does the one contribute to the other? The muscle might be paid back, in time, as lowering visceral fat could reduce insulin resistance and make it easier for the muscles to suck in replacement nutrients later.