Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 365/338/185 Female 5 Foot 8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Your weirdest recipes and foods you eat- I wanna hear 'em!!

So I am an incredibly lazy person. And anything that is easy, tasty, and low-carb is pure heaven for me. I have been experimenting with different combos of foods for the past few weeks. One my husband thinks is really gross is Parmesean Herb Bacon! Basically bacon slices dipped in the leftover "breading" (I.E. parmesean cheese and dry italian dressing mix) that I had from making myself baked chicken. It is tastier than I thought possible, and I actually ate some for lunch the other day. My hubby looks at me like I'm nuts.

So what're your weirdest foods? I wanna hear em!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 20:20

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well, for a summer refreshing treat - Chilled sour cream with shredded cucumber, plus dill, garlic, and salt. A spin off of an old Greek recipe usually made with plain yogurt. Depending on your carb allowance, you could add some ground walnuts for crunch, too. Chill in the fridge and enjoy!

The following doesn't qualify as a weird recipe, but still very helpful:
The thing that has worked best for me (as a person who likes to save themselves work), is to buy lots of quart freezer bags and keep them close to the stove with a Sharpie. Every time there is leftover meat, I freeze it in portions to take to work with me. I write the date on the bag. The other day I bought a smoked turkey and did the same with about 1/3 of it. No stress when it comes to preparing my work lunch! I do the same with breakfast - make a ton of crustless quiche during the weekend, and freeze it. In the morning - grab and go. It has helped me stay on track with LCing.

Eliza

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz : Tue, Mar-17-09 at 12:14.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 20:55

Stats: 193/143/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Chilled sour cream with shredded cucumber, plus dill, garlic, and salt

Hey! That's what I eat with my Gyro meat. Yum!

I don't have any weird recipes, per se, but I do enjoy a small glass of jalapeno pickle brine every other day or so. Not only does it taste good, but it keeps me from getting sore after weight training and keeps me from getting cramps. (Yes, it's low carb even though there is vinegar in it. And yes, I do drink additional water to make up for the increased sodium).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 17:25

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default don't know if this qualifies as weird

I eat a ton of pre shredded cole slaw mix- have it as a higher fiber sub for my lunch salads and use it as a stir fry veggie.

Keeps me right as rain.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 08:57

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I will sometimes cut an orange bell pepper in half, fill the halves with ricotta cheese and sprinkle some splenda. It's a quick filling snack, but my family thinks it's the wierdest thing ever!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 00:04

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Everything I eat is weird. I make sour cream pudding, when I want a volumous amount of pudding. It's 6-8 tbs of sour cream, 4 tbs of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbs of unsweetened cocoa and 6-8 packets of splenda. I mix it all together looks like chocolate pudding, but IMO tastes better.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 11:38
WhatCanIDoThisTime?!

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 240/230/135 Female 5'3"
BF:too dang much!!!!
Progress: 10%

I make a low carb bread pudding out of pork rinds.....fools "normal" bread pudding lovers even!

Heat it up good and pour heavy whipping cream on it - YUM-O
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 12:16
I Love Butter !!

Plan: Meat and Eggs
Stats: 368/285/180 Female 5'11"
BF:Its scary!!
Progress: 44%

Weird is good sometimes because you can come up with some great stuff. I love cream cheese and sour cream so today I boiled some eggs and when they were still hot I mushed them up and add cream cheese. It was yummy. I also am addicted to fried Bologna lately. But too much sodium.

Mel
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:23

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default makes me want to bust out into song

Heee heee, Mel

Makes me smile, cuz I think of Weird Al's version of My Sharona (My Bologna)- hilarious, ya gotta love his food songs.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:59

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm super curious about that sour cream chocolate pudding!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%

Cool topic! Those weird snacks sound pretty good to me.

My Weirdest Snack Ever: Butter spread on top of a slice of Zero Carb Cheese with a couple Walnuts stuck on top. While I was making it I was thinking, "Yuck. I have such strange cravings." I was surprised I actually liked it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 18:17

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sour cream in soup is good. Not cooked in, but put on top when you serve it, and mixed in as you eat. Makes the soup much more filling.

I make peanut butter lemonade with water, bottled lemon juice and DaVinci SF peanut butter syrup. The smell takes a bit of getting used to.

Speaking of peanut butter, I put powdered peanut butter (from netrition.com) into coconut oil bark. Shredded coconut too, but that's not really weird.

Great thread idea!

Meg
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 18:37

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

When I make braised chicken thighs, after they're cooked and I take off the skin in order the shred the meat, my DH takes the skins and bakes them in the oven until crispy. Wow, talk about a yummy snack - better than pork skins because the level of saltiness can be controlled. I bet a LOT of people would just gasp in horror at the idea of eating a bunch of crispy chicken skins!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 05:33

Plan: Low Carb, Plexus
Stats: 526/487/250 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Well it's not a big leap from "crispy chicken skins" to pork skins , which I love when other foods seem bland. Dipping them in some French onion dip is yummy, I'll have to try that next time I get one of the store rotiserary chickens.

One weird thing I've had is canned tuna with some lo carb BBQ sauce. If you don't think about it when eating, it's actually good and simpler that a pork roast.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 06:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hmm, I don't know if any of my foods would qualify as especially "weird" but I do love sardines canned in olive oil as a yummy and easy snack. I always keep a few cans in my desk at work as if I get hungry there there are not a lot of LC options - though the newstand downstairs in the lobby does sell plain hard-boiled eggs, and 1.5 oz bags of raw, unsalted almonds - both of which I have bought to snack on from time to time.