Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
The secret to whole grain and legume consumption is moderation.

I'd actually change moderation to abstinence. Whole grains are healthiest in a bird's diet.

If you mill, soak, and ferment the hell out of grains like they recommend in Nourishing Traditions and otherwise process some of the anti-nutrients out of grains you have something almost, but not quite, harmless if you overlook the metabolic effects and issues with gluten that almost everyone has.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...ing-grains.html

To my way of thinking, why would you spend all that time making bird food less harmful for humans when there are other foods out there that are much better and don't require so much processing? What possible reason could humans have for eating bread other than addiction?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 10:44
Experimenter

BF:

I think this was the thread with the arguing about correlation and causation, if not, sorry.

#63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 19:58

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think this was the thread with the arguing about correlation and causation, if not, sorry.

Well sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 01:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersnap
the whole point is appetite control - once you have that down the rest is so easy....

That would be exactly why I do so well on low-carb. Carb-rich foods just don't keep me going long enough between meals and I then find I'm desperately hungry two hours after eating. That is precisely the moment when you get plagued by the snack-attack problem and eat stupid food and put on weight.

If I eat meals whose main calories come from some source of fat, then I don't get hungry between meals and have good energy levels for the entire time between meals. The "experts" can say what they want, but this is the only way of eating which keeps me happy!

Mind you, what has been interesting about this thread is that it shows that there are differences in what people can do well on: Judynyc and boboguy can do well on more carbs and caloric restriction, and manage to maintain their weight, but - certainly on this low-carb forum, surprise, surprise - they seem to be in the minority. The rest of us came here because other ways of eating just do not cut the mustard.

amanda
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 05:50
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
In other words, folks, nothing to see here, just the usual crapola. What a damn shame they didn't have the guts to actually put someone on a real low carb diet. I can guarantee their results would have been remarkably different.
took the words right off my keyboard!

good post rosebud.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 13:38

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
What possible reason could humans have for eating bread other than addiction?

Nancy,

Try one slice of toasted “Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Cranberry Hazelnut Bread” and you’ll find out.

Btw, there are four Trader Joe’s in the San Diego area.

Bo
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 16:35

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLC

Nancy,

Try one slice of toasted “Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Cranberry Hazelnut Bread” and you’ll find out.

that isn't exactly an answer, bo, and i'm curious too as to the point of eating bread as we know it today. unless you're going to argue that trader joe's bread has medicinal benefits, implying that it's just that damn good is pointless. especially on a low-carb message board.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 17:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:

Because the quote from the Bible is "give us this day our daily bread" not "give us this day our daily 6 rashers of bacon"
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM

that isn't exactly an answer, bo, and i'm curious too as to the point of eating bread as we know it today. unless you're going to argue that trader joe's bread has medicinal benefits, implying that it's just that damn good is pointless. especially on a low-carb message board.

How about the below answer from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution page 216 on a low-carb message board?

The Bountiful World of Maintenance

"Lifetime maintenance may not be much different from OWL for people with high metabolic resistance. If you are one of the lucky folks with low metabolic resistance, you may be able to eat most vegetables-including starchy vegetables, fruit, legumes and whole grains such as oats, barley, millet, wild rice, couscous or buckwheat. You may even be able to handle an occasional potato. But, and this is a significant distinction, that does not mean you can eat all of these things in one day."

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Wed, Mar-11-09 at 18:29.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 18:22
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
How about the below answer from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution page 216?

The Bountiful World of Maintenance

"Lifetime maintenance may not be much different from OWL for people with high metabolic resistance. If you are one of the lucky folks with low metabolic resistance, you may be able to eat most vegetables-including starchy vegetables, fruit, legumes and whole grains such as oats, barley, millet, wild rice, couscous or buckwheat. You may even be able to handle an occasional potato. But, and this is a significant distinction, that does not mean you can eat all of these things in one day."

Bo

Exactly Bo!!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
Because the quote from the Bible is "give us this day our daily bread" not "give us this day our daily 6 rashers of bacon"

The bible is about as correct as most low fat diet books.

I prefer to use rational thought and evidence to make my decisions.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 20:52
Experimenter

BF:

I doubt even the very devote eat much like they did in Biblical times.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 08:51

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
I doubt even the very devote eat much like they did in Biblical times.

But they sure did like fatty meat back then. What about the references to the fatted calf and all that?

To quote the Bible (found in Barry Groves' book, "Natural Health and Weight Loss"):

"The first indication that fat was prized in the Middle East comes in Genesis, with the story of Cain and Abel and the account of the first recorded offering to Jehovah.

'And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
'And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.
'And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel und to his offering.
'But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect."

OK, so the Lord's Prayer doesn't mention bacon, but, according to Genesis, God likes lamb and the fat of lambs - red meat and fat!!!

So, He must have been the very first low-carber! And if anybody knew what was good for human beings, then surely He did: He made us after all...

amanda
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
i'm curious too as to the point of eating bread as we know it today. unless you're going to argue that trader joe's bread has medicinal benefits, implying that it's just that damn good is pointless.

Surely you realize I would not consume nor recommend any food that did not fall into the healthy optimal nutrition category.

In fact, cranberries are full of antioxidants and have properties that can potentially help prevent urinary tract infections, heart disease, cancer, stroke and viral infections.

Hazelnuts, having special combination of oil (especially oleic acid rich oil structure), proteins, carbohydrate, beta-sitosterol, essential vitamins and minerals, giving hazelnut a special place among other nuts for its unique ability to protect against diseases. It is known that consuming only 25-30 gr of hazelnuts a day, is enough for daily vitamin E needs and a very good way of protecting against heart-vein diseases and cancer.

Bo
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 11:40
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
In fact, cranberries are full of antioxidants and have properties that can potentially help prevent urinary tract infections, heart disease, cancer, stroke and viral infections.

Hazelnuts, having special combination of oil (especially oleic acid rich oil structure), proteins, carbohydrate, beta-sitosterol, essential vitamins and minerals, giving hazelnut a special place among other nuts for its unique ability to protect against diseases. It is known that consuming only 25-30 gr of hazelnuts a day, is enough for daily vitamin E needs and a very good way of protecting against heart-vein diseases and cancer.

Bo

So then why not just eat the cranberries and the hazelnuts and ditch the bread? Just curious.

--Melissa