Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

i understand..

but theres always going to be outbreaks of food, there always a risk
look what happened to spinnach, beef, and peanuts....

nothing is safe to consume technically.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 18:31

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have done 2 pregnancies (currently still doing the 2nd one) and am still breastfeeding while on the Paleolithic diet.

I first got pregnant about 8 months after I started the diet. I still was getting used to diet and had a few cheat days where I gave into the carbs I was craving, but on a whole I mostly ate a loose Paleo Diet (compared to what I eat now). I pretty much eliminated what is in my signature, except I still ate the nightshades at that time. I did supplement with the usual recommended pregnancy tablets, for the folic acid (which has been proven to reduce cases of spina bifida) and iron. I had a complication free pregnancy and a very good birth (1/2 hour after giving birth I said I wanted to do it again).

This pregnancy I have been A LOT more strict, sticking to the plan in my signature 98% of the time, with my only give in craving to 86% cocoa chocolate (by the block full). I did start off with the supplements, but got told I should drop the iron and only do folate, as my diet was high in iron, and as I wasn't losing it (through menstruation) I could have too much iron. There was a concern that I wasn't putting enough weight on (not personally by my doctor but by the expected standards) so he sent me off to get a scan to check the growth of bub and all has been excellent. The only issue with this pregnancy (so far) is that this bub is breech and due in 3 weeks.... I'll let you know how it all goes.

I have felt a lot better the 2nd pregnancy (no morning sickness compared to the first one) although I have been more tired (I attribute that to looking after a little one (there will be 18 months between the two) though, not diet).
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 18:45

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamon
..listeria...
But this is very serious, in pregnant women. We are talking about, over TWENTY times the usual risk, in pregnant women, and the result of illness is frequently DEATH of the unborn child and sometimes the mother to.

Right now in pregnancy is not the time to push the raw milk esp. on someone who has not been taking it previously.
I don't think pregnant women are not more likely to get listeria. The problem is that if they do, the baby will almost certainly die. It's not a risk worth taking for that reason.

I would advise anyone to not drink milk of any kind or have butter, especially a pregnant mother (same for grains). This is the paleo area

Pure paleo is fantastic for a pregnancy and our GP was perfectly happy with what my wife ate while pregnant through the two paleo pregnancies.

Last edited by Tarlach : Wed, Feb-18-09 at 19:59.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 19:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sensible advice, Tarlach.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:31

BF:

I did a lot of research into the Listeria claims. Apparently the chances of ANYONE getting Listeria is very minimal, it is just that (as Tarlach said) if a 'normal' person gets Listeria, the effects are usually minimal, whereas if a person suffering from a lower immune system will almost be guaranteed to have a devastating result. This also includes the developing child inside a pregnant mother.

So firstly I'd have to be in the group to get Listera, then I'd have to actually be pregnant - but if I happened to be in that VERY SMALL percentage, I would almost certainly (I think the % given was along the lines of > 98%) lose my baby.

Also, many expecting mums get caught up in the hype about food, and avoid many foods for illogical reasons, as some things on the 'no-no' list are not at risk of Listeria, and if you follow correct safety practices (which does include the cooking of some foods) then you are pretty much safe from Listeria. In most western worlds, now days, the risk is even lower than it used to be as the hygiene standards are more strict.

I wish I still had all the sources of my research to quote for you, but unfortunately I don't, so if you wish to look into it further, you'll have to do it yourself. :P

Other than that.... For a healthy pregnancy, I always suggest to listen to your cravings, and then try to figure out what nutrient you are craving and try to supplement it with a Paleo option. With this pregnancy, I kept craving dairy... I suspected I needed calcium so increased my calcium intake (via almonds - a high source of calcium) and it went away. I also craved a lot of high energy foods, which after trying a variety of substitutes (trying to thing what nutrient I thought I was missing) and then just realised I wasn't eating enough, and that provided I ate lots of little meals a day, those cravings went too...

Still can't figure out the chocolate craving though :P I just think I'm addicted to the small percentage of sugar in there and because I caved in it's not going away... :P I've decided that with 3 weeks to go I'll let in to that though - as it's 86% cocoa with no dairy in it and stuff..
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:39

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Let's move this discussion beyond dairy.

I think you might want to consider whether ketosis during pregnancy is a good idea. Did anyone read the comments in the link to Eades' post that I provided? Even Eades and McCleary, two prominent low carb advocates, advise against ketosis during pregnancy. Stay paleo, by all means, but carb-up a bit.

Here's a quote from Micheal Eades, for your convenience:

Quote:
The medical literature (at least with animal studies; no one could ethically do such studies with humans) is pretty clear that ketogenic diets are NOT good for the developing fetus. I’m not an expert on this issue as it applies to developing fetuses, so I check with my friend Larry McCleary who is a pediatric neurosurgeon, low-carb advocate, and well read in the nutritional fetal development literature. He says that in the fetal brain most of the lipid synthesis is from glucose and to a smaller degree, lactate. Beta hydroxybutyrate (a ketone) is not a major contributor. In addition, the enzymes in the pathway from BHB to acetyl CoA in the fetal brain are poorly developed. Post natally they activate. Hence, BHB is not a major provider for ATP generation in the fetal brain. For these reasons he feels that a ketogenic diet might not be the best diet during pregnancy. But having said that, I (and he) don’t think a high-carb diet is the diet of choice either. A moderate carbohydrate diet with plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables along with healthy servings of meat would be ideal in my opinion. The fetal programming literature indicates that during the first trimester mothers-to-be should avoid a lot of refined carbohydrates because it is during this period that the fetal pancreas is being formed, and elevated sugar levels can possibly cause developmental problems in that organ leading to diabetes later on in life. During the third trimester mothers-to-be should load up on protein and fat. During this stage the fetus is growing like crazy and needs to be provided with the necessary protein, otherwise the fetus cannibalizes it from Mom or simply suffers the consequences.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:48

BF:

I did crave more fruits during my pregnancies... (especially in the 2nd trimester).
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:58

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've always been told that chocolate cravings are caused by manganese deficiency. I think bone broth (or just bones, if you're really Paleo) is the best way to get most minerals, including calcium and manganese.

Do you know a chiropractor or an acupuncturist? We used the Webster technique (chiro) and moxabustion/acupressure to turn all three of our babies into an optimum position. You can do the acupressure at home - it's described in "The Birth Partner." Actually, our acupuncturist gave us some moxa and we did that at home too. But don't do either of those before you're ready to go into labor - they really get things going! A chiropractor can help you now.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 23:08

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

Ketosis would be pretty hard to maintain during pregnancy. I think the usual cravings for fruit/veg would keep you well out of ketosis???
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 05:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've always been told that chocolate cravings are caused by manganese deficiency. I think bone broth (or just bones, if you're really Paleo) is the best way to get most minerals, including calcium and manganese.

Do you know a chiropractor or an acupuncturist? We used the Webster technique (chiro) and moxabustion/acupressure to turn all three of our babies into an optimum position. You can do the acupressure at home - it's described in "The Birth Partner." Actually, our acupuncturist gave us some moxa and we did that at home too. But don't do either of those before you're ready to go into labor - they really get things going! A chiropractor can help you now.

I'll have to try the bone broth then... makes sense now that you say that... I don't think I get much in the way of manganese....

I am having an ECV (manual turning of the baby) tomorrow, so not much chance of finding a chiropractor or acupuncturist to try before then.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 07:39

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I've always been told that chocolate cravings are caused by manganese deficiency.

I thought it was a magnesium deficiency. That's why a lot of women crave chocolate during TOM. Adding more magnesium usually works for me to solve that.

Either way, bone broth is definitely the best choice solution.
Mmmm. Broth. Must be time to make more soup...
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 07:47

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
I'll have to try the bone broth then... makes sense now that you say that... I don't think I get much in the way of manganese....

I am having an ECV (manual turning of the baby) tomorrow, so not much chance of finding a chiropractor or acupuncturist to try before then.

Good luck with your version!

EVERY one of my 5 children was breech right till the last second. It made me so anxious with my first and second (ended up having 5 c-sections). My first turned vertex one week AFTER he was due (he was 16 days late). Gawd, that was an experience.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 09:08

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*

Good luck!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 21:10

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
. I think bone broth (or just bones, if you're really Paleo) is the best way to get most minerals, including calcium and manganese.

I ordered some bone meal today along with some magnesium to pair up with my vitamin d and cod liver oil. I wonder if anyone else here takes bone meal? All of the reviewers for it were talking about how great it was for their pets!

Oh well, it was recommended by Weston Price as a calcium supplement and I tend to listen to their advice. I always like taking things in their whole, animal form too instead of the straight up chemical form. I feel like I get more bang for my buck that way.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 22:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Poor capmikee, when I was pregnant he could't get any food into me. If I ate anything it was Ellio's pizza (yuck). I was so sick!

I wish I had eaten paleo then but I couldn't stomach anything!

Good luck with the EVC - I hope all is well.