Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 05:06
Registered Member

Plan: 0
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:

Gosh Capmikee, sounds like you have got yourself sorted in the recipes department. Thank you for the lard tip - I will definately give it a whirl.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Choirs, I'm sorry I didn't get back here yesterday, I sort of hung you out to dry after a quick reply. Work got in the way, lol, but it sounds like you got some good help.
First; breakfast. Aside from eggs, leftovers from dinner make terrific breakfast. I had to stop thinking of certain foods for certain times of day. It made it a lot easier, and saved time in the morning. Yes, steak and poultry and burgers and roast beef(not the stuff from the deli injected with chemicals!) and fish and seafood and... so much good and yummy stuff. You can eat so many great foods now, and get healthy.
The reason for no carrots and celery; carrots are full of sugar, but mostly because if you have candida, your intestines are probably pretty fragile. Raw veggies are pretty rough on them, and they really need to heal. As an aside, unless the celery is organic, it is also one of the most chemical laden crops that are grown, and not so good for us.
Probiotics are an excellent addition. Good! Great idea. Can you get extra virgin coconut oil? This is very good for you also, and delicious. You can use it to fry foods, I put a little on top of whatever I'm warming up for breakfast so it doesn't dry out, and it really tastes good too.
You are going to do just great on this way of eating(woe), and yes, your belly will shrink away.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 07:50

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirs
Thanks Starina sounds good, did you mean no raw carrots and celery I thought they were ok to eat. I will definately buy some slippery elm. This is all terribly confusing. Are there any real guidelines out there.

You don't list a plan in your information. On Atkins carrots are not allowed as they are too carby. I would suggest you investigate some of the lc plans and pick one to work with, Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power etc. There is a link here on the site that compares plans. If you don't want to lay out money for a book, then you could probably check them out at your local library.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 08:12
Registered Member

BF:

Camaromom(fun name),
The information I gave Choirs is for a Candida control way of eating. It isn't a 'diet' really, it is just the way those of us that have serious issues with Candida need to eat.
Once we get the overgrowth under control, then we can figure out 'diets'.
I usually suggest buying DANDR as a first step to just about everyone, but this is a special situation.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 04:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you people for your advice. I do have more of a clue now of what I can and can't eat. I must say since starting this diet about 4 days ago, I am now getting pretty severe stomach cramps for some reason. I have trouble sleeping at night. I have to try to relax. Is this part of the 'die off' symptoms because it is quite unbearable!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 06:56
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning Choirs. I'm sorry you are having cramps. It may very well be die off, could you tell us what you have been eating? How long have you been eating 'clean'?
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 07:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Starina, I have been eating 'clean', this is the 4th day now. I have been eating a boiled egg for breakfast usually with gluten free toast (i know I have to cut that out), then cauliflower, broccoli and salmon for dinner or squash, quinoa, onion and garlic all of these with olive oil and salt, celery, avocado, rice puffs with rice dream very small bowl with only a little rice dream first 2 days then realised rice dream has loads of sugar and puffed rice is also bad. I have been drinking fennel tea or yogi tea all sugar free.

These cramps are really bad I tell you, almost unbearable. Strangely enough though my skin looks fantastic, my eyes are sparkling and my fatigue I usually have in the morning has lessened a little. My friend even commented I look really well. I am also quite constipated although I am managing to go 1 x a day, I have ordered some slippery elm so hopefully that will sort that out. How long is this (the cramping) going to last for?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 08:32
Registered Member

BF:

Well, you are not really eating clean if you are eating toast. I'm sorry to tell you this, but it is true. I fell like the food nazi, sigh, but as long as you're eating grains, you haven't really got going on this, because... you are still feeding the yeast. Sorry . Also the quinoa, onion, rice puffs, rice dream...
If you are 'going' daily, you are not truly constipated. Your body needs time to adjust. What is your fat consumption like? Can you up that? Coconut oil is yummy and very good for candida. Are you taking any supplements? Anti-fungals?
Again, I feel like I'm coming off as a b*tch, but, this takes a bit of time to see any sort of result, not a quick fix silver bullet situation.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 08:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hiya,
Ok I will cut out quinoa (although I thought that was all protein!) and rice dream, rice puffs - I was trying to cling onto them in desperation! Onion? I thought that was good.

I forgot to say I have started to take coconut oil 3 teaspoons a day so I will up that. I just bought some chicken, fish and steak today so that will be upping my fat won't it?

About the antifungals, I thought I'd leave them for a couple of weeks till I get rid of the 'die off' symptoms. I am also taking a strong probiotic but to be honest I have spent a lot of money lately on vitamins and supplements as Bee's website recommends so I am a bit strapped for cash at the moment. The plan was to do the diet for a while then do the antifungals or Gastropax (I posted about this fast cure) and then get some threelac. What do you think. Thanks very much for the advice I really do appreciate it.

Actually to be honest I am feeling a bit confused because Bee and you guys say one thing and then this Doctor in Harley street, Dr Gaier thinks quite differently and he is a homeopathic, naturopathic etc. etc. quak who has prescribed this diet. Which bizarrely includes fruit. I just thought I will give it a while on this diet but if I become ill then I will have to introduce some sort of sugar. Check this out this is his diet protocol http://www.drgaier.com/advice.html
The gut fermentation diet. I wrote him an email to ask how much he charges and yes it's a LOT of money - £90 per half hour £180 for an hour. I thought I might be cheeky and ask him why he has sugars in his diet. In fact I am going to do that now. Lets see if we can get an answer.

It seems as if everyone is starving themselves on here, spending lots of money and not actually curing themselves. I don't mind living in Ethiopia for a while but if I don't shift this and my large gut then it is a waste of time!

Last edited by choirs : Sat, Feb-07-09 at 08:57.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 09:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quinoa is a grain. Onion is sugary, and can cause gastric distress in a lot of people. Coconut oil is good, up very slowly, maybe even cut back if you think you upped it too quickly. It can upset stomach if jumped into too fast, I don't know how long you have been taking it, so just speculating. Usually start with one teaspoon, and up slowly after you're sure it agrees. Can cause cramping if too much too fast.
I'm not suggesting that you take more stuff, honestly, lol. Just wanting to see what you are taking. Which pro biotic? what supps, etc... just trying to get a clear picture.Yay for adding the chicken steak fish. Good going there.
Don't add any pills, etc.. just eat a clean diet for now, and can you post a link to this 'bee' site? It will help me understand what you are taking a bit better.
Ummm, sugars feed candida. Period. No if and or but about it. Gastropax will kill off your beneficial gut flora. I would not recommend this diet to anyone, never mind someone with candida. No way!
You will not become ill without sugar, just healthy. Honest!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 09:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi,

Here is this Bee's site http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co...cles/intro2.php
I have written to that Dr Gaier chap but I am not expecting too much, he is not that friendly but I will post on here when I get an answer.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, thanks Choirs. It looks pretty good. I would stay clear of Dr. Gaier from reading his site. You can certainly do this yourself.
Can you tell me what you are taking for supplements and pro bio please? Trying to get clear idea.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I am taking Biocare 24 billion bio-acidophilus forte - lactobacillius acidophillus and bifobacterium bifidum 1 capsule a day.

Then I am taking half teaspoon crushed egg shells, vitamin b complex tablet, magnesium tablet, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, milk thistle that's it.

Why are you dismissing Dr Gaier, he is a doctor, it's pretty clear to me that people are just abating their symptoms on this site not actually eliminating them. Why do you dismiss Gastropax? Have you yourself had any experience with it? It may be really effective for all we know. I will probably be going down that route sooner or later. My candida is mild to moderate - I don't have any thrush or athletes foot, I just have a very large stomach, fatigue and cold hands feet. I don't want to be on this diet for the rest of my life and if it means trying some other method then so be it.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 11:49
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I'm not dismissing Dr. Gaier, just his protocol. The fact that he is a doctor does not make him infallible, just a doctor. His diet is quite high in processed foods, artificial sweeteners, sugars, and grains. I know that this will continue feeding the candida fungus, as well as causing additional irritation to the digestive system. An overgrowth of candida is most often accompanied by 'abraded' intestinal lining.
I am concerned that Gastropax may destroy all of the very necessary intestinal flora, because intestinal flora is anaerobic. Also, he keeps talking about bacteria, candida is a fungal overgrowth. If you have candida, and you 'cure' it, and then go back to eating the way you ate before the 'cure', you will have the same problems as pre-'cure'. Maybe not immediately, but as soon as something stresses your system sufficiently.
Eating foods that don't feed candida will eliminate all the symptoms of candida, you don't have to be as strict forever, as at the beginning of the 'diet'. You do need to be careful though.
If you want to try other methods, please, do so. I was trying to be helpful. I have had a lot of experience in dealing with candida, and have been free of symptoms for many years. I have also assisted others in clearing candida. This is not a disorder with a 'silver bullet' magical cure. Again, I was trying to be of help, not forceful. Everyone needs to find their own way to do things. I wish you well, and if you would like any additional information, I'm happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 12:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi,

Ok. Well, it does seem a good idea to get rid of everything with something like gastropax and then build it up with probiotic e.g threelac. I can't see the point in using antifungals when they will be clearing all the good bacteria too. You might as well clear the whole area and start afresh. I know that sounds a bit simplistic but if he is getting good results i.e full recovery in such a short time then that maybe is the way to go. I certainly don't want to be on this diet for months on end before I notice any change. I know you are trying to help but if you have cleared your candida why are you still participating in this forum? I'm not being rude I just have read a few threads and it seems people are not clearing up their problem.