Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 12:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/195/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Lend it, buy it, borrow it, rent it ... just don't steal it.

The "Follow the money!" bit is indeed a parody of "All The President's Men."

KarenJ, I'm also a capitalist pig, and no, the number of reviews isn't related to the number sold, thank goodness. Most people don't post a review.

I'm not sure if we get paid anything extra each time a movie is rented. Obviously, the rental places have to buy copies of the film, and we get a percent of those sales.

Hairballz, I sure hope your friend at work re-thinks her diet. In Jay Wortman's "My Big Fat Diet," they interviewed a woman who'd lost a total of 7 pounds after months on Jenny Craig. She'd tried a bunch of low-fat diet programs, all failures. Everyone always assumed she must be cheating. On the Big Fat (low-carb) diet, she lost 68 pounds.

MrFreddy, capitalist pig or not, I don't mind when people lend out their copies of the film. Yes, I hope to make a profit eventually, but I also want people to grasp the information that's in it. I've become a bit of a low-carb evangelist. Besides, we've noticed that very often after seeing the film, people will buy a copy for themselves and a copy for a friend or relative who is overweight or diabetic.

A double quarter pounder with the bun isn't low-carb, but it's not high-carb either. There's more fat and protein than carbs. I ate a fair number of those while losing the 12 pounds. Obviously people would be better off skipping the bun totally -- which is what I do now -- but I wanted to demonstrate eating fast food in a manner that most people would be willing to try.

Depending on how insulin-resistant your co-worker is, she may be fine at 80 grams of carbs. I can lose weight at 100 grams or so, although I typically don't go that high. And if we get most people down to eating 100 grams of carbs per day, that would be gigantic improvement. The average daily intake is 500 grams.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 13:21

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

As an aside... I finally figured out how to eat double-cheeseburgers without having to order them without the bun, which seems to traumatize teenage counter folks at the local Burger King (!!) - I take the top bun off completely, then take the bottom bun off and fold it in half, just insert the burgers into the small "taco" like folded up 1/2 of a bun, and enjoy. The folded up bun gives you an easy hand-hold on the burger. Yes, it's some carbs, but not a terrible amount and it makes eating a burger much easier and enjoyable. I still get to eat it with my hands, which "feels" better. If your diet can tolerate the carbs from the bottom half of the bun (which is typically smaller than the top), enjoy!

Last edited by Hairballz : Wed, Feb-25-09 at 13:26.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 13:42

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaughton
The "Follow the money!" bit is indeed a parody of "All The President's Men." .

Oh see, that's why I didn't recognize it - I'm not OLD like you guys!!! Sorry, couldn't resist the jab, but I do think "All the President's Men" came out while I was too young to have noticed.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 13:54

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
As an aside... I finally figured out how to eat double-cheeseburgers without having to order them without the bun, which seems to traumatize teenage counter folks at the local Burger King (!!)

That's how I eat them too. And once I get to the folded half of bun, I start ripping off pieces of it so all that's left is the piece between my two fingers.

Another technique that works well is to manipulate the burger so it slides up out of the bun. This is a lot harder to explain. You sort of "squish" it up and out, leaving behind the bun.

Talk about traumatizing the teens! LOL.
I was at a farm fest, and when I ordered the polish sausage I asked if I could see the bun first. The teenager gave me the bun, then was MORTIFIED when I proceeded to remove 90% of the bread from the bun. I gave it back to and said "OK, now you can put the sausage on".
It was like I had three heads.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 13:55

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
I take the top bun off completely, then take the bottom bun off and fold it in half, just insert the burgers into the small "taco" like folded up 1/2 of a bun, and enjoy.

Sounds like what I do with pizza, every rare once in awhile. I'll order two or three slices as full of cheese and sausage and pepperoni as I can get the place to muster up, and then I scrape it all onto one slice, which I devour with glee, leaving the crust, of course. I got that idea from Dr. Eades, I think...

Last edited by mrfreddy : Wed, Feb-25-09 at 14:02.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 14:13

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
The teenager gave me the bun, then was MORTIFIED when I proceeded to remove 90% of the bread from the bun.

That's the proper way to make a Philly hoagie or cheesesteak.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 14:13

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
I was at a farm fest, and when I ordered the polish sausage I asked if I could see the bun first. The teenager gave me the bun, then was MORTIFIED when I proceeded to remove 90% of the bread from the bun. I gave it back to and said "OK, now you can put the sausage on".
It was like I had three heads.

OH MY, rolling on the floor about that one!!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 14:19

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
As an aside... I finally figured out how to eat double-cheeseburgers without having to order them without the bun, which seems to traumatize teenage counter folks at the local Burger King (!!)

How strange that they would have a problem with it. I'm gluten-intolerant and have never had anyone even blink when ordering bun-less burgers for the entire family (my boys can't have gluten, either). It does throw them for a loop, though, when you ask if they have dedicated fryers for their french fries. Burger King will usually even put the burgers in nice little plastic dishes so you can easily cut them (I don't like lettuce wraps).

We watched "Fathead" last Sunday and laughed our butts off. What a great movie with a good message. Even my boys (14 and 11) loved it.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 22:52
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Netflix ordered copies of "Fat Head," so it should be available any day now.

I hope so! It was available to save on Netflix but not able to put it in my queue yet. I can't wait!

Amazon is also out of stock. Too much demand I suppose.

Last edited by RawNut : Tue, Mar-03-09 at 08:20.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 19:11

BF:
Progress:
Default Amazon

Amazon has re-stocked. They order indie films in small shipments, according to our distributor.

Netflix ordered 80 copies, but I guess they haven't put them in stock yet.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 19:42
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Amazon has re-stocked. They order indie films in small shipments, according to our distributor.

Netflix ordered 80 copies, but I guess they haven't put them in stock yet.

Thanks!

I've been keeping track at Netflix and there've been 18 ratings with 3.7 stars - almost 4 stars! So, it's been out there for at least a little while.

Has Netflix ordered an additional 80 copies or 80 in all? I'm going to keep it in my queue and order it from Amazon. If I get it from Amazon, I can lend it to people and keeping it in my queue will let Netflix know that it's in demand... or should I take it out of my queue in order to let someone else see it sooner??? Arrgg!!
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 12:57

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Tom, I just wanted to thank you for a great movie. I've been trying to get my husband to read Taubes' book, so he can respond to all the bs his doctor spouts without having to rely on me to pass him lines like Cyrano hiding in the bushes. But his tolerance for a long, technical book is low, so he usually just eats what I tell him to eat and passes off rote replies to the doc when he sees him. Watching your movie finally gave him the info he needed in a palatable format, for which I'm deeply grateful! So glad I bought it, as I'll have it on the shelf for sharing with friends and family.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 09:53

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
As an aside... I finally figured out how to eat double-cheeseburgers without having to order them without the bun, which : seems to traumatize teenage counter folks at the local Burger King (!!)

OMG that made me
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 11:03

BF:
Progress:
Default Netflix, etc.

Netflix ordered 80 copies total. My distributor says that's double what they usually order for an unknown indie film. If it gets rented out right away, I'm sure they would order more.

Lene, you just made my day. I'm so glad to know this little documentary is having an effect on people. (May we assume that you have a normal-sized nose, in spite of your whispering from the bushes?)
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:10

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

My nose is as small as ever, and I'm thankful for the respite from having to be the walking medical encyclopedia and phrasebook in the family. I did dearly love Taubes' book, and having read it three times now, still find it an education. But most of the people in my family found it just too dry and dense for pleasure, and since I was already on hand, stuffed with info, why bother slogging through it? Your movie gave them the basics in an informative and entertaining format, which has made all the difference.