Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 08:52
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%
Default Treadmills

Not sure where to post this so putting it here.
I am going to purchase a treadmill this year. I have been wanting one for years and have decided it time. So I am wanting some suggestions.
I have been online looking at the ones at Walmart...anyone have one and how dependable are they? I dont want to fork out that much money and have it die on me like a year later.
Should I get a more expensive brand name one or what?
I am willing to put some good money into one I am just not sure what amount is a good amount for a dependable nice treadmill.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!
So let me hear from ya...who has what and where and how much!?!? all that stuff I wanna know...hehe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 12:27

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

Gem...

This could be a catch 22..reason why is you dont want to fork out alot of money for a treadmill..but if you get a cheaper one..then YES they wont last..Personally I like Sears..right now and earlier they had a sale on all their fitness equipment.

U might go online and look at rating for home gym equipment. Look at the quality/workmanship/warranty/the width and length of the actal "bed"..I dont know off hand the names of any treadmills. Not sure what size of area you live in..but might go to your phone book and look at places that carry them and go from there. They can be a costly investment give or take..But so well worth it. My bil spent about 3500.00 on his but he's a runner and needed one for winter when its to cold to run outside.

Best of luck finding one.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 12:34
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

OUCH $3500 is not in my range at all, but will to put in a grand or so. I was really looking at a Nordic track brand and a ProForm from Sears...both around $1000 or so. I plan on doing some more research online..have like 5 different ones bookmarked already. Thanx for the feedback!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 17:42

Plan: General Low-Carber
Stats: 204/150/145 Male 162cm
BF:

I have a NordicTrack C2000 and it's great. Feels nice and sturdy, has incline, and it speaks to you with the iFit cards. Also lets you connect your mp3/ipod to it.

I've only had it a few months so can't say if it's reliable long-term, but so far, it's great.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/154/135 Female 64"
BF:Always on my mind
Progress: 10%

Bought a mid-range TM from Sears 15 yrs ago....still smooth as silk - timer / gadgets still work, inclines...can't find excuse to buy a new one.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 17:44
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

In my opinion, it's worth forking out the money for a good heavy duty treadmill.

Me, being as heavy as I am, do not feel safe and therefore AVOID using my newly purchased treadmill because it's so flimsy.

Fork out the dough, love you new treadmill.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 21:28
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I bought mine from sears about 8 years ago for just over $600. It's stilll running fine. Not many fancy gadgets, but I won't use them anyway. I like to control my speed and distance manually, so I wouldn't pay extra for all preprogrammed stuff. You just need speed, and incline, and usually I don't even use the incline. Look for a model that has a weight limit of over 300 pounds though, if the weight limit is low, the horsepower probably is too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-09, 19:47

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 191/182.5/150 Female 5`6"
BF:????
Progress: 21%

I recently purchased a Pro-Form off Overstock for about $500. I really didn't have a lot of money to spend but was VERY happy with the quality. Even when I'm jogging at 5.5 mph it is very stable. I chose not to put the "arm bars" but that would also be an extra bonus if that is something you are looking for. I think Sears may carry this same model. (Although I liked the fact that it was delivered to my door through Overstock for only a couple of bucks)

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...80/product.html
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-09, 22:10
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Just ordered mine!!! ProForm Crosstrainer =) Sears Should be here Wednesday...I am so excited!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-09, 15:20

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

finding the right treadmill is so important! Hope you just love yours

I have the Nordic Track view point that has the built in TV & Fan and I LOVE IT!!!!

It has the right amount of cusion when walking and it just feels right.

Good luck
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-09, 15:51
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Got it yesterday and LOVE IT!!! Just need to keep my 3 year old away from it. Have to teach her its not her new toy!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 06:22

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 265/244.4/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Just got my treadmill and can't wait to get started! It really is different from my usual outdoor walking!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 06:38
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachNBay
Just got my treadmill and can't wait to get started! It really is different from my usual outdoor walking!

hehe it is totally different...the first couple of days I couldnt let go and walk. Its just weird, but now I am almost jogging on it hands free. Note I said ALMOST jogging...LOL I have my 3 year old on a schedule with me too.
She walks for 10 minutes everyday before I walk. =)
Trying to teach her better habits than I had when I was young.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 03:57

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 265/244.4/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem52372
hehe it is totally different...the first couple of days I couldnt let go and walk. Its just weird, but now I am almost jogging on it hands free. Note I said ALMOST jogging...LOL I have my 3 year old on a schedule with me too.
She walks for 10 minutes everyday before I walk. =)
Trying to teach her better habits than I had when I was young.

It really IS different! My DD used to jog daily on hers.
I was addicted to my outside walking in the past. Was up to 3 miles in the am/3 miles at night. Nothing kept me from it, even lightning storms lol I used to have my running shoes with me at all times, even for family functions, even in "suit and heels" situations, cuz I figured ya just never know when ya might get a mile in! Once the heat and humidity got so high in the summer (and I had no treadmill) I fell off the walking wagon. I miss it. Getting my body "defatted" and getting so toned and tight was fantastic, given that I actually started walking to relieve stress!
Thank heavens I now have the treadmill, so no more excuses with the weather!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 07:29

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I LOVE my treadmill! I worked out in a gym for 2 years before converting a room in my house to a home gym, and the treadmill's a big part of that. I particularly love NOT having to think about what I'm wearing, how I look, etc - I could work out in my undies if I wanted to (I'm sure the world is grateful for the fact that I DON'T want to! LOL!!), it just doesn't matter. I was very happy to let go of having to buy the "right" gym clothes and worrying about what others around me in the gym were lifting versus what I was lifting, etc. I get in my home gym and just go, do whatever I want un-self consciously. It's wonderful - wish I hadn't wasted so much time in a real gym and had converted to a home gym sooner. Weather be damned! Stylish gym clothes be damned! I'm gonna go work out anyway!!!